More grip n rip and less peel n squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 17 Tradesmen that's slightly modified for performance. I keep breaking loose at the light. I'm looking for advice on a wider and or lower profile tire that won't effect the suspension or clearance.
I do know that I will lose "cushion or bounce" on a lower profile tire but I feel it will stick better plus I think it will look nicer. My thought was to go one or maybe two sizes wider and lower ??
Original size tire is 265/70 17s

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 17 Tradesmen that's slightly modified for performance. I keep breaking loose at the light. I'm looking for advice on a wider and or lower profile tire that won't effect the suspension or clearance.
I do know that I will lose "cushion or bounce" on a lower profile tire but I feel it will stick better plus I think it will look nicer. My thought was to go one or maybe two sizes wider and lower ??
Original size tire is 265/70 17s

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Alot of the lower level trucks,like the Tradesmen don't have a limited slip / posi diff , so changing to a wider tire,might not accomplish as much as you'd like,as it'll still be a 1 wheel peeler :waytogo:

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does leave a pair, when I punch it. Other than that, that's usually when the tire grabs is when the semi slip kicks in.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My Eco-diesel will spin the tire on take off & i am turning right .
If i am going in a straight line, there is no spinning.

It does have the Limited Slip Differential

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What can you tell us about your tires, other than just size?
Like brand? Tread? Also, is your truck a regular cab, quad,
crew, etc? Weight over the rear axle might be a factor as well.

My truck is stock, no mods, but the 5.7L is no slouch, imho.
I really don't think my tires are anything special when it comes
to dry traction but they just don't break loose when going straight.

Also, limited slip 3.21 rear, quad cab, 8-speed, and Falken Wildpeak
tires at P275/60R20, typically inflated at 36-39psi.

armyvet25

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 1969 383ci
ok, first off, are we talking street driving or track?
lower profile tires do not aid in the traction, the exact opposite...see any low profiles on race cars??? Low profiles stiffens the tire less flex and grip prone to spinning. Wider will help.
If for racing, plenty of ways to add rear traction, traction control bars, lower tire psi, 6cyl front springs-allows the front to raise up faster on take off planting more weight to the rear...etc etc
When exactly do your tires break traction??

armyvet25

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 1969 383ci
Also, most people have a false idea on correct air pressure for their tires he said she said syndrome.
Over inflation will increase tire spin and stiffer ride, under will cause incorrect tire wear, look up and use the "chalk" method to determine correct tire psi for your rig, adjust as necessary for towing. I find most of my trucks never needed more than 28-32psi YMMV

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What can you tell us about your tires, other than just size?
Like brand? Tread? Also, is your truck a regular cab, quad,
crew, etc? Weight over the rear axle might be a factor as well.

My truck is stock, no mods, but the 5.7L is no slouch, imho.
I really don't think my tires are anything special when it comes
to dry traction but they just don't break loose when going straight.

Also, limited slip 3.21 rear, quad cab, 8-speed, and Falken Wildpeak
tires at P275/60R20, typically inflated at 36-39psi.
I have Wrangler AT/S tires, I'd say they're a little over a year and a half old. As far as the tread goes I would say a little less than normal, where as I like to sometimes punch it and I do leave some rubber behind. LOL. I can squeal em, even if I'm already rolling. The wife HATES that.
I have the regular cab and also the 3.21 rear end with limited slip and the 8-speed trans. I also have a cab on the back with four rims and used tires. These are the rims that I'm looking to put the new tires on. I also keep my tires inflated about 40 PSI.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, first off, are we talking street driving or track?
lower profile tires do not aid in the traction, the exact opposite...see any low profiles on race cars??? Low profiles stiffens the tire less flex and grip prone to spinning. Wider will help.
If for racing, plenty of ways to add rear traction, traction control bars, lower tire psi, 6cyl front springs-allows the front to raise up faster on take off planting more weight to the rear...etc etc
When exactly do your tires break traction??
I WISH there was a track by me !!!
I believe the closest track is about 2 hrs away, and from what I read on the feedback sometimes you get to only do anywhere from 3 or 4 to 1 run at $50 a day. I don't know about race cars but I do see lower hight tires on sports cars compared to non-sports cars.
I have given some thoughts to adding a rear traction control bar but I know nothing about them and wld also need to consider a shop to do the work. I live in a condo and we're NOT allowed to work on cars on the lot.
I mostly break loose at the line, even when I try not to but still want to give it a good launch.
Kinda why I want to go w either a wider tire ( not sure about wheel well clearance) and or a lower tire. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I WISH there was a track by me !!!
I believe the closest track is about 2 hrs away, and from what I read on the feedback sometimes you get to only do anywhere from 3 or 4 to 1 run at $50 a day. I don't know about race cars but I do see lower hight tires on sports cars compared to non-sports cars.
I have given some thoughts to adding a rear traction control bar but I know nothing about them and wld also need to consider a shop to do the work. I live in a condo and we're NOT allowed to work on cars on the lot.
I mostly break loose at the line, even when I try not to but still want to give it a good launch.
Kinda why I want to go w either a wider tire ( not sure about wheel well clearance) and or a lower tire. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
My local track is 2.5 hours away,and i still get there ,up till a year or so ago,i was there every week-end.A set of 305/45/17 Mickey Street R's will hook it.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, most people have a false idea on correct air pressure for their tires he said she said syndrome.
Over inflation will increase tire spin and stiffer ride, under will cause incorrect tire wear, look up and use the "chalk" method to determine correct tire psi for your rig, adjust as necessary for towing. I find most of my trucks never needed more than 28-32psi YMMV
I never heard of the chalk method but after reading about it sounds like a good way to determine what is the best psi per tire. With my torque converter I was told I can't tow, which is fine as my 2 man boat fits in the bed with the cab closed. Perfect for getting off work and hitting a lake for fishing.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My local track is 2.5 hours away,and i still get there ,up till a year or so ago,i was there every week-end.A set of 305/45/17 Mickey Street R's will hook it.
I do want to go to the track but I wld totally be disappointed if I only got one run at 50 bucks. Thanks for the tire size n make info. I great place to start.