Terrible mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barry McCokinar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey gang!

Here's the deal.. I have a 2010 1500..its the short bed crew cab.. It is leveled not lifted.. I have a custom front bumper with a winch, the bumper is made out of 8" square stock, I have 35"tires on 17" wheels, I don't drive like a crazy man but I get 9mpg in the city and 13 max on the highway... I had a 2011 that was leveled and had 33's with 20" wheels and I always got 16mpg city and 19/20 highway... What's the deal? Is there anything I can do to improve it? View attachment 543160

Attachments

• 1000008835.jpg
    1000008835.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 5

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey gang!

Here's the deal.. I have a 2010 1500..its the short bed crew cab.. It is leveled not lifted.. I have a custom front bumper with a winch, the bumper is made out of 8" square stock, I have 35"tires on 17" wheels, I don't drive like a crazy man but I get 9mpg in the city and 13 max on the highway... I had a 2011 that was leveled and had 33's with 20" wheels and I always got 16mpg city and 19/20 highway... What's the deal? Is there anything I can do to improve it? View attachment 543160

Your old 33’s were likely lighter especially if your 35’s are LT tires. The gearing in your 2010 may be different than the gears in the 2011. The heavy front bumper plays a part also. A combination of things probably contributes to the MPG loss

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Everything above: the extra weight on the front and anything in bed, big tires, driving style, gearing, it all plays a part. What gearing do you have now versus then. What was the weight difference between wheels/tires then and now. Do you hand calculate your mileage over a couple thousand miles or rely on vehicle display?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If I’m seeing you picture correctly, appears you r also not running the front air dam which increases air turbulence under your truck which along with everything else mentioned which will also lower mpg.

OP
OP
B

Barry McCokinar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks to everyone for replying. I am by no means a mechanic or know much about this which is why I came here.. Thank you.
*As far as my gearing is concerned It isn't something that's been modified and from what I can tell the 11 I had was the same.
*The wheels are the same, I took them with me when I wrecked that pickup and they went on this one and I would have to dig into the tire weight some to have an answer there.
*I had to look up what the air dam is and definitely can't put one on with my current setup

Second question.. And like I said I don't know much about this. Would a different intake / exhaust set up help? Is there anything that can improve it even some? I'm not looking for a magic fix but any suggestions?

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Smaller and/or lighter tires. Pulling unnecessary weight out of the truck. That’s about it…. You can spend thousands on exhaust and intake. If it helped at all, even 1 mpg, it would take an awful long time to get that money back. Better off buying gas with the money, lol.