The Awful Uconnect 5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Hey folks,

I have a 22 Classic Tradesman with the basic Uconnect 5. I have an annoying issue that I don't think can be remedied but I'm throwing it out there.

I don't listen to the radio, however, I like the screen to be on so that I can view the time and have the voice command system active to operate my phone. There's no way to have the screen on and the radio off. Each time I start the truck, I have to hit the "Mute" button to silence the radio and the "+" button to view the time. Not earth shattering but annoying. The screen automatically reverts to the radio page every time I start the truck. For a brief time (about 2 weeks), the screen would actually open on the "+" page without me having to hit the button. I thought "great!" but that didn't last long and now it's back to the radio page on startup.

Any way to fix this?

As a side rant, this system makes no sense and the people that set this up have never set foot in one of these trucks. I actually have a "Screen Off" button. How does this make the slightest sense? The only purpose of this button is to have the screen off while you have the radio playing. Why RAM?

zrock

Reaction score
The screen off button if for the people that do alot of night driving and find the radio distracting, this is a common feature in all radios with a larger screen. Turn the radio volume down as your cell phone operations are on a seperate volume, i can turn my radio right down and still talk on the phone with no issue.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey folks,

I have a 22 Classic Tradesman with the basic Uconnect 5. I have an annoying issue that I don't think can be remedied but I'm throwing it out there.

I don't listen to the radio, however, I like the screen to be on so that I can view the time and have the voice command system active to operate my phone. There's no way to have the screen on and the radio off. Each time I start the truck, I have to hit the "Mute" button to silence the radio and the "+" button to view the time. Not earth shattering but annoying. The screen automatically reverts to the radio page every time I start the truck. For a brief time (about 2 weeks), the screen would actually open on the "+" page without me having to hit the button. I thought "great!" but that didn't last long and now it's back to the radio page on startup.

Any way to fix this?

As a side rant, this system makes no sense and the people that set this up have never set foot in one of these trucks. I actually have a "Screen Off" button. How does this make the slightest sense? The only purpose of this button is to have the screen off while you have the radio playing. Why RAM?

IIRC, I have the option to display the time on the EVIC with my '21 Warlock.
I believe that is adjustable in the Uconnect settings.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Welcome to the wonderful world of UConnect and its infinite ways to madden even the most calm, cool, and collected owners ;)

These systems have been a known issue since they arrived on the scene in, I believe, 2005 with the advent of the modern MOPAR line of vehicles.

Although, not everyone has issues with them, but most do in some way, at some time. And when you're out of warranty, that's when your hairline really starts receding from pulling your hair out.

That said, for trouble free vehicular enjoyment with zero issues moving forward, look to replacing the UConnect head unit with a quality aftermarket one (Kenwood, JVC, Sony, etc.).

Go on the Crutchfield website, plug in your vehicle specifics, and voila, a full turnkey option will appear. You can select from very budget minded all the way up to extreme with all the bells and whistles.

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
The screen off button if for the people that do alot of night driving and find the radio distracting, this is a common feature in all radios with a larger screen. Turn the radio volume down as your cell phone operations are on a seperate volume, i can turn my radio right down and still talk on the phone with no issue.
Ok that makes sense. The screen doesn't bother me at night so that didn't occur to me.
Ahhhh, why didn't I think of turning the volume to zero lol. Simple yet effective :cheers:
IIRC, I have the option to display the time on the EVIC with my '21 Warlock.
I believe that is adjustable in the Uconnect settings.
I tried playing with the settings but I didn't see that. I'll give it another look, thanks.

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Welcome to the wonderful world of UConnect and its infinite ways to madden even the most calm, cool, and collected owners ;)

These systems have been a known issue since they arrived on the scene in, I believe, 2005 with the advent of the modern MOPAR line of vehicles.

Although, not everyone has issues with them, but most do in some way, at some time. And when you're out of warranty, that's when your hairline really starts receding from pulling your hair out.

That said, for trouble free vehicular enjoyment with zero issues moving forward, look to replacing the UConnect head unit with a quality aftermarket one (Kenwood, JVC, Sony, etc.).

Go on the Crutchfield website, plug in your vehicle specifics, and voila, a full turnkey option will appear. You can select from very budget minded all the way up to extreme with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks for the lead. I'll check out that site and see if anything appeals to me.

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I was mistaken, the setting to display time is within the EVIC settings.
I don't have that fancy screen in the cluster :D I have a Tradesman so the options in my settings may be limited but I have to scroll through it and see what I can do.

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
the phoniex radio works well. i like it. i like it alot. 13 inch's of amazing.
That looks awesome. I'll see what's available for my model and what it costs but it has to be plug and play. My tech skill level is obviously lacking lol. Another sign that I'm getting on in years.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks awesome. I'll see what's available for my model and what it costs but it has to be plug and play. My tech skill level is obviously lacking lol. Another sign that I'm getting on in years.
its like 750$. and all 100% plug in play. takes no time to install. however shipping is slow since it comes from "Chynah" but its essentially a tablet for a radio. anything you can install on a tablet can install on here. oddly enough, ac blows stronger and colder for what ever reason through this lol.

only negative i have for it right now is that waze off sets the map to the right a little if not in full screen. but i get used to it. I also added cell service to it so i dont even need to plug my phone in for it.

this is what you want for your truck. with discount code its USD$677.70

OP
OP
H

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
its like 750$. and all 100% plug in play. takes no time to install. however shipping is slow since it comes from "Chynah" but its essentially a tablet for a radio. anything you can install on a tablet can install on here. oddly enough, ac blows stronger and colder for what ever reason through this lol.

only negative i have for it right now is that waze off sets the map to the right a little if not in full screen. but i get used to it. I also added cell service to it so i dont even need to plug my phone in for it.

this is what you want for your truck. with discount code its USD$677.70
Damn, that looks sweet. I'll research the installation of this puppy. Thanks :cheers:

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you will provide them with the vin and some other information of your truck and they send you everything needed to connect it.

2 screws on the top of the dash in the little pocket area, then use a interior style pry tool to pop the entire housing out. unplug everything then work backwards on the install. you will have to take the vents out of the old unit and put in the new unit. before install if you want you can add a sim card from which ever cell provider you like if you wish to have internet on the radio. i did this with tmobile. works great. makes it truly stand alone. they have install videos and setup videos as well you can look at.

parnona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a '24 Tradesman 2500HD and my Uconnect has a bad issue when I'm on a phone call or Zoom call, the call will echo and then become very garbled. I have to grab my phone and switch to the phone speaker, wait about a minute and then switch back to Uconnect and it's clear for a while and then the same thing happens. wash, rinse, repeat...

I'm not sure if I even want to bring it in for warranty if all of these have issues. I'll probably go down the aftermarket route and never look back.

David Oakes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I-6 HO
Do you have a link for the radio and a replacement bezel?

They even sometimes have open box units available for a reduced price.

They do have some issues, but they do integrate very well with the truck and their tech support is usually very good. The new unit comes with a new bezel.

As for crutchfield, if your environmental controls are integrated into the uconnect system and bezel, then they say straight out that they don't have anything that will fit.