Thinking out loud... order new or keep what I got...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can talk myself into (or out of) either. I have a 2016 2500 Tradesman 6.4L 4x4 with the 4.10s. Decently equipped for a Tradesman. At present, has 55k miles on it. No issues, other than the raft of recalls the first few years. Have to say... I don't do that much towing, but I LOVE the 4.10s... no significant effect on mileage either. If I go new, I'd likely order... as no one seems to have what I want. I wish they'd upgrade the cab to the newer body style, but have a feeling when they finally get around to that, they'll also change the engine... and I'm not a first year adopter... prefer a known commodity, engine/transmission-wise.

The case for ordering new:
1) might be last chance to get chrome package (seems to be going bye-bye)... I like the chrome, as it's more durable/chip resistant than painted grille/bumper... I'll leave the murdered-out look to the kiddies...
2) the 8 speed tranny. the 6 speed is ok, though the shift programming is not the greatest... sometimes clunky shifting
3) I can get a few upgrades I've wanted (bucket seats vs. bench, cab lights, etc.), & exactly what I want
4) last year (possibly) of a (now) well-proven platform
5) affiliate reward program member

The case for keeping my ole truck:
1) nothing really wrong with my '16
2) uncertain future of Ram/Stellantis
3) outrageous pricing on new trucks/lack of deals
4) it's going to look just like my old truck (no styling changes in over a decade) ok... minor re-styling to headlights/taillights/grille... pish.
5) it's been LONG paid for...
6) has always been in the west/south, so no rust
7) the way the option packages are configured now, is almost impossible to get everything/EXACTLY what I want

Despite the fact that I dislike the driving position (brake pedal's too far off the floor, & seat's a little high), I still LOVE driving this truck. When I bought new in '16, I was able to get almost $11k off of sticker... While there ARE some deals to be had these days, it is still a MUCH HIGHER price point.

Dunno... I talk myself into it one day, & out of it the next...

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went from a 2017 3/4 ton with 6 speed transmission to a 2021 1 ton with the 8 speed. Both 6.4 engine. Love this 8 speed. When not towing my 5th wheel, don’t feel it shift. Go find the shift points on your transmission then compare to the 8 speed. I looked at that close before I bought the truck. Go for it. Can’t take it with you so UPGRADE!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
55k miles on a truck you love that's paid for? Seems easy to me.

Have you considered you may just be bored? You could tart up your current truck with chrome and new seats and whatever, aside from the 8 speed, for probably the same cost as the sales tax on a new one...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Food for thought....

Useful 4th Gen upgrade threads and info for your 2016

- M² Mods Intro

** AlfaOBD (for activating factory features yourself. See Docs linked in OP )

-----------

- DIY: Add 2013-2018 OEM Foglight Wiring

-----------------
- DIY: 2013-2018 RearView Mirror Upgrade & Harness install

- DIY: 2013-18 (19 classic) Power Fold Mirror upgrade/Notes

- DIY: 2013-2018 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

-------------

if you want to go full 8.4 conversion:

- DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion

- INFO- 2013-2018 8.4 FW Notes (RA4/VP4 & UAx NA)

- ROLL-UP INFO: FOTA 18.11.x & uC D/L 18.45.01 SW Update 13-17 RA3/Vp3-NA & Ra4 VP4-NA

--------------------

- How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM (Please read posts 1-5 for correct PNs, etc)
- How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

- FIX > 2013-18/classic 4th Gen USB Hub ... Battery to Keyed Power (For AA/CP wireless adapter)

--------
- How-To: Add Heated/Ventilated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

- Installing OEM backup cam
** Pay attention to my Post 10 with lots of info as well as the OP **

- Post 1165/1166: My 13Ram Front cam install

- kad 's front camera on Cargo Cam input thread

- JB1's - Post your Front Camera Link

- Littlebiscuit’s – Cargo Cam Install (w/aftmkt Crux Cam)

----------
CircuitGuys - List of desired 4th Gen Mopar options and part numbers.

- Mpgrimm2's Cellphone and Hidden Power setup

- DIY - Truxedo Sentry Review/Latch Mod on 5th Gen Ram 1500 w/Rambox & videos

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Keep it... Doesn't make sense to trade for basically the same truck given the current prices. If you were going to a diesel or needed to move up to a 3500 you would have more of a case but gas to gas just doesn't make sense.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd keep what you have. The 8 speed would be nice but the newer front end does nothing for me. The 4th gen has the better looks by far. Hell even the 3rd gens look better to me then the new ones. You also know what you have. Buying something new now a days seems like a crap shoot, and there will be recalls with a new one. Not to many things are being built better today then the past.

Just my cheaparse opinions though. It's your money do what makes you happy.

max2bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 392
I'd keep what you have. The 8 speed would be nice but the newer front end does nothing for me. The 4th gen has the better looks by far. Hell even the 3rd gens look better to me then the new ones. You also know what you have. Buying something new now a days seems like a crap shoot, and there will be recalls with a new one. Not to many things are being built better today then the past.

Just my cheaparse opinions though. It's your money do what makes you happy.
exactly this . i have a 2014 and its paid for and in very good condition . i do not like the 6 speed while towing at all and would love the 8 speed but every time i price a new truck on rams website the price sends me running. the only reason for me to upgrade to a newer truck would be the 8 speed and that is it , period.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Id keep what you have. Get someone to install some bucket seats and a console, add the cab lights if you want and that might only cost you one payment.
Then enjoy the “new truck”.
PS I like chrome too!!

OP
OP
S

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
valid points all... like I said... I can talk myself into either option... money's not really an issue... I'm just a cheap engineer that's less than 5 years from retirement. It would be nice to get exactly what I want for once in my life, instead of always opting for the best deal. I suppose I should go at least drive a newer model... don't know if the 4.10s are as big an issue with the 8 speed. The chrome thing... yea, that's generational... mostly. I like a little bling. Not a fan of painted bumpers & grilles peppered with stone chips, & PPF is not cheap, nor particularly durable. Yes, hexavalent chromium is bad for the environment... but there are alternatives. Regardless, manufacturers seem to be doing away with it.

The 8 speed tranny, by most accounts, is far superior. I do not tow extensively nor drive it particularly hard, but the 6 speed has always been on the clunky side. From day one it felt like there was excessive lash in the drivetrain... despite a few recalls to address transmission programming.

But buying new... in this day & age... scares me. Build quality is not what it used to be... and dealer servicing??? don't get me started... especially since anything that I would order would be more heavily laden with electronics. Still... this generation is a VERY well known commodity now... who knows what's in store for the next generation of heavy duties... might be my last chance... or my chance to end up with a very expensive paper weight. Anyhow, will stop there... this is starting to read like a bad William Faulkner novel...

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
valid points all... like I said... I can talk myself into either option... money's not really an issue... I'm just a cheap engineer that's less than 5 years from retirement. It would be nice to get exactly what I want for once in my life, instead of always opting for the best deal. I suppose I should go at least drive a newer model... don't know if the 4.10s are as big an issue with the 8 speed. The chrome thing... yea, that's generational... mostly. I like a little bling. Not a fan of painted bumpers & grilles peppered with stone chips, & PPF is not cheap, nor particularly durable. Yes, hexavalent chromium is bad for the environment... but there are alternatives. Regardless, manufacturers seem to be doing away with it.

The 8 speed tranny, by most accounts, is far superior. I do not tow extensively nor drive it particularly hard, but the 6 speed has always been on the clunky side. From day one it felt like there was excessive lash in the drivetrain... despite a few recalls to address transmission programming.

But buying new... in this day & age... scares me. Build quality is not what it used to be... and dealer servicing??? don't get me started... especially since anything that I would order would be more heavily laden with electronics. Still... this generation is a VERY well known commodity now... who knows what's in store for the next generation of heavy duties... might be my last chance... or my chance to end up with a very expensive paper weight. Anyhow, will stop there... this is starting to read like a bad William Faulkner novel...
The economy differs depending on location but in my area I’m seeing 12k off MSRP on Ram HD gas trucks pretty often. If you order a new one you might miss out on that steep of a discount. That said dealers in my area are having a harder time selling the 6.4 trucks so they are harder to find because dealers aren’t stocking them. Again this is in south central Texas. I personally think Ram should have 4:10 standard on the gas trucks and 4:30 as an option but that’s just me.

Last edited:

KubotaTed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SST-HO

Given that you’re near retirement (5 year countdown) and coupled with the fact that I’m guessing a solid career being an engineer - take the trip / buy the car. If you’ve self-labeled yourself above as cheap (I prefer the word disciplined), then ordering a truck the way you want it is a nice feeling. I’ve only ever ordered one truck (and currently waiting on the 2nd one) and I’ve really enjoyed having it the way I want it.

I too am about 5 years from retirement and was quite disciplined in my 20’s and 30’s. (I’m in a STEM related field) That discipline has payed off. In 2020, I had a 2016 F-150 that was nice, but didn’t have all the features that I wanted. In the 2021 redesign (Ford), I asked my wife if she cared if I ordered the redesigned version as it had some new features that was attractive to me. She said go for it and I never looked back.

I’m now in the process of waiting on my ‘25 RAM and ordered it the way that I wanted. The discipline that I showed in earlier in my career has given me the flexibility to do this now.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the process.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the price on stuff is the killer for me these days. can i afford it, sure however i just dont think the trucks are worth the cost anymore.

My truck, 2021 2500 6.7 Cummins Big horn with the offroad package was 66k. I currently have a loaner since my truck is in the shop.... 2024 ram 1500 big horn with the level 2 big horn package i believe. 4wd sport. e-torque hemi. 68k.

I also had a 1500 bighorn e-torque v6 2024. 64k.

I'm sorry, but as nice as the v8 model i have right now is.... no. not worth it to me. what so ever.

55k miles, make your current truck how you would like it. keep your money. wait and see what this economy does because it could be good, could get worse.

CaptCurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can talk myself into (or out of) either. I have a 2016 2500 Tradesman 6.4L 4x4 with the 4.10s. Decently equipped for a Tradesman. At present, has 55k miles on it. No issues, other than the raft of recalls the first few years. Have to say... I don't do that much towing, but I LOVE the 4.10s... no significant effect on mileage either. If I go new, I'd likely order... as no one seems to have what I want. I wish they'd upgrade the cab to the newer body style, but have a feeling when they finally get around to that, they'll also change the engine... and I'm not a first year adopter... prefer a known commodity, engine/transmission-wise.

The case for ordering new:
1) might be last chance to get chrome package (seems to be going bye-bye)... I like the chrome, as it's more durable/chip resistant than painted grille/bumper... I'll leave the murdered-out look to the kiddies...
2) the 8 speed tranny. the 6 speed is ok, though the shift programming is not the greatest... sometimes clunky shifting
3) I can get a few upgrades I've wanted (bucket seats vs. bench, cab lights, etc.), & exactly what I want
4) last year (possibly) of a (now) well-proven platform
5) affiliate reward program member

The case for keeping my ole truck:
1) nothing really wrong with my '16
2) uncertain future of Ram/Stellantis
3) outrageous pricing on new trucks/lack of deals
4) it's going to look just like my old truck (no styling changes in over a decade) ok... minor re-styling to headlights/taillights/grille... pish.
5) it's been LONG paid for...
6) has always been in the west/south, so no rust
7) the way the option packages are configured now, is almost impossible to get everything/EXACTLY what I want

Despite the fact that I dislike the driving position (brake pedal's too far off the floor, & seat's a little high), I still LOVE driving this truck. When I bought new in '16, I was able to get almost $11k off of sticker... While there ARE some deals to be had these days, it is still a MUCH HIGHER price point.

Dunno... I talk myself into it one day, & out of it the next...
Personally I would go with option 2 (keep it), at least till 99K miles. My brother, my cousin, and myself started to have problems right after 100K miles. They both have 2500s, mine is a 09 1500 with 112K miles, but my problems started at 100K. Also consider the higher interest rates now, and to let you know prices on them have been jacked up ($5-10K since 2021. And the sticker price on the window is also jacked up by 15-35% (good to keep in mind when negotiating). Good Luck

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d keep it. Maybe look up ATS I think is the name on UT for transmission fix/upgrade. Maybe they do a 8spd option for it. 55k ain’t even broke in yet.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Yes, hexavalent chromium is bad for the environment... but there are alternatives. Regardless, manufacturers seem to be doing away with it."
So are the materials used in batteries and solar panels. There are people who will tell you the whole truck is bad for the environment.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 117226 miles.