Throttle Control + 4WD Light + Coolant Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjf84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Stumped on this one. When I first start my truck every day (when it is still cold outside), within 2 minutes I will get:
-Throttle Control light (lightning bolt), -Serv 4WD light
-temp gauge stays all the way cold
-coolant temp reads as <100

All of these stay that way for the entire drive unless I shut down and start again. If I start again, none of these problems come up. It’s only when I start it from fully cold.

CEL is on 24/7 and throwing a P2181 (vague “incorrect temperature”). Coolant level is slowly dropping but I can’t find a major leak anywhere. Water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses are all new within the last year.

Any ideas on what could be up? This one has me stumped.

2012 1500 4.7L 125,000miles

Jgcsummitdiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I have pretty much the same exact problem with mine . If you figure it out please let me
Know

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
-Throttle Control light (lightning bolt), -Serv 4WD light
-temp gauge stays all the way cold
-coolant temp reads as <100

CEL is on 24/7 and throwing a P2181 (vague “incorrect temperature”). Coolant level is slowly dropping but I can’t find a major leak anywhere. Water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses are all new within the last year.

I have pretty much the same exact problem with mine . If you figure it out please let me
Know

If your coolant temp sensor on top of the water pump isn't plugged in / working, that will throw the throttle light. Add in your P2181 and chronic coolant leak, I would guess there is an issue with the temp sensor & possibly entire pump. I'm not sure if you can replace just the sensor or if you have to do the whole pump, but the pump itself could be the source of your leak so may be worth a shot anyway.

In my experience, new doesn't mean jack with water pumps these days. When I bought mine it had a small leak, and replaced it within a year for 3 years straight until I got one that isn't total trash.

Off the top of my head I have no idea on the 4wd. Could be totally unrelated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davenator