Tips for fueling up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's pump accuracy got to do with time of day or how fast you fill up? Accuracy is going to be samey-same regardless on a given pump, is it not?

I don't see how you save money by stopping more often to fuel because you fuel at half a tank vs 1/4. I guess if it's convenient for you to fuel in the morning or at night it's no different, but would you make a special trip or go out of your way for it? I don't see it saving money either way but costing money if you end up driving more to do it.

Personally, I fuel when I need to at whatever top tier gas station is convenient*. I've never had a problem with a fuel filter *ever*. If I waste a few teaspoons of gas over 40 years, I'm driving sports cars way too fast and trucks way too big to care about it. I use my credit card to get the equivalent of 2% back (or more at Shell) for my personal vehicles and use Upside to get a variable amount of money back per gallon if it's the station I'm going to anyway. With my fleet card and work vehicle that means I get paid to get gas since my employer pays for the gas but I get the Upside reward. I "make" about $20 a month from the app and could do better if I was willing to go out of my way in slightest for higher rewards. I don't know if it works in Canada, but if anybody wants a referral code just PM me. It's not much money, but it's free for just clicking a button a few times to pick a gas station and then say you've paid.

*Unless there's a Buc-ee's. Then I'm going to Buc-ee's come hell or high water. It's the most bestest gas station anywhere ever.
Buc-ee's has a cult following for sure. Having done contracted service work for them (and having friends that still do), I can say they have pride in ownership. They put a lot of investment into having a good, quality product (inside the store and fuel).

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What's pump accuracy got to do with time of day or how fast you fill up? Accuracy is going to be samey-same regardless on a given pump, is it not?

I don't see how you save money by stopping more often to fuel because you fuel at half a tank vs 1/4. I guess if it's convenient for you to fuel in the morning or at night it's no different, but would you make a special trip or go out of your way for it? I don't see it saving money either way but costing money if you end up driving more to do it.

Personally, I fuel when I need to at whatever top tier gas station is convenient*. I've never had a problem with a fuel filter *ever*. If I waste a few teaspoons of gas over 40 years, I'm driving sports cars way too fast and trucks way too big to care about it. I use my credit card to get the equivalent of 2% back (or more at Shell) for my personal vehicles and use Upside to get a variable amount of money back per gallon if it's the station I'm going to anyway. With my fleet card and work vehicle that means I get paid to get gas since my employer pays for the gas but I get the Upside reward. I "make" about $20 a month from the app and could do better if I was willing to go out of my way in slightest for higher rewards. I don't know if it works in Canada, but if anybody wants a referral code just PM me. It's not much money, but it's free for just clicking a button a few times to pick a gas station and then say you've paid.

*Unless there's a Buc-ee's. Then I'm going to Buc-ee's come hell or high water. It's the most bestest gas station anywhere ever.
More volumn for fumes at a 1/4 tank compared to 3/4 tank,plus more fuel slosh,which contributes to more fuel evaporation.
I give up,you're to smart for me,and you appear to want to argue more then i do. I could really care less where or when you fuel up,and i'm not in the mood to argue over it,so you do you,and the rest of us will do ourselves

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
LOL..

The Fire Dept. would prefer that you keep your Fuel Tank full, if it catches Fire.
Less Fumes when full, it will burn off, no fumes to cause an explosion.

Just don't ask what they think about Lithium Batteries.
The BOTS on here would not let you Post it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
More volumn for fumes at a 1/4 tank compared to 3/4 tank,plus more fuel slosh,which contributes to more fuel evaporation.
I give up,you're to smart for me,and you appear to want to argue more then i do. I could really care less where or when you fuel up,and i'm not in the mood to argue over it,so you do you,and the rest of us will do ourselves

Obviously everyone can do their own thing, regardless of if it's based in reality or in Boomer facebook memes. Save a ton of teaspoons by filling up every morning from a Jerry can if you think air gap matters that much. It's the only logical thing to do. It's amazing stored vehicles don't just have empty tanks by the time owners come back for them. Like all those cars sitting for a year or so while their owners are on deployment? Tanks dry as a bone when they get back... I was gone for two years and still had a full tank upon return. Or does it have to 'slosh' to evaporate? :happy175:

LOL..

The Fire Dept. would prefer that you keep your Fuel Tank full, if it catches Fire.
Less Fumes when full, it will burn off, no fumes to cause an explosion.

I can count on zero finger the number of gas tank explosions I've seen in vehicle crashes, and I've been on plenty.

*If you don't care about demolitions, feel free to skip the rest of this* Most everyone is familiar with the fire triangle, fuel/oxygen/ignition, but an explosion also requires the correct dispersion of the fuel and oxygen at the time the ignition source is present. If the fuel/air mix is in the correct range, defined by a lower and upper explosive limit (LEL / UEL), it explodes. If it's outside you either get combustion or you get nothing, depending. You aren't achieving that *and* having an ignition source inside a gas tank in a crash.

Gasoline fumes have a fairly tight LEL and UEL (say 2%-7% for easy figuring). It's simply not a realistic concern to have both an ignition source and correct dispersion inside a tank at any fuel level. The spill is a different matter. You can get a weak explosion (and a strong fire) from the fumes immediately over the spilled gas.

Now an "empty" one somebody is welding on... the fumes of an empty tank can get that 2%-7% comparatively easy. The tank is acting as containment, the welding torch is a steady source of ignition so there's more time for the dispersion to be correct, etc.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Obviously everyone can do their own thing, regardless of if it's based in reality or in Boomer facebook memes. Save a ton of teaspoons by filling up every morning from a Jerry can if you think air gap matters that much. It's the only logical thing to do. It's amazing stored vehicles don't just have empty tanks by the time owners come back for them. Like all those cars sitting for a year or so while their owners are on deployment? Tanks dry as a bone when they get back... I was gone for two years and still had a full tank upon return. Or does it have to 'slosh' to evaporate? :happy175:

I can count on zero finger the number of gas tank explosions I've seen in vehicle crashes, and I've been on plenty.

*If you don't care about demolitions, feel free to skip the rest of this* Most everyone is familiar with the fire triangle, fuel/oxygen/ignition, but an explosion also requires the correct dispersion of the fuel and oxygen at the time the ignition source is present. If the fuel/air mix is in the correct range, defined by a lower and upper explosive limit (LEL / UEL), it explodes. If it's outside you either get combustion or you get nothing, depending. You aren't achieving that *and* having an ignition source inside a gas tank in a crash.

Gasoline fumes have a fairly tight LEL and UEL (say 2%-7% for easy figuring). It's simply not a realistic concern to have both an ignition source and correct dispersion inside a tank at any fuel level. The spill is a different matter. You can get a weak explosion (and a strong fire) from the fumes immediately over the spilled gas.

Now an "empty" one somebody is welding on... the fumes of an empty tank can get that 2%-7% comparatively easy. The tank is acting as containment, the welding torch is a steady source of ignition so there's more time for the dispersion to be correct, etc.
For a damn cop,you really seem to have a burr up your ass over this thread.BTW you can weld on propane tanks if you know what you're doing.
Time to let this go bud,we all know how you think,no need to keep expounding on that fact.
I'm not overly interested in arguing with you,but you seem to have latched onto this thread like a pitbull,and won't let it go,and you keep trying to drag me back into your arguement,time to grow up and act your age. :cheers:

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
For a damn cop,you really seem to have a burr up your ass over this thread.BTW you can weld on propane tanks if you know what you're doing.
Time to let this go bud,we all know how you think,no need to keep expounding on that fact.
I'm not overly interested in arguing with you,but you seem to have latched onto this thread like a pitbull,and won't let it go,and you keep trying to drag me back into your arguement,time to grow up and act your age. :cheers:

I just prefer the truth to Facebook memes. Anyone who doesn't want to hear my take can use the ignore button. People who want to believe nonsense and aren't interested in being shown why it's nonsense can continue on that path as well.

Really don't recall dragging you back in or telling you what to do, you said you were done but then decided you weren't. I don't mind either way, and I generally enjoy engaging with you here. It's a discussion forum, discussion is sort of what we're here for.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just prefer the truth to Facebook memes. Anyone who doesn't want to hear my take can use the ignore button. People who want to believe nonsense and aren't interested in being shown why it's nonsense can continue on that path as well.

Really don't recall dragging you back in or telling you what to do, you said you were done but then decided you weren't. I don't mind either way, and I generally enjoy engaging with you here. It's a discussion forum, discussion is sort of what we're here for.
You seem to want to keep quoting me,and in my book that means you're trying to drag me back into your arguement.
I was more then willing to let you have your way,and let this go,several posts ago.but you're like a little pitbull who's latched onto a pantleg,and just won't let go.We all get how you think,now it's time for you to give up your rant.
Internet meme or not,there's still alot of truth to the original post about fueling tips.BTW if you don't believe any of them,don't practice them,nobody is holding your hand on the fuel pump trigger. You must be a real pleasure to deal with as cop,i'm sure you're doing your department wonders with your attitude. Time to let this go bud.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You seem to want to keep quoting me,and in my book that means you're trying to drag me back into your arguement.
I was more then willing to let you have your way,and let this go,several posts ago.but you're like a little pitbull who's latched onto a pantleg,and just won't let go.We all get how you think,now it's time for you to give up your rant.
Internet meme or not,there's still alot of truth to the original post about fueling tips.BTW if you don't believe any of them,don't practice them,nobody is holding your hand on the fuel pump trigger. You must be a real pleasure to deal with as cop,i'm sure you're doing your department wonders with your attitude. Time to let this go bud.

You seem to keep making it personal and real concerned with my occupation. Believe it or not, cops are real people and I can screw around on the internet with a different style and demeanor than I do in an official capacity.

We equally know what you think, you've repeated yourself ad nauseum as well. Like this post, again, and yet other than just repeating "no, it's totally true" you've provided zero evidence of any of it. Like how basic physics would support your nonsense. You've gotten personally invested in defending a meme because it'd be terrible if you admitted maybe some of it was wrong to be so credulous. You said you were out of the argument but can't help diving back in. Why isn't it time for you to let it go? Is your attitude equally fun to be around based on a post on a discussion board?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Docwagon1776 ...

In my Post #64,

I was referring to a vehicle that had caught fire, for any reason.
When the Fire reaches the Fuel tank, the Fire Dept. is safer, if the fuel tank is FULL, much less chance of Explosion.
Fire from the Ignition, did not enter my thoughts at the time.

I worked Road Maintenance out here in California's Highways for 33 years.
Many times at a accident, we, meaning my crew would be the First Responders, some of us would close off some lanes, someone would check on the people in the accident, & contact the CHP with our radios,
We did that until an Officer or someone from the Fire Dept, like Hazmat showed up to take over.

One of the First questions was, do we know if the tank is Full or what

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Docwagon1776 ...

In my Post #64,

I was referring to a vehicle that had caught fire, for any reason.

I'm clear, and my answer includes that understanding. Over the course of my life I've been trained in demolitions (to include disabling vehicles via sabotage), gotten HAZMAT and HAZWOPER certified, etc. I have both academic and practical knowledge of how it works.

Hazmat showed up to take over.

One of the First questions was, do we know if the tank is Full or what

That's required info for Hazmat response so you can figure the size of the spill for reporting requirements and to plan containment based on how far it will spread. For bigger trucks, a full tank will likely cross the threshold for mandatory spill reporting while a near empty tank will not (50g or 55g is a fairly common threshold for mandatory reporting for non-waterway impacting transportation spills, though it varies state to state).