tow recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtumolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I currently have a 2020 Ram bighorn 4x4 crew cab with a 6.4 gas engine and short bed. I am looking at a 2018 Jayco 322RLOK travel trailer to use for stays at race tracks along the east coast. We would be towing on average two weekends per month with trips up to 1500 mile round trip. The trailer GVWR 11,750 lbs and Hitch Weight 1,260 lbs. How do you think my Ram would do towing this camper. I want it to be a relaxing tow after a long weekend of racing.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
To know for sure, look at your door jamb. There will be two stickers, one gives your payload capacity. I would imagine you are fine there. Then put your vin in the Ram VIN search, it will give your trailer tow rating. Depending on configuration, you should be good there. This is how you know for 100% accuracy.

Which it appears the lookup tool does not work again.

OP
OP
D

drtumolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks but I was unable to find the VIN lookup.

OP
OP
D

drtumolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks. Hopefully they get the VIN lookup working again but based on he charts I am well withing spec.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I currently have a 2020 Ram bighorn 4x4 crew cab with a 6.4 gas engine and short bed. I am looking at a 2018 Jayco 322RLOK travel trailer to use for stays at race tracks along the east coast. We would be towing on average two weekends per month with trips up to 1500 mile round trip. The trailer GVWR 11,750 lbs and Hitch Weight 1,260 lbs. How do you think my Ram would do towing this camper. I want it to be a relaxing tow after a long weekend of racing.
You don't need the vin lookup to figure this out. You just need the math to do the initial estimate. Best way is to find a CAT scale for the real world numbers.

From a numbers perspective:

Take the gross weight of the trailer (11,750) x 15% for a rough starting point on the tongue weight. The actual tongue weight would be 1,762. 1,260 hitch weight is the DRY weight number and is based on a 10% hitch weight. Campers rarely (if ever) have a 10% hitch weight.

Then add up the total weight of people and any cargo you need to carry. Add that number to the 1,762 hitch weight. Make sure to include anything that was added to the truck after it left the factory. Running boards, bed covers, tool boxes, etc... You'll absolutely need a weight distribution hitch, so factor in another 75-80 lbs for that hitch. All of those numbers combined is the actual payload weight you could see.

I'll give you example math at the end of this. But.... it's an EXAMPLE only. You need to do the math for your use case.

If set up properly, you can expect the WDH to shift roughly 15-20% of the weight from the trailer tongue back onto the trailer axles.

Look at the payload sticker on the door of your truck. If the final number you come up with exceeds the sticker on the door, you're over payload. Sometimes you can slightly break that number as long as you never exceed the rear axle weight rating. It's 6,600 lbs, but half of that is weight of the truck itself.

Example ONLY:

Trailer GVWR: 11,750
Real hitch weight (11,750 x 15%): 1,762

Truck Payload sticker: 3,320 lbs
4 people @ 200 lbs ea = 800 lbs
Cargo - 250 lbs
WDH hitch weight = 80
Payload reduction (800+250+80) = 1,130

Adjusted available payload = 3320-1,130 = 2,190

WDH transfer - (1762 x 20%) = 352

In this example, you'd be ok. HOWEVER... 38' is a LONG travel trailer behind a single rear wheel truck so if your numbers do work out (I think they will) then absolutely run a rock solid weight distribution hitch with sway control. Do not cheap out. Buy a quality system.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I towed a 2020 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH with my 2018 2500 6.4 with 4.10's. Trailer was empty as it was brand new off the lot but I was good on all numbers. CAT scale showed 1100lbs tongue weight when at about 12.5% TW. My payload is 2973lbs so had plenty of room. TT weighed 9300lbs empty (actual CAT scale weight). GRAWR was well within limits too. Granted those numbers all would have been higher with a loaded trailer but mine was well within spec and towed it very easily. Towed it 100 miles, most on the highway.

Truck alone with just me:
truck_MT_full_gas_me_in_it.png

With trailer and 2 other passengers weighing about 400lbs total:
WDH_bars_on_3250BH_my_2500.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You need to post cab and gears, which is what determines max towing more then anything. I see your cab but what gears. I can tell you I would do it, if it was close I would take anything heavy that you carry and put it in bed. You don't have a 5th wheel?

what race series?

bigblock_doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
My experience with a 2023 2500 rental from Enterprize towing my 28 ft car hauler was not good. Of course I'm
a diesel owner but had trans troubles and had to finish a job. The gas is underpowered, stayed in 6th gear, sometimes
shifting to 7th or 8th, depending on the wind. I know the diesel is more money, but at the end of the day you will feel
better. Less stress and better fuel mileage, even when not towing. Just my opinion.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
While most seem to think I always side with a diesel, I really don't. I side with the numbers.

The OP is probably within the truck's specs to pull a trailer of that weight with a gasser, so I think it will get the job done. He doesn't NEED a diesel to do it in this case.

However, if stress-free towing is the name of the game, a more stress free experience would come from a diesel and with a 38' trailer a 3500 (gas or diesel) would be the most stress free. If it were me and wanted to stay with this truck, I would look at a shorter trailer around that same weight range or lower. But sans all of that, a solid WDH set up properly behind that 2500 gasser will get the job done.

OP, do remember that you have to find gas pumps where you can fit both the truck and trailer into to refuel. That might be your biggest challenge.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
While most seem to think I always side with a diesel, I really don't. I side with the numbers.

The OP is probably within the truck's specs to pull a trailer of that weight with a gasser, so I think it will get the job done. He doesn't NEED a diesel to do it in this case.

However, if stress-free towing is the name of the game, a more stress free experience would come from a diesel and with a 38' trailer a 3500 (gas or diesel) would be the most stress free. If it were me and wanted to stay with this truck, I would look at a shorter trailer around that same weight range or lower. But sans all of that, a solid WDH set up properly behind that 2500 gasser will get the job done.

OP, do remember that you have to find gas pumps where you can fit both the truck and trailer into to refuel. That might be your biggest challenge.
The last part can sometimes be the biggest issue. Coming from a guy that towed with a gasser (and our trailer was only 33'), it could sometimes be a challenge even at a truck stop, because a lot of those don't leave much room around the gas pumps - it's just cars and empty pickups, right?

I was always able to make it happen, but it wasn't always easy. Wife would occasionally have to hop out to watch a corner to make sure I didn't get too close. At least with the diesel, if I pull into a truck stop, I know I'm going to be able to fill up.

Still, OP could get away with a 6.4 if they don't mind revving it up to make power. It'll do it just fine, but again, as one who used to do it - if the spouse rides with you and is used to lower revs, every time you let it get up past 4k she's going to be worried. Mine was always asking if it was okay if it was doing that, I tried showing her where the 6.4's power band was but it didn't really help matters.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is my largest factor with sticking with a diesel this go around, honestly. A 6.4 would tow my trailer without a doubt and not struggle with it. Big rig pumps are a huge convenience.

I'm 55' tip to tail when hooked up. That's a lot of length to squeeze into a gas pump especially in my area where there are almost none set up to do it. If the OP has a crew cab he's going to be pushing 60' in length. I was 65' with my dually and my 43' fifth wheel.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
GCWR - Tow Vehicle GVWR = Towing Capacity+/-. Stay 20% below that for a safety margin and that's what you can tow.