Toyota is taking care of its customers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Their release story is a bit janky vs. what their internal story is. On the streets it's "we've identified machining **** from the manufacturing of the engines, in some engines, in some cases, didn't get fully removed, potentially causing premature failure." On the inside it is "there was one machine on one production line that broke a guide and wasn't properly machining one throw of the crankshaft and some crappy cranks got put out, therefore some crappy engines might exist, and as a precaution we are going to replace all those engines so we can save face with the motoring public." But I 100% agree, good on them for stepping up. They'd rather take the loss on the warranty/recall than lose billions from potential customers walking away from the product line. All that being said, the new body style Tundras and Tacomas are hideous IMO. SO much exposed undercarriage, cheap plastic chin spoilers that hang down like 9 feet it seems, no fender well inserts so all the electronics and hard parts are constantly sprayed with road debris (salt if you're in the salt states). And STUPID expensive - Cheapest Tacoma I've seen on any lot is $42k, and some at almost $70k - for a mid-size pickup. The Tundras definitely fall into the "look pretty and shiny, but don't think about doing too much truck stuff with it" sector IMO. Lots of high dollar grocery-getters and commuter trucks. Sure wish Kalashnikov made trucks. :) All just my opinions, and in the end, good on Toyota for making it right.