Transmission pan and fluid change questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the PPE pan with one quart extra capacity on my 845RE and it took 7 quarts. My OEM pan drain was 5 1/2 quarts so I’m with you on the factory fill being a little low.

For me the extra fluid capacity made almost no difference in operating temperature.
That's good to hear! I kinda went into it thinking I'm not concerned with what comes out but only that I follow the fill procedure properly so I know it's good. I was going to get the 1qt pan but purchased the 2qt because it was slightly cheaper.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's good to hear! I kinda went into it thinking I'm not concerned with what comes out but only that I follow the fill procedure properly so I know it's good. I was going to get the 1qt pan but purchased the 2qt because it was slightly cheaper.

I did mine back in 2019 and they only had the one quart extra at that time. Like you I also have Bilsteins set at 2.1 and had to back up my inclined driveway, chock the front wheels and fully extend my jack stands along with leaving the jack in place. Not my brightest moment but it worked.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok, thanks. I've not open the box yet and didn't know.
I'll add one more thing for you and others who do this that I haven't seen mentioned yet. When you are done, wipe the rear of the pan down real good and go on a test drive. After the drive, you might see what looks like leaks around some of the rear bolts but in my case it was just excess fluid from the trickle out fill that was resting in the transmission pan/rail lip with the gasket that blew rearward. It's not so noticeable when the transmission is level but when you return it to it's natural rearward slope with the truck (not the transmission) level, some of the spillage collects there.

In short, don't tighten any bolts until the outside of the pan is clean to avoid mistakenly over-torqueing any of them...

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Fellas,

Since I first started asking questions on how to service the 8 speed ZF transmission I put about 40,000 miles on it.

I reviewed the “green sheet” and torque pattern instructions. Half the time we have used this truck it has been pulling a 5x10 enclosed trailer back and forth from NY to florida

So I did both rear differentials again with redline fluids, the transfer case with the Amsoil ATF.

I did the first service on the Transmission with the new PPE pan I put in the last time. I bought bought three extra filters and three extra gaskets

I use the Valvoline max life the last time and did two subsequent fluid exchanges. The fluid didn’t look that bad during the drain. I got about 6 1/2 quart out and I let it drain overnight.

I went through the sequence on the “green instruction sheet”.

It took almost 7+ quarts of the Max Life atf fluid. It looked like it was just starting to leak out of the fill plug area.

I’m letting the Transmission cool down again. I plan on checking it again later.

My question is to do the final fluid level check does the truck need to be running and in Park? Or can I do the final fluid level check without the vehicle running?

I still have the rear end jacked up and on stands. So the transmission surfaces are level.

Thanks for any clarification on this.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Fellas,

Since I first started asking questions on how to service the 8 speed ZF transmission I put about 40,000 miles on it.

I reviewed the “green sheet” and torque pattern instructions. Half the time we have used this truck it has been pulling a 5x10 enclosed trailer back and forth from NY to florida

So I did both rear differentials again with redline fluids, the transfer case with the Amsoil ATF.

I did the first service on the Transmission with the new PPE pan I put in the last time. I bought bought three extra filters and three extra gaskets

I use the Valvoline max life the last time and did two subsequent fluid exchanges. The fluid didn’t look that bad during the drain. I got about 6 1/2 quart out and I let it drain overnight.

It took almost 7+ quarts of the Max Life atf fluid. It looked like it was just starting to leak out of the fill plug area.

I’m letting the Transmission cool down again. I plan on checking it again later.

My question is to do the final fluid level check does the truck need to be running and in Park? Or can I do the final fluid level check without the vehicle running?

I still have the rear end jacked up and on stands. So the transmission surfaces are level.

It must be done while running and the transmission leveled AND having gone through the gears and getting to second gear. This fills the transmission circuits. Not doing this will result in fluid draining out that would otherwise be somewhere in the transmission system unable to drain into the pan.

In other words, if you don't do this the level will be low.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is there any approximate RPM which indicates second gear?

The transmission is level now. I wound up jacking up the rear end about 9 1/2 inches to get it level.

I’m waiting for the transmission to cool down to go through the sequence one more time.

I just want to confirm that the final fluid level check is with the engine running and in park?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is there any approximate RPM which indicates second gear?

The transmission is level now. I wound up jacking up the rear end about 9 1/2 inches to get it level.

I’m waiting for the transmission to cool down to go through the sequence one more time.

I just want to confirm that the final fluid level check is with the engine running and in park?
With the wheels able to spin freely, you can disable ESC (button near Tow/Haul button below the radio) and use the steering wheel gear selection buttons (+ and -) to limit the top gear to 2nd gear (must be in drive to select gear). Then just gas it up to about 2000RPMs and it should easily reach second gear although you may not here it go into gear in this scenario. I didn't hear it but I know it had to have, just hard to hear the change I guess with the wheels off the ground and only going to second. Plus I know my truck has a transmission update that only takes it out of second after the wheels have come to 0mph for I believe 1 second.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Fellas,

Do not pull the fill plug with-out it running,otherwise you're going to have a big mess on the floor.
You'll only make that mistake once though,lol

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The transmission temp started at 89° while sitting overnight. I started it up and put some more fluid in the fill hole. Then put the fill plug in finger tight.

Then I went through all the gear sequences again. Final check I put a little more fluid in until it was dripping out. Temp got up to just over 100°.

So everything is good to go now. Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Let me ask you fellas one more question. From your experience is there a better gasket to use on these PPE pans?

I know I had ordered three extra filters from one of the suppliers who sells the PPE pans. I think the company was alligator performance. I put all the parts in a plastic tote and kept them up on the shelf in the garage.

I had three gaskets as well. Can’t remember what company it was that made the gaskets? But is there a better gasket I should be looking for in the future?

Thanks

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Let me ask you fellas one more question. From your experience is there a better gasket to use on these PPE pans?

I know I had ordered three extra filters from one of the suppliers who sells the PPE pans. I think the company was alligator performance. I put all the parts in a plastic tote and kept them up on the shelf in the garage.

I had three gaskets as well. Can’t remember what company it was that made the gaskets? But is there a better gasket I should be looking for in the future?

Thanks
I used MOPAR...

Chrysler Genuine 68172556AA Oil Pan Gasket https://a.co/d/6sfSZ47

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks

I used OEM on the Ram but I’ve always had good service from Fel-pro and Mahle gaskets. When I purchased my OEM gasket it was actually cheaper than the Fel-pro equivalent.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Thanks

We've been using LubeLocker Gaskets on the RFE Chrysler Pans with great results (no leaks). Don't know if they make gaskets for the ZF 8 speed transmissions.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Let me ask you fellas another question about the front/rear differential fluid levels and transfer case levels.

I did those while I had the rear end jacked up about 9 1/2 inches to level the transmission. Is it OK to do it that way?

Or is it best to level the wheels front and back equally to check those levels? I want to make sure I’m doing it the correct way.

Thanks