Turning turn signal mirrors into Running Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GapperGus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I love the nice white glow of white running lights. It’s just a nice little accent. I have running lights in my headlights (AlphaRex Luxx Alpha Blacks) and eventually in the fog lights. I bought the mirrors of a big horn with the bottom side turn signals. Is there any way in AlphaOBD or in just wiring that I can have the white lights (I plan on getting aftermarket signals with both amber and white) as running lights that switch to amber when turning? I know it’s a big ask for knowledge but I wanted to pick brains before digging in OBD

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am pretty certain it's possible, I'm no AlfaOBD wizard, in fact I've messed up more than I've fixed, but in selecting DRL location, isn't mirror lights an option?

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Boost auto sells kits to do what your wanting. Expensive but they’ll do what your wanting, it can’t be done with just Alfaobd, at least not that I’ve ever heard of.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I love the nice white glow of white running lights. It’s just a nice little accent. I have running lights in my headlights (AlphaRex Luxx Alpha Blacks) and eventually in the fog lights. I bought the mirrors of a big horn with the bottom side turn signals. Is there any way in AlphaOBD or in just wiring that I can have the white lights (I plan on getting aftermarket signals with both amber and white) as running lights that switch to amber when turning? I know it’s a big ask for knowledge but I wanted to pick brains before digging in OBD
Unfortunately it's not an AlfaOBD function because no such programming is present in the BCM to use for this. You have to run wires to each door to make this happen. There are lots of videos and kits on YouTube if you want to get this done though...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Wanted to chime In on here. I saw all the different harnesses you can get from jhd, boost and ddp with jhd being the most budget friendly route and ddp being the most expensive but least invasive as far as dismantling the vehicle.

It got me thinking though because it seems these harnesses are utilizing diodes and or relays in some fashion. I think with tapping into the DRL driver on the bcm for each side you can effectively use the jhd harness and get the effect of boost or ddp (I.e. DRL dropout when signal is engaged) as long as you have everything enabled through alpha. And then this got me thinking that you can utilize diodes in a manner to also tap the parking lights on the bcm as well, so effectively you can have the dropout of DRL when turn signal is engaged and a marker light when vehicle is not in drive. With that being said you could essentially wire everything yourself and skip purchasing a harness.

I’m sure there are other ways to manipulate the wiring through a relay but unless you know how to do it the correct way it’d be some trial and error.
I think I get what you are saying, but in this setup wouldn't you loose the marker light as a turn signal? It would just turn off when the turn signal is active, no?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes absolutely. But depending on what mirror light you have specifically (like an actual switchback) would depend on how the wiring is done. I just finished up working this out and will edit my post to show what I came up with.

Jhd harness and boost 1.0 harness use diodes and a resistor to dim the running light itself and then blink brighter for the signal. The drl never drops out. I personally like the drl/marker light to drop on the mirror to match the one in the headlight. Now if they were actual marker lights on the hood or cab then yea obviously you wouldn’t want those to drop out or even blink for that matter.
I'm the other way and disable drop out on my vehicles but I'm sure many would appreciate your how-to. You might even consider making it it's own thread with pictures/video of the new operation?