Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys!

Okay guys, I’m afraid the dreaded day is approaching soon and I need some advice. Just for some background, my ‘17 Crew Cab 1500 had some collapsed lifters in the original engine at ~315,000 miles, and I had a brand new long block installed by Dodge, along with servicing a few things except for the transmission. The truck was/is a workhorse, and there really weren’t any symptoms or issues with shifting, no noises, no vibrations, perfect shifting and rpm’s while driving under and all conditions.

At some point, I am pretty sure it was after the engine swap, but could have been prior (not sure if it’s relevant), the truck started running a bit warm under load; Both the engine oil, and transmission temps were higher than I was used to… Fast forward to several weeks ago and I found a little drip, coming from an unusual spot- from the front bumper! Turns out, the OEM radiator failed… at around 380,000 miles… Fast forward a bit more, to a few days after the radiator was replaced, when an all too familiar sound presented itself- it was the water pump.

Now, if you recall, I had a BRAND NEW engine installed in Sept. ‘23 and they put the old water pump and thermostat in…. How do you guys feel about that? As a note: When they pulled the old block, and were prepping to drop the new one, I told them that I wanted to replace anything and everything that it would make sense to replace while the engine was out - while being conscious of my limited budget. I decided to get the 4x4 system serviced (which came with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty) as well as the fuel system serviced, also with a 3 yr unlimited warranty ( as does the block)… if I had known that the water pump was not part of a brand new long block, then I would have surely paid $200 for a new water pump, as it would have been $0 in extra labor. They also left the old t-stat and failed to recognize/replace the worn and slightly dry rotted serpentine belt.

Needless to say, the oil and trans temps are both still getting up there, while under load ( and trans temp runs high pretty regularly, by ~10 degrees F) The oil temp goes from 1/2 position on temp gauge under normal operating conditions and creeps up to 3/4 on the gauge, but not at or above 3/4, at “heavy” load. The transmission temp which used to be 1/2 position consistently ( if I remember correctly, even under load) and now normally operates at 5/8, and under “heavy” load, creeps up to about 2/3… sorry if that’s confusing, I’ll specify temps if anyone wants.

Which brings me to the real issue at hand… I have a not so familiar vibration, and it appears to be related to the transmission. First of all, on a cold start, after a minute or so of idling, when I first start to accelerate in Drive, first to second gear “thumps” a bit if I give it too much gas. The other fairly recent symptom, or so I believe, is when driving for extended periods, let’s say coming off the highway on an off ramp, one of lower gear shifts produces a “thump” as well. This transmission now has 409,000 miles on it, and as far as I know has never been serviced.

I bought the truck with 40k miles in the earlier part of 2020. Since then, besides the basic stuff and common issues with vehicles, first of all- it has been absolutely amazing to me and for me, and has never left me stranded for something unreasonable or not due to my negligence, I have done the following “mods”:
  • new engine replacement
  • radiator & water pump
  • Front hubs replaced
  • Front struts, rear shocks and coils.
  • High flow catalytic converters

Also, in addition to the suspension work, I got new tires recently, a set of Maxxis Rzr's, in case it may bear some relevance in the vibrations I am getting at high speeds… well, that’s up until recently… it appears to be vibrating as though I’m driving on a rough road…. And seems to get worse during shifting… where I feel a vibration.

My question is… do I simply service the transmission (it’s the 8 speed) and take a chance on it needing to be rebuilt? do I buy a used one (around $1000 bucks after shipping)? Do I buy a remanufactured one for $2,500-$3,500? Unfortunately, I think getting it done at the dealer this time around is in the cards for me, so that’s not an option, but when I talked with a dealer some time back, they suggested it could be in the $9,000 range for parts and labor for a new transmission. So again, not going to happen.

Financially speaking, I’m leaning toward servicing the transmission, and possibly upgrading the pan/filter for a bigger sump and better cooling fins and metal filter… or something like that… and crossing my fingers these symptoms go away. I’m not sure if I want to do the service myself, or have my mechanic do it, as I have a feeling it may be a waste of time given the symptoms… ALSO- there is oily residue on the bottom, back side of the transmission pan, but no signs of leakage according to the dealer and mechanic. Granted the dealer told me this, now 91,000 miles ago roughly, when I had the new block dropped.

What are your guys’ tboughts? Thanks!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Perhaps you have a bad u-joint. You need a mechanic to do a full review before you go fixing things that you don't know are broken. Maybe software upgrade is needed to alter shift action. Not sure if these, but either is possible. For u-joint vet under and try to twist and shake drive shafts. If loose, that could be the problem.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Hey guys!

Okay guys, I’m afraid the dreaded day is approaching soon and I need some advice. Just for some background, my ‘17 Crew Cab 1500 had some collapsed lifters in the original engine at ~315,000 miles, and I had a brand new long block installed by Dodge, along with servicing a few things except for the transmission. The truck was/is a workhorse, and there really weren’t any symptoms or issues with shifting, no noises, no vibrations, perfect shifting and rpm’s while driving under and all conditions.

At some point, I am pretty sure it was after the engine swap, but could have been prior (not sure if it’s relevant), the truck started running a bit warm under load; Both the engine oil, and transmission temps were higher than I was used to… Fast forward to several weeks ago and I found a little drip, coming from an unusual spot- from the front bumper! Turns out, the OEM radiator failed… at around 380,000 miles… Fast forward a bit more, to a few days after the radiator was replaced, when an all too familiar sound presented itself- it was the water pump.

Now, if you recall, I had a BRAND NEW engine installed in Sept. ‘23 and they put the old water pump and thermostat in…. How do you guys feel about that? As a note: When they pulled the old block, and were prepping to drop the new one, I told them that I wanted to replace anything and everything that it would make sense to replace while the engine was out - while being conscious of my limited budget. I decided to get the 4x4 system serviced (which came with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty) as well as the fuel system serviced, also with a 3 yr unlimited warranty ( as does the block)… if I had known that the water pump was not part of a brand new long block, then I would have surely paid $200 for a new water pump, as it would have been $0 in extra labor. They also left the old t-stat and failed to recognize/replace the worn and slightly dry rotted serpentine belt.

Needless to say, the oil and trans temps are both still getting up there, while under load ( and trans temp runs high pretty regularly, by ~10 degrees F) The oil temp goes from 1/2 position on temp gauge under normal operating conditions and creeps up to 3/4 on the gauge, but not at or above 3/4, at “heavy” load. The transmission temp which used to be 1/2 position consistently ( if I remember correctly, even under load) and now normally operates at 5/8, and under “heavy” load, creeps up to about 2/3… sorry if that’s confusing, I’ll specify temps if anyone wants.

Which brings me to the real issue at hand… I have a not so familiar vibration, and it appears to be related to the transmission. First of all, on a cold start, after a minute or so of idling, when I first start to accelerate in Drive, first to second gear “thumps” a bit if I give it too much gas. The other fairly recent symptom, or so I believe, is when driving for extended periods, let’s say coming off the highway on an off ramp, one of lower gear shifts produces a “thump” as well. This transmission now has 409,000 miles on it, and as far as I know has never been serviced.

I bought the truck with 40k miles in the earlier part of 2020. Since then, besides the basic stuff and common issues with vehicles, first of all- it has been absolutely amazing to me and for me, and has never left me stranded for something unreasonable or not due to my negligence, I have done the following “mods”:
  • new engine replacement
  • radiator & water pump
  • Front hubs replaced

Also, in addition to the suspension work, I got new tires recently, a set of Maxxis Rzr's, in case it may bear some relevance in the vibrations I am getting at high speeds… well, that’s up until recently… it appears to be vibrating as though I’m driving on a rough road…. And seems to get worse during shifting… where I feel a vibration.

My question is… do I simply service the transmission (it’s the 8 speed) and take a chance on it needing to be rebuilt? do I buy a used one (around $1000 bucks after shipping)? Do I buy a remanufactured one for $2,500-$3,500? Unfortunately, I think getting it done at the dealer this time around is in the cards for me, so that’s not an option, but when I talked with a dealer some time back, they suggested it could be in the $9,000 range for parts and labor for a new transmission. So again, not going to happen.

Financially speaking, I’m leaning toward servicing the transmission, and possibly upgrading the pan/filter for a bigger sump and better cooling fins and metal filter… or something like that… and crossing my fingers these symptoms go away. I’m not sure if I want to do the service myself, or have my mechanic do it, as I have a feeling it may be a waste of time given the symptoms… ALSO- there is oily residue on the bottom, back side of the transmission pan, but no signs of leakage according to the dealer and mechanic. Granted the dealer told me this, now 91,000 miles ago roughly, when I had the new block dropped.

Man, all of that going on and you have not serviced your tranny?

Sounds like an no brainer to me ... you've most definitely nothing to loose by doing that simple maintenance, js.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The part that would frustrate me the most is putting the old worn serpentine belt back on?!? Just ridiculous.

Anywho, I would continue to drive it. The trans has given 400,000+ miles. Drive it til it completely fails and then replace with a refurbished one.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perhaps you have a bad u-joint. You need a mechanic to do a full review before you go fixing things that you don't know are broken. Maybe software upgrade is needed to alter shift action. Not sure if these, but either is possible. For u-joint vet under and try to twist and shake drive shafts. If loose, that could be the problem.
That would be nice! Only reason I ruled out a u-joint/driveshaft/axle issue - is because of the odd shifts, as described, and also that it seems to present itself in two instances: high speeds, and during shifts (even at low speeds)... But I will cross my fingers that it's just a u-joint. Thank you for the advice!

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, all of that going on and you have not serviced your tranny?

Sounds like an no brainer to me ... you've most definitely nothing to loose by doing that simple maintenance, js.
Agreed. They wanted over $1,200 for it, and I was already scrounging together bits and pieces to cover the cost of the engine being replaced. (it was a bill of over $15,000) and I told them to look the transmission over - they said there were 0 symptoms that would cause them any concern and recommended I did the full fuel and 4x4 systems... Either way, I totally agree, just couldn't do it at the time. Now, I don't want to waste the money it will cost to service, even at a local shop at around 1/2 the cost - because what are the chances I get it services, and the symptoms persist...? Right?

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The part that would frustrate me the most is putting the old worn serpentine belt back on?!? Just ridiculous.

Anywho, I would continue to drive it. The trans has given 400,000+ miles. Drive it til it completely fails and then replace with a refurbished one.
That and the water pump were equally frustrating... For me, a water pump lasting anywhere near 300K miles in unheard of and I have seen anywhere from 100K-200K recommended replacement... so just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't even ask me if I wanted to swap the pump being that the engine was pulled. I had to spend $900 to get it done the other day. Did the belt myself. It was like $35. That's my point though.. they removed the old belt, as well as the water pump - so there literally was no extra labor to be charged on that replacement... that, in my humble opinion was a no brainer... not so much getting the transmission serviced as its a much bigger expense.

Also, when I bought it, I knew I would drive the truck til the wheels fall off... Lately, it feels like that's been happening, but little by little, I have been replacing the major pain points. I believe the trans is the last order of business. I have no choice but to keep driving it and fix what I can as it is called for.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Agreed. They wanted over $1,200 for it, and I was already scrounging together bits and pieces to cover the cost of the engine being replaced. (it was a bill of over $15,000) and I told them to look the transmission over - they said there were 0 symptoms that would cause them any concern and recommended I did the full fuel and 4x4 systems... Either way, I totally agree, just couldn't do it at the time. Now, I don't want to waste the money it will cost to service, even at a local shop at around 1/2 the cost - because what are the chances I get it services, and the symptoms persist...? Right?

You can perform the tranny drain/filter change and refill by yourself, if you have an basic mechanical skill ... there is an current thread on this topic, just do a search and read away ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normally, I would, and probably will to be honest... As a matter of fact, I do all basic maintenance on my vehicles, always have since I was a kid, and am pretty mechanically inclined... not sure if my story indicates that... But I have diagnosed virtually all of my vehicles' issues accurately... The real issue is finding time, I know, excuses excuses... but my actions are a function of necessity. I will need to just bite the bullet eventually... trying to drag it out as long as possible. And not sure if a service will be a waste of time/money or if it's shot.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can perform the tranny drain/filter change and refill by yourself, if you have an basic mechanical skill ... there is an current thread on this topic, just do a search and read away ...
Normally, I would, and probably will to be honest... As a matter of fact, I do all basic maintenance on my vehicles, always have since I was a kid, and am pretty mechanically inclined... not sure if my story indicates that... But I have diagnosed virtually all of my vehicles' issues accurately... The real issue is finding time, I know, excuses excuses... but my actions are a function of necessity. I will need to just bite the bullet eventually... trying to drag it out as long as possible. And not sure if a service will be a waste of time/money or if it's shot.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It is possible that part of your issues at wheel balance and the second issue could be U-Joints.
the U-Joint are sealed non serviceable so unless you have replaced them. think about it small needle bearing an a small cap holding them turning at a very high RPM and lots of heat and a unbelievable amount of pressure on them every time you hit the gas and bumps ! and all this since 2017 !!! grease drys out ! I have seen what you are describing as far as thumping and vibration goes ! hope this is a help !!! good luck

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is possible that part of your issues at wheel balance and the second issue could be U-Joints.
the U-Joint are sealed non serviceable so unless you have replaced them. think about it small needle bearing an a small cap holding them turning at a very high RPM and lots of heat and a unbelievable amount of pressure on them every time you hit the gas and bumps ! and all this since 2017 !!! grease drys out ! I have seen what you are describing as far as thumping and vibration goes ! hope this is a help !!! good luck
Even with the odd shifts? Man... I am really feeling much better, people don't seem to think the trans has **** the bed. I will have the balance checked again, and also had an alignment done... maybe will have that checked again as well... But from what it sounds like, I just need to replace them - as they cannot be diagnosed?

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Even with the odd shifts? Man... I am really feeling much better, people don't seem to think the trans has **** the bed. I will have the balance checked again, and also had an alignment done... maybe will have that checked again as well... But from what it sounds like, I just need to replace them - as they cannot be diagnosed?
Sadly no U-Joints at that age and miles on them I would probably replace them with a good set that is serviceable (with grease fittings) U-Joint can and will set up a vibration and also thump VERY UNLIKELY this is your problem but a drive shaft if the weight is knocked off or falls off ! But like i said that is very rear that happens unless something hits it

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Well, you may have these mentioned issues along with your transmission if you haven't performed maintenance at the required mileage intervals and to service your transmission may not be worth the time and money along with the other possible causes mentioned.

... maintenance is crucial for longevity ...

It seems to me, imho, the lack of maintenance is costing you more in the long run ... think about the $ you would saved by spending a little $ on simple routine maintenance.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys!

• new engine replacement
  • radiator & water pump
  • Front hubs replaced

Never serviced the transmission. Wow statement
First off the thump could be a U joint. The heating could be a clogged filter in the transmission. I have never heard of anyone not servicing there transmission before.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 8 speed must have thick clutch’s in it. Torque converters have a clutch that can wear out. And it can slip causing temp’s to rise. My 1500 has the 545rfe and the transmission guy that did mine at 300,000 miles ,said the clutch’s were gone. And I hardly tow & I maintenance it . (Filters & 7q fluid every 30,000 miles. As for the dealer putting the old t-stat in a new block. I would never go back. As that t-stat could blow the new block & they (dealer) would not warranty it. Also if that radiator had a cooler for the trans . They probably didn’t top off the trans after replacing it .(rad). Buying a used trans isn’t bad if you can see the truck & mileage of truck it came from.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 8 speed must have thick clutch’s in it. Torque converters have a clutch that can wear out. And it can slip causing temp’s to rise. My 1500 has the 545rfe and the transmission guy that did mine at 300,000 miles ,said the clutch’s were gone. And I hardly tow & I maintenance it . (Filters & 7q fluid every 30,000 miles. As for the dealer putting the old t-stat in a new block. I would never go back. As that t-stat could blow the new block & they (dealer) would not warranty it. Also if that radiator had a cooler for the trans . They probably didn’t top off the trans after replacing it .(rad). Buying a used trans isn’t bad if you can see the truck & mileage of truck it came from.
Any clutch is technically sacrificial. Even one on a manual transmission.

Every time a clutch is engaged on a shift, you are going to lose a tiny bit of friction material. Ram-rodding and towing will accelerate the process. Eventually the miles add up.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 111390 miles.

daCelt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd do a filter/fluid change at a minimum as soon as time allows. Are you having any trans related codes?

I had a trans pump start to fail about 175K mi. Although it would tow like crap, it still drove fine for a year without towing. I only fixed it because we had inspections at the time and they wouldn't pass me with a SESL on. I think it was a P04 code... They replaced the torque converter at the same time and it's been great since (but I don't tow anymore so IDK what part that played into failure.) 203K mi.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Dodge hasn't had a transmission cooler in the rad for years .The transmission cooler is in the top part of the A/C condensor.To replace the transmission cooler,means you're also replacing the A/C condensor

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
With that mileage, If you don't want a full service, and it may not be a great idea, I would suggest if you have a spot to do it, I would check oil level, You have to have the trans in gear running, with the transmission case level and warm , rear of truck up in the air, it would cost nothing to check level of the oil, other then some time.
If it was getting low, that could raise the temp I would think. Check the rad/ condenser condition
I have never done one, just what I read, I know old Honda's they say if hi mileage and still OK , don't mess with it.
BTW I have 80km, about 50,000 miles on my 2014, so you have a bit more.
I presume you have the 8 speed in 1500 That must be a good one, PS not changing a old water pump is really stupid on the dealer.

Last edited: