Vibration when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeanK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm towing a 26' offshore aluminum boat, gross weight approx. 9,000 lb. Up until 2022 I towed it with my Toyota Tundra with no issues (except a bit underpowered). So I traded it for a new 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi . It seems like whenever I'm towing, at around 60 mph I feel a shimmying or vibration. I can feel it in the steering wheel and also the seat. At first I thought it was the boat trailer (dual axle), so replaced all 4 tires and had them balanced. That didn't solve the problem. I had my truck tires rebalanced. No help. I run studded tires in the winter and have towed the boat with those. Same vibration problem. Today I borrowed a friend's truck, exactly the same model as mine... a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi. Felt the vibration a few times at around 60 mph or so. Not as pronounced as in my own Ram. I'm wondering if the coil springs on this model Ram are prone to this type of vibration. I only notice it at speeds around 60 or so. If I slow down it goes away. Same if I speed up. One more thing, if I'm on cruise control at 60 it'll be fine for a few miles, then the slight vibration starts and maybe lasts a mile or two, then stops for awhile. Has anyone experienced something similar in their Ram? Any suggestions? (besides going back to my old 2008 Tundra!). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is likely resonance from the 2 piece driveshaft due to the angle. My first inclination would be to bolster the truck's height back to the level of the unloaded truck while loaded with the boat.

That's sans using a vibration analyzer to accurately pinpoint the problem.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm towing a 26' offshore aluminum boat, gross weight approx. 9,000 lb. Up until 2022 I towed it with my Toyota Tundra with no issues (except a bit underpowered). So I traded it for a new 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi . It seems like whenever I'm towing, at around 60 mph I feel a shimmying or vibration. I can feel it in the steering wheel and also the seat. At first I thought it was the boat trailer (dual axle), so replaced all 4 tires and had them balanced. That didn't solve the problem. I had my truck tires rebalanced. No help. I run studded tires in the winter and have towed the boat with those. Same vibration problem. Today I borrowed a friend's truck, exactly the same model as mine... a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi. Felt the vibration a few times at around 60 mph or so. Not as pronounced as in my own Ram. I'm wondering if the coil springs on this model Ram are prone to this type of vibration. I only notice it at speeds around 60 or so. If I slow down it goes away. Same if I speed up. One more thing, if I'm on cruise control at 60 it'll be fine for a few miles, then the slight vibration starts and maybe lasts a mile or two, then stops for awhile. Has anyone experienced something similar in their Ram? Any suggestions? (besides going back to my old 2008 Tundra!). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I could be due to the difference in ball height between your old Tundra and your 2500. If the 2500 sits higher - which it probably does - that little bit of an angle could be the culprit. Try using a different ball mount, one that lowers the boat trailer tongue a couple inches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neuropathysux