Videos changing From H11 to H9 and from H9005 to H9011 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have looked and found Videos and Instructions on Changing the H11 bulbs to the H9 Bulbs and although some use a Dremel tool or a Razor knife to remove the Metal tabs and the Plastic Piece this Method would seem to do the Job as well?

Is this the only changes that need to be done to the H9 Bulbs to fit inside the headlight housing ?

I looked and found a Video on Changing the 2005 Bulbs to the
9011 Bulbs and found this.

Is this the Only Change that needs to be done to the H9011 Bulbs to fit inside the Headlight housing ?

Although I think the guy is talking about changing to a HIR bulb, I think that the info is revelent to changing the size of one of the plastic tabs on the H9011 bulbs to Match the size of the 2005 bulbs to insert the bulb into the housing.

I also found this video about the 9011 Bulb Modification where the guy uses side cutters and ends up splitting the bulb but then uses a small fine file and accomplishes the job.
He talks very low though and is hard to understand.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaNEGW7qxH8

Will these videos cover all the changes I need to make for the
H11 to H9 Bulbs AND all the changes from H9005 to H9011 Bulbs ?

I have been skipping around different sources of information so I can do mine and thought that this information would help others as well to find this information more easily.

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
But why? Doesn't make any sense to modify that bulb when it's just as common as the rest

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But why? Doesn't make any sense to modify that bulb when it's just as common as the rest

I am not understanding your comment at all.

In this instance the Bulbs have to be modified to fit in the Headlight Housing.

What is it that does not make sense to you ?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Just go to the store and get the proper bulb is what I'm implying.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The H11 to H9 and 9005 to 9011 conversions are to brighter spec bulbs.
Although I wouldn't bother swapping the 9005 to a 9011 for the high beams using a halogen bulb, better to use 9005 LED bulb.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Why not just run led or hid? Seems 1000x easier.
Some people are not willing to drill holes through the housing to add HID bulbs.
As for LEDs if you live in a colder climate, headlights can freeze over due in part to the lack of infrared heat in the light.
For either HID or LED there can be compatibility issues with the CANbus monitoring that some people are not wanting to modify/change anything with the BCM. Although the CANbus error free offerings are more plentiful nowadays and actually work.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some people are not willing to drill holes through the housing to add HID bulbs.
As for LEDs if you live in a colder climate, headlights can freeze over due in part to the lack of infrared heat in the light.
For either HID or LED there can be compatibility issues with the CANbus monitoring that some people are not wanting to modify/change anything with the BCM. Although the CANbus error free offerings are more plentiful nowadays and actually work.
I live in New England and never had an issue with my LED's freezing over. The OP seems to be doing a lot of unnecessary work for something that has plenty of options for improving light output without being so invasive but to each their own

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I live in New England and never had an issue with my LED's freezing over. The OP seems to be doing a lot of unnecessary work for something that has plenty of options for improving light output without being so invasive but to each their own
That was my thoughts. I live in the Yukon. I've never had an led freeze over issue.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That was my thoughts. I live in the Yukon. I've never had an led freeze over issue.

I live in an area that has been prone to sub- zero freezing rain quite frequently during the winter months with the occasional -40°C, tossed in between.

I'm very pleased with the LED lighting in my truck. :cool:

And, I've only been flicked twice since last November and both of those were grade related, AFAIC.

That's a big improvement over the number of reactions I received with crap OEM Halogen lights in the Tundra.