Warranty extensions for CHMSL and rear window leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I figured I'd just make a new thread rather than try to update existing threads on this. For 2019, 2020, and some 2021 1500's (DT) Stellantis is extending the warranty on the 3rd brake light and rear windows that suffer from water intrusion. Here are the TSB's...

Attachments

• chmsl.pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 412
  • backlite.pdf
    307.4 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
More importantly is there a fix for this issue rather than a warranty extension?

Ch

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More importantly is there a fix for this issue rather than a warranty extension?

Ch
I had a third brake issue on my previous RAM (2017 model) as the bulb burned out a couple of times ... It was caught by my dealership when I was in for servicing and they replaced it but did not mention if they had any idea why the bulb blew ... Months later I noticed the bulb was out again so I purchase a new bulb to replace it myself ... When I took off the lens cover I noticed the moisture inside and the gasket wasn't quite right ... I cleaned up the moisture and made sure it was completely dry and then took some weatherstripping and placed around the lens making sure there were no gaps ... Replaced the cover and didn't have a problem after that ...

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Ch
Yes, or is it saver to say supposedly?

68298380AG

For 5th gens the gasket material has been upgraded to a better, thicker foam material, and an extra strip of foam material is applied to the top of the lamp housing.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 98539 miles.

papcie03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
@RamCares, hoping for some help here. I sent a direct message a few weeks ago and never received a response. My 2020 RAM 1500 has water stains on the back right corner headliner. Took truck to local dealer with the two TSB's for the warranty extension on the CHMSL and back glass and was told my VIN is not covered by the back glass warranty extension TSB. My frame has cracks on either side of the power sliding window just as shown in the TSB. They told me they couldn't do anything and refused to reach out to headquarters. Hoping I can get some traction since my DM was not answered.

Explorer682

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@RamCares, hoping for some help here. I sent a direct message a few weeks ago and never received a response. My 2020 RAM 1500 has water stains on the back right corner headliner. Took truck to local dealer with the two TSB's for the warranty extension on the CHMSL and back glass and was told my VIN is not covered by the back glass warranty extension TSB. My frame has cracks on either side of the power sliding window just as shown in the TSB. They told me they couldn't do anything and refused to reach out to headquarters. Hoping I can get some traction since my DM was not answered.
I had the exact same issue you described. Mine was replaced yesterday. Took me 2 months getting nowhere with Ram Canada while the entire time my truck falls within the manufacturing dates , the TSB warranty extension for the rear window is for North America and the two cracks I had were in the exact location as in the TSB photo. Ram Canada , 2 separate dealers and Ram don’t Care none of them would tell me why my truck was not covered . Given the truck only has 48kms on and is out of warranty all they would say is sorry, it’s an out of pocket expense. Glass shops around here want $1200-1300cad to replace it. Finally after 2 months and soaked seats the service manager at my local dealer agreed to replace it under a good will warranty which was great of him. But that shouldn’t have needed to happen. Brutal service

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello, @papcie03 and @Explorer682!

Our team would like to see how we can best assist. As it seems you are based in Canada @Explorer682, we are limited in the help we can provide. Our team helps customers and vehicles primarily in the United States. We recommend calling 1-800-465-2001 for further assistance.

For @papcie03, please send us a private message with your VIN and vehicle mileage! We would like to look into this.

Hannah
Ram Cares

dork17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the exact same issue you described. Mine was replaced yesterday. Took me 2 months getting nowhere with Ram Canada while the entire time my truck falls within the manufacturing dates , the TSB warranty extension for the rear window is for North America and the two cracks I had were in the exact location as in the TSB photo. Ram Canada , 2 separate dealers and Ram don’t Care none of them would tell me why my truck was not covered . Given the truck only has 48kms on and is out of warranty all they would say is sorry, it’s an out of pocket expense. Glass shops around here want $1200-1300cad to replace it. Finally after 2 months and soaked seats the service manager at my local dealer agreed to replace it under a good will warranty which was great of him. But that shouldn’t have needed to happen. Brutal service

Bizarre. I'm in Canada as well and when I look up my VIN on the Mopar website, the only warranty extension that shows up is for the brake light (2019 DT). This warranty extension only applies to United States?? Mine leaks, and when I ask the dealers about it they "pretend" they have no idea what I'm talking about/doesn't exist in Canada. Can Ram hurry up and get this extension out to Canadian customers already?? What a joke.

Toon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L V6
My 2019 has had what I thought was a back window leak from the get go and the dealership sent us off to an auto-glass shop. They sprayed a water hose on the lower sliding window track and couldn't find the leak but it has continued to get the carpet wet under the passenger side of the back window.
I have heard that the vents on the back of the cab might be the cause. Does anyone have any information on replacing the vents?

OP
OP
mikeru

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2019 has had what I thought was a back window leak from the get go and the dealership sent us off to an auto-glass shop. They sprayed a water hose on the lower sliding window track and couldn't find the leak but it has continued to get the carpet wet under the passenger side of the back window.
I have heard that the vents on the back of the cab might be the cause. Does anyone have any information on replacing the vents?
Cab vents definitely were a problem in some early 2019 models. There are older threads that talk about that but it might take you some time searching for them.

Just so you know, the main problem with the rear window is not in the lower slider track. It has to do with the section of the window frame above the upper slider track. The frame cracks. These cracks eventually propagate all the way through the frame, allowing water to get inside the cab. Here's a pic of the window from our 2020 Limited after it was removed. You can see where the dealership tried to fix it with clear silicone...

Rear window crack 3.jpg

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
So 68298380AH is a better 3rd brake light Assy with gasket? I looked on the Mopar factory direct parts, it's listed at $15.68. Seem like for that price, I should order one and change it before it starts leaking.

tgwjrx06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@RamCares I am experiencing this same issue and my dealer provided the TSB 23-098-23 REV A dated 10/4/23.

My vehicle was manufactured before 9/30/2020 but they said my build date is not eligible for warranty. This is absolutely unacceptable. They evaluated my truck for the CHMSL recall and said they found cracked frame. The TSB says I’m covered by date but the VIN says I’m not.

How do I get assistance? I opened an FCA case but just have to wait. Service manager wouldn’t do anything or provide documentation as to where it said my build date wasn’t covered

@RamCares please help! They quoted me $2500 roughly to replace glass and headliner (recommended)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 14

Explorer682

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@RamCares I am experiencing this same issue and my dealer provided the TSB 23-098-23 REV A dated 10/4/23.

My vehicle was manufactured before 9/30/2020 but they said my build date is not eligible for warranty. This is absolutely unacceptable. They evaluated my truck for the CHMSL recall and said they found cracked frame. The TSB says I’m covered by date but the VIN says I’m not.

How do I get assistance? I opened an FCA case but just have to wait. Service manager wouldn’t do anything or provide documentation as to where it said my build date wasn’t covered

@RamCares please help! They quoted me $2500 roughly to replace glass and headliner (recommended)
I’ve spent the last 6 weeks dealing with the same issue , mine also falls within the build date and Ram Canada won’t warranty it . It’s totally unacceptable business practice . I’m in Canada , the rear glass component from the dealer is $700 . Glass shops want 3-4 hours to install. I’ve got a couple of quotes for $1200 cad . Removing the rear seats yourself would likely cut the installation price in half if you’re willing to do that.

BOXXERDOGG12003

Reaction score
I am in the USA and I am going through the same thing. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 am having the same issue, I took my truck to the dealer and they confirmed that water is leaking through the back window. They said my vehicle is not covered because the build date of the vehicle was 2018!!?? I told him that on the TSB it says ANYTHING built on or before Sept 30, 2020 is covered. He referred it to the Service Manager and he denied the coverage!!?? I also have an extended warranty which I am still in. I opened a customer case with Ram Cares but not sure what will happen with that. How the hell can they get away with that crap??

papcie03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Hello, @papcie03 and @Explorer682!

Our team would like to see how we can best assist. As it seems you are based in Canada @Explorer682, we are limited in the help we can provide. Our team helps customers and vehicles primarily in the United States. We recommend calling 1-800-465-2001 for further assistance.

For @papcie03, please send us a private message with your VIN and vehicle mileage! We would like to look into this.

Hannah
Ram Cares
@RamCares I resent another private message however I never received an answer from the one I sent on 11/21/23 which had the truck info and VIN. I just copied that message and resent again with current mileage. Hoping to get a reply this time.

scott511

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also sent a PM to Ramcares here based on the post above that says if anyone wanted to check their vin to see if it was covered.
I sent my vin and they got back to me a week later and said mine was not covered because it was a 2019. My truck is a 2020 with a build date of 10/19.
Since I just purchased the vehicle used a few months ago, I have not received the warranty extension letters; however, I can log into the Mopar site with my vehicle showing and the two warranty extensions are there.
I asked Ramcares in a PM how did the warranty extensions not apply to my vehicle, and have received zero response

scott511

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@scott511 did you ever here from Ramcares?
Nope. Both of those extended warranties are showing for my vehicle on mopar.com. The only response I've received from Ramcares is that my 2019 (it's a 20 not a 19) is not covered. When I asked how they did not pertain to mine, no response.

Last edited:

Explorer682

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope. Both of those extended warranties are showing for my vehicle on mopar.com. The only response I've received from Ramcares is that my 2019 (it's a 20 not a 19) is not covered. When I asked how they did not pertain to mine, no response.
Same here, zero response as to why mine isn’t covered when clearly it should have been