4.7 Finally Dead. Future upgrade plans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hello everyone.

Welp, my 4.7 finally kicked the bucket recently. Started with what sounded like piston slap, pulled the head, found some decent wear in cyl 7 along with the piston itself being easy to move and slapping along the bore causing the noise.

I’m moving to TX in a few months because cali has gone to crap. We all know why that is, and im not going to talk about it more from there.

Goal right now, since the truck has absolutely NO rust anywhere, and is in very good shape aside from the engine is:

- Pull the bad piston/rod from the engine
- Hone out the bore wear, get a new piston/rod combo, just to make it the drive to TX
- Drive it around for a bit in cali, to break it all in, and then make it to TX
- Once in TX, pull the 4.7 and the trans, and swap in a SRT 6.4L/8HP turn-key crate engine. Then turbo/cam both later on.

Given truck prices now, and the fact i will never be able to part with this truck, i think this will be for the best.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello everyone.

Welp, my 4.7 finally kicked the bucket recently. Started with what sounded like piston slap, pulled the head, found some decent wear in cyl 7 along with the piston itself being easy to move and slapping along the bore causing the noise.

I’m moving to TX in a few months because cali has gone to crap. We all know why that is, and im not going to talk about it more from there.

Goal right now, since the truck has absolutely NO rust anywhere, and is in very good shape aside from the engine is:

- Pull the bad piston/rod from the engine
- Hone out the bore wear, get a new piston/rod combo, just to make it the drive to TX
- Drive it around for a bit in cali, to break it all in, and then make it to TX
- Once in TX, pull the 4.7 and the trans, and swap in a SRT 6.4L/8HP turn-key crate engine. Then turbo/cam both later on.

Given truck prices now, and the fact i will never be able to part with this truck, i think this will be for the best.
I'd look closer at the truck 6.4 if you're going to boost a 6.4. It'll take more boost on it's stock pistons then the higher compression car/jeep 6.4 will take on stock pistons,plus the truck 6.4 has better heads. With a valve spring and valve swap,you basically have hellcat heads,with a naturally aspirated intake manifold bolt pattern.
Good article here on the truck 6.4.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I'd look closer at the truck 6.4 if you're going to boost a 6.4. It'll take more boost on it's stock pistons then the higher compression car/jeep 6.4 will take on stock pistons,plus the truck 6.4 has better heads. With a valve spring and valve swap,you basically have hellcat heads,with a naturally aspirated intake manifold bolt pattern.
Good article here on the truck 6.4.

Thank you, you just gave me even better ideas! Lol.

Truck 6.4s are a bit cheaper too. Would be sick!