Wheel Diameter Oversized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brianxrson

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently bought a set of Ion Alloy 179 wheels, 18"x 9" for my Ram 2019 2500. I took them to tire warehouse go get my tires swapped onto them. Tire warehouse ended up telling me they couldn't get the tires on because the rim was oversized and was stretching the tire. I brought the rims home and measured them, the circumference where the bead seats was a hair under 57.125" meaning the tire is 18.18" in diameter or 3/16 oversized. This wasn't just one tire, but all of them. Anybody run into this issue before? On the fence about taking them to my mechanic to try to mount or just returning them. For reference, tire size is stock 275 70 18.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
They were probably referring to the width of the new wheel being wider than stock. They have a book of min/max tire size that permits them to safely mount a particular tire size on a window of widths of a rim.
I ran into this year's ago when I had 7" wide wheel and they refused to mount a 12.5" wide tire. In my case the installer showed me that he couldn't do it because the wheel was not wide enough. It also would show the stock tire size for a specific vehicle which they also told me they would not mount the tires knowing what i was putting them on. This was for my rock crawler Samurai on 35x12.50s.
I'm sure the chart is available on the internet somewhere.
But yeah, find an independent tire shop to mount and road balance them.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They were probably referring to the width of the new wheel being wider than stock. They have a book of min/max tire size that permits them to safely mount a particular tire size on a window of widths of a rim.
I ran into this year's ago when I had 7" wide wheel and they refused to mount a 12.5" wide tire. In my case the installer showed me that he couldn't do it because the wheel was not wide enough. It also would show the stock tire size for a specific vehicle which they also told me they would not mount the tires knowing what i was putting them on. This was for my rock crawler Samurai on 35x12.50s.
I'm sure the chart is available on the internet somewhere.
But yeah, find an independent tire shop to mount and road balance them.

Most tire manufacturer's websites will specify the rim sizes, including the range of widths suitable for that specific tire.

Michelin tire rim width.jpg