Wheel Well Liner Rubbing - Stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellowblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 1500 Classic
Engine
V6
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first post here. Sorry if this is the wrong area.

I have a 2023 1500 Classic with just under 6000kms on it. I’ve been getting this rubbing/grinding noise when doing hard turns at low speeds heard more so from the driver side. It looks like the wheel well liner (?) is loose. I took it to the dealer to check out but I have to bring it back because the technician didn’t fix it or think it was an issue. Everything is stock on this as well, no mods. What do you think may be the cause/solution? Could this cause any other issues if left for a while? Any info will help in the meantime before I bring it back in. Hoping these pics might help (front, driver side).

Thanks!

EECF6640-CF54-41FD-B8F0-3FB1491E275A.jpegA7788396-A5E3-41D9-BF6A-CF7EF2F34011.jpeg

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I have a brand new Warlock Classic and I carve the turns with speed, on and off the highway ramps, and in town at slower speeds, and have never had this issue.

However, do you have the stock OEM tires on, the ones that came standard on the truck when purchased new?

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Easy fix, cut 2 slits in the front of the liner about an inch apart, put a ziptie through that and to the body mount located about 6 inches forward. You’ll need 2 zip ties. Usually the issue is at highway speeds the wind blows the liner back towards the wheel and then it gets stuck there for a while.

OP
OP
Y

yellowblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 1500 Classic
Engine
V6
I have a brand new Warlock Classic and I carve the turns with speed, on and off the highway ramps, and in town at slower speeds, and have never had this issue.

However, do you have the stock OEM tires on, the ones that came standard on the truck when purchased new?
Yes they are the stock tires that came with the truck when purchased new a few months ago, they’re the Goodyear Wranglers. I do a mix of city and highway as well, nothing crazy excessive either!

OP
OP
Y

yellowblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 1500 Classic
Engine
V6
Easy fix, cut 2 slits in the front of the liner about an inch apart, put a ziptie through that and to the body mount located about 6 inches forward. You’ll need 2 zip ties. Usually the issue is at highway speeds the wind blows the liner back towards the wheel and then it gets stuck there for a while.
Thank you - I will definitely try this, I’m going to bring it back to the dealership for another look since it’s still under warranty. If they can’t find a fix I will try this out!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In the images, it looks like you have rubbed the Inner Fenders a bit.

May i suggest that if you own a Heat Gun, heat up the plastic of the inner fender & use something like a short piece of wood to shape the plastic.

Another thing that you could do, might be dangerous to your health
You could use a Hair Dryer, just don't get caught

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Yes they are the stock tires that came with the truck when purchased new a few months ago, they’re the Goodyear Wranglers. I do a mix of city and highway as well, nothing crazy excessive either!
For a stock set up, they shouldn't be rubbing.
Definitely go to the dealership and ask them to investigate thoroughly.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a solution^^^^. or you could use a heat gun to soften then manipulate it to gain more clearance .
If the wind is blowing the liner back that won’t make a difference

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
the inner fender plastic is thick enough, that wind should not affect it

Those tires are wider than anything that left the assembly plant & to me it looks like some kind of off road tire

OP
OP
Y

yellowblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 1500 Classic
Engine
V6
Update: I spoke with the dealership and they ordered another liner to replace this one. It’s under warranty and I purchased the extended warranty so I want to make sure to use it. Hoping this will help!

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Those tires may have been on the truck when you bought it but those are not OEM tires. They're also probably a size or two larger than the original tires.
That's why they only rub when turning.
What size are they and are they on aftermarket rims?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If those tires have been in there for a while ..

i would have to think that when you turn the steering wheel full left or right, they will touch the new inner fender too

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't see half the tire, yet you guys have already deduced they're wider and 2 sizes taller then stock? Good grief.

OP
OP
Y

yellowblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 1500 Classic
Engine
V6
This is what the setup on mine is like (note:this is from the dealer’s site so not my actual truck, but same setup). These are how the Classic Express Night Editions come - at least here in Canada.

70624575-28B9-497F-AE1B-F93218CA6746.jpegEFFB449C-AF21-41EB-88B0-878F6F3809CE.jpeg

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
In the images, it looks like you have rubbed the Inner Fenders a bit.

May i suggest that if you own a Heat Gun, heat up the plastic of the inner fender & use something like a short piece of wood to shape the plastic.

Another thing that you could do, might be dangerous to your health
You could use a Hair Dryer, just don't get caught
"Another thing that you could do, might be dangerous to your health
You could use a Hair Dryer, just don't get caught"

I am presuming that by "Hair Dryer" you mean his Wife's?
And, by "dangerous" and "don't get caught" - you are again referring to his Wife?

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I don't know if you have the air suspension or not - but you may have the same problem I did (with or without the air suspension).

On my Rebel, I started to notice a grinding sound when in Entry/Exit level and executing a turn (almost always to the left). Several trips to the dealer did not result in any solution. After the last trip, I turned right around before I left the lot as they did not resolve the issue (I was HOT). I got lucky enough that one tech jumped underneath the truck right then and there. He diagnosed it as the wheel well liner bending out. My tire would grind against it when the truck was lowered and turning. He bent it back into place (no heat gun or anything). It has mostly stayed back in place every since (3+ years now). On the rare occasions it does seem to come back down, I simply go back in and bend it back up.

I imagine a heat gun would likely let me do a better job of this (not sure why I never thought of that before, duh!). I expect that is your problem and likely all you will need to do to resolve it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If its under warranty, let them mess with it for a while, should be easy to see where its rubbing.
A good heat gun fixes plastic problems, heat tie back till its cooled off, Farmers just use wire to fix stuff, or a hammer. I have seen hammer fix warranty problems as well. No, not on the tec's