When is a tune needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob Maguire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 - Upgraded to Carven Progressive muffler (thx Nick@gotexhaust) and am considering a CAI. Is a tune needed? At what point is it needed? Generally speaking, is a tune to basically to keep fuel maps, sensor thresholds, etc.. all working with one another? Curious about this topic and know next to nothing. Looking forward to any info members can provide. Thank you!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you start to add modifications to your truck, the more mod's you add the greater need for a tune so your truck will run at it's peak performance. It is always better to get a custom tune so the tune can be tailored to the exact mod's on your truck. Yours appears to be a 15 so in addition to the tuner you will need to purchase an unlocked PCM also. For only a change in muffler and a different CAI a tuner would not be critical. Keep in mind that the stock CAI does a pretty good job and the only 2 CAI's that have a documented increase in performance at the track are the Vararam and the Custom Track CAI made by Moe's Performance.
Jay

OP
OP
Jacob Maguire

Jacob Maguire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Jay,
Thanks for the informative response. I did go through the other recently added CAI thread and after reading agree regarding the mild-at-best CAI performance increase. Appreciate the tuning information greatly.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Really the only time u need a tune is headers or forced induction. Now from what I have seen the tune for a stock ram really does not seem to do that much now add headers then you are talking a difference. I will say this I had a full bolt on Titian (LTs, HF cats, cat back, cai) with a custom tune and once I was honest with myself it was not that much better than before I had- a hyper tech can tune, cai and cat back. My point is you never get the type of long lasting wow unless you go cammed with full bolt on or forced induction.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's my honest opinion.

Yes a tuner is not needed with your mods as others have stated. The stock computer does a good job at auto adjusting.

BUT!! I have a 2015 8spd and the very first mod I did was a pcm swap and a Jay Greene ecm and tcm 93 octane tune. And I can say that it is one HELL of a difference. Even stock.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Here's my honest opinion.

Yes a tuner is not needed with your mods as others have stated. The stock computer does a good job at auto adjusting.

BUT!! I have a 2015 8spd and the very first mod I did was a pcm swap and a Jay Greene ecm and tcm 93 octane tune. And I can say that it is one HELL of a difference. Even stock.
Ok that’s great- I have a 18 3.92 hemi maybe I’ll try that. Thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
Jacob Maguire

Jacob Maguire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Thank you both. Excellent responses and information. Y’all may have guided me in a header direction. Truck is nearing 90k and like most, I am expecting manifold/bolt issues. Maybe “get ahead of the weather” on that one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you both. Excellent responses and information. Y’all may have guided me in a header direction. Truck is nearing 90k and like most, I am expecting manifold/bolt issues. Maybe “get ahead of the weather” on that one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great route! Post pics when complete! Just keep in mind long tube headers, from what I read and hear all the time, do basically require a custom tune with data logging to get the full power of them.

Not so much shorties but of course not as much power.

But hey a custom tune in its own would add some good power:)

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
First performance improvement on these trucks from purchase should be a custom tune. Your remote tuner will make revisions for every bolt-on or power-adder to maximize your gains and is hands down the best bang for your buck modification. Especially with the ZF8hp

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Similar to above, and what I believe are the best 3 in order:

1. Tune) If you could only do one mod, custom tune is best bang for buck and performance upgrade. Factory programming makes for a sleepy 400hp engine. Tune wakes up the 400 ponies and just makes it more drivable/enjoyable

2. Electric fan) It's free, it's easy to do and improves throttle response. Do a 190 or lower thermostat in conjunction with an E-fan.

3. Headers) Expensive but big gains when combined with a custom tune. I think it's worth it if you can do the work yourself. If you are miserly and not wanting to do the work yourself, I think you will be happy with just 1 and 2.

Good maintenance Mods and somewhat subjective and can be researched on this forum:

1. Catch can) don't need anything to fancy or expensive

2. Use the bigger oil filter from the hydraulic power steering trucks.

3. High quality oil to minimize or eliminate valve train noise/tick

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Similar to above, and what I believe are the best 3 in order:

1. Tune) If you could only do one mod, custom tune is best bang for buck and performance upgrade. Factory programming makes for a sleepy 400hp engine. Tune wakes up the 400 ponies and just makes it more drivable/enjoyable

2. Electric fan) It's free, it's easy to do and improves throttle response. Do a 190 or lower thermostat in conjunction with an E-fan.

3. Headers) Expensive but big gains when combined with a custom tune. I think it's worth it if you can do the work yourself. If you are miserly and not wanting to do the work yourself, I think you will be happy with just 1 and 2.

Good maintenance Mods and somewhat subjective and can be researched on this forum:

1. Catch can) don't need anything to fancy or expensive

2. Use the bigger oil filter from the hydraulic power steering trucks.

3. High quality oil to minimize or eliminate valve train noise/tick

What is this free electric fan mod you speak of?

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is this free electric fan mod you speak of?

Quite common, google "ram 1500 efan conversion"

Sure 2 options:

1. Remove your clutch fan and rely on just your stock AC fan, just make sure to retain the fan shroud.

2. Or remove both the clutch fan and AC fan along with shroud and replace with the 3.7 V6 efan. 2012 and earlier

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-621-410

I did number 1 for about a year but without the shroud, then did number 2. The shroud helps keep the fan off less and number 2 gives you cleaner look in the engine bay.

I also switched to a 190 T-stat from the factory 204, will need a tuner or a tune to make the change.

Definitely makes a difference in engine response, engine revs up faster, less lag. Cools just fine and I say better with a lower T-stat. Less fluctuation in oil and water temp.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Agreed with tune being best bang for the buck, especially if that's where you end up stopping. Any major engine mods usually require a tune. But tuning on top of TB & CAI or other simple mods will help those even further.

Back when all I had was just a tune, I got one friend jealous of my truck & he pretty much got a new one because of me. He's itching to get more out of his. Got another friend with a supercharged tundra, & mine would give him a legit run for his money.

Do it. Outside of good oil, it'll be the best money to dump into the truck