Who to trust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lecope1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an (ABS) error code. Tire Plus said I needed new ABS module. I talked to the service manager at dodge dealer he said that it can be the abs module or the wheel sensors. Tire Plus put on 4 new wheel sensor December 2023. The dodge dealer needs to keep my truck for 2 days, tire place kept it for 40 minutes it was the module. Anyone else had this problem?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dealers lots of times have trouble with speaking the truth . They lie , or just do not know what they are doing. Try another dealer ,you may get lucky and find a decent one, probably not,but there are a few.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You never gave the dealer a chance to troubleshoot it, they are not going to just go on tire plus's recommendation and swap a part (nor does the dealer know the history of the vehicle, and no they are not going to take your word on it). As far as keeping it, most all dealers are backed up so they need a day or 2 to get to it. Not defending them but that's the reality of the situation.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
most all dealers are backed up so they need a day or 2 to get to it.
And they are backed up with all the problems the tire store assclowns couldn't diagnose properly. Go to a dealer....there you will find one or two top-of-the-class techs, a bunch of lesser trained techs, some parts installers, and the oil change monkeys. The last two categories is all you will find at a tire store.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another pearl of wisdom from my own learning experience is try Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep dealers not just the local Ram dealer. Many times my local Chrysler/Jeep dealer can see me in a day while the Ram dealer is never a straight answer. Most Stellantis techs are trained across the various platforms whether it’s a Ram or a minivan.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Another pearl of wisdom from my own learning experience is try Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep dealers not just the local Ram dealer. Many times my local Chrysler/Jeep dealer can see me in a day while the Ram dealer is never a straight answer. Most Stellantis techs are trained across the various platforms whether it’s a Ram or a minivan.
I can't say I've ever seen a Ram only dealership. Any dealership I've ever been to or seen websites that sold Ram trucks were CDJR dealerships. Not calling you out in any way, just saying it's interesting to hear those are out there.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
found out recently that many dealers (here in southern kentucky) don't even do body work any more. They recommend a few local shops.

nice thing about dealers is they do have trained mechanics but they also have state of the art computers that can easily and in depth, diagnose your vehicle. Other places can't afford those kinds of computers

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
found out recently that many dealers (here in southern kentucky) don't even do body work any more. They recommend a few local shops.

nice thing about dealers is they do have trained mechanics but they also have state of the art computers that can easily and in depth, diagnose your vehicle. Other places can't afford those kinds of computers
I'd say that common for dealerships across the country, not just those in S. Kentucky. It's been that way here for years. Same for tire and glass needs. Just one more of the many reasons it takes so long to have work done at a dealership.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't say I've ever seen a Ram only dealership. Any dealership I've ever been to or seen websites that sold Ram trucks were CDJR dealerships. Not calling you out in any way, just saying it's interesting to hear those are out there.

While the dealership auto group in total may be a CDJR there are stand alone Jeep showrooms and stand alone Ram showrooms with service departments. We have them right here in SE Virginia and it’s not podunk. I’ve never seen a stand alone Chrysler dealer in the 21st century. I personally use Southern CDJR in Virginia. They have a Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer showroom and service department and a mile down the same road they have a stand alone Ram truck showroom and service department. While they are owned by the same company they both have their own service departments. My point was we can usually take our trucks to any CDJR dealership whether they sell Ram trucks or not. One could possibly get a service appointment at a Chrysler/Dodge dealer faster than the Ram/Jeep dealer down the road even though they are all part of the same company.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
While the dealership auto group in total may be a CDJR there are stand alone Jeep showrooms and stand alone Ram showrooms with service departments. We have them right here in SE Virginia and it’s not podunk. I’ve never seen a stand alone Chrysler dealer in the 21st century. I personally use Southern CDJR in Virginia. They have a Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer showroom and service department and a mile down the same road they have a stand alone Ram truck showroom and service department. While they are owned by the same company they both have their own service departments. My point was we can usually take our trucks to any CDJR dealership whether they sell Ram trucks or not. One could possibly get a service appointment at a Chrysler/Dodge dealer faster than the Ram/Jeep dealer down the road even though they are all part of the same company.
I don't think your intent was lost on anyone. It's just something that to me was obvious since I wasn't aware of the different showrooms. I do live in a podunk area so maybe that's why we don't have them here. :cheers:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think your intent was lost on anyone. It's just something that to me was obvious since I wasn't aware of the different showrooms. I do live in a podunk area so maybe that's why we don't have them here. :cheers:

I’ll trade localities with you! I’m tired of the metro areas. I’ll take the open country any day. I can’t wait to move to podunk.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I’ll trade localities with you! I’m tired of the metro areas. I’ll take the open country any day. I can’t wait to move to podunk.
No sir, not interested in a trade. But I'm retiring at the end of the year and plan to move to an even more podunk area. So my house will be for sale if you're interested. :hahano:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
As long as you’re not in NY, NJ, CA or MN I might be interested lol
You'll probably add this state to your list when I say I currently live in WA. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll probably add this state to your list when I say I currently live in WA. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LOL it’s been a decade since I was in WA but we did enjoy Seattle as tourists. Really loved the summer evening weather at a Mariners game. We technically stayed in Port Townsend which we loved. The Olympic peninsula was absolutely spectacular. I’ve heard anywhere but Seattle and Tacoma are great places to live in WA. I can only imagine Washington is a state much like Virginia in that the state is governed by the population centers of a few but powerful cities. In Virginia we have Northern Virginia affectionately known as NOVA which is all the smallish cities and towns that are suburbs to Washington DC. They have the greatest voting clout in the state so whatever they want goes. I live in the Norfolk area and while we are the second largest voting center our 1.7 million people can’t hold a candle to NOVA’s 3-4 million. The rest of the state is invisible in elections. The best of luck to you and congratulations on your pending retirement.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
LOL it’s been a decade since I was in WA but we did enjoy Seattle as tourists. Really loved the summer evening weather at a Mariners game. We technically stayed in Port Townsend which we loved. The Olympic peninsula was absolutely spectacular. I’ve heard anywhere but Seattle and Tacoma are great places to live in WA. I can only imagine Washington is a state much like Virginia in that the state is governed by the population centers of a few but powerful cities. In Virginia we have Northern Virginia affectionately known as NOVA which is all the smallish cities and towns that are suburbs to Washington DC. They have the greatest voting clout in the state so whatever they want goes. I live in the Norfolk area and while we are the second largest voting center our 1.7 million people can’t hold a candle to NOVA’s 3-4 million. The rest of the state is invisible in elections. The best of luck to you and congratulations on your pending retirement.
Thanks, we're both retiring and excited to move on with life after work.

You nailed it. It's got a lot of beautiful areas but WA is governed by the West side of the state, primarily King county. Before covid we used to go to Mariner and Seahawk games quite a bit. But we haven't been to one since 2019 because of...well lets just say the area has changed. Now we stay on our side of the state LOL.

Snapper 60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Trust Autel, go and buy a Autel Diagnostics tablet and you can run tests on various modules on your Ram or any other vehicle except Ford they have their own thing. Your 2014 has no Secure Gateway Module so you'll be sweet and you'll know just what is wrong. Autel have a range of Diagnostic Tablets and you can view which one would best suit your needs.

Meet a couple with no rear camera on their Ram 2500 a 2022 model the Autoshop said just fit a new system it's too expensive to repair, I got out my Autel Tablet and removed the dash cover (central) and guess what I found it! the video jack had fallen out of the unit just plugged it back in. They were quoted $600 AUD to fit & Install a camera they bought for $280 from an Accessories shop. That couple save $880 because I had that Tablet, never mind it wasn't used the thing is because I had it you looked and found the problem something Shops don't do.