Why the two blinker arm positions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why is there two blinker arm positions. One is to flash the headlights . What is the other one for ?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
No . One function is to FLASH your lights. But it has two positions
Right. Typically, pulling back on the stalk flashes your high beams, pushing it forward activates the high beams and leaves them on.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
um?
Position 1 is pull back to flash High Beams
Position 2 is push forward to turn the High Beams On
Other than that the stalk goes Up/Down (right/left) for the turn signals, which also you can just "bump" momentarily and the corresponding turn signal flash several times to indicate a lane change. (You did know about turn signals? A lot of people have no clue about them)
If yours does something else not sure what it could be

Jim M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
One more consideration is that when lights are set to Auto pushing forward enables summation high beams and pulling back keeps low beams on. As usual pulling back again flashes the high. At least that's on a 2020 Limited.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
One more consideration is that when lights are set to Auto pushing forward enables summation high beams and pulling back keeps low beams on. As usual pulling back again flashes the high. At least that's on a 2020 Limited.
This is only if you have auto hibeam. And enable in the touchscreen. But yes. True. If you turn off the autohigh on the touch screen it works like "normal". Forward = high, middle low, pull back = flash or hold, but it will only hold for a few seconds.

I use them for "flash to pass" for people camping in the left lane instead of the state parks.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use them for "flash to pass" for people camping in the left lane instead of the state parks.

This drives me crazy! Most everywhere I go on trips I end up having to pass 5-10 people at a time on the right and then squeeze in past the leader at the front once I run out of room. Almost always get flipped off by the leader, cause I'm the bad guy! Or I'm the guy that's not going to wait all day behind a bunch of campers, adding lots of unnecessary time to our travels.

I wish the high beam thing worked around this area, sometimes it has worked but most times people get aggravated by it (too stupid to understand what's going on I'm guessing) and then that can turn into more "fun" so I've just gone to blowing by people on the right without paying them any mind. They flip me off, I just continue on my way.

Lol sorry for the slight rant, only been driving for 19 years but have been dealing with this ******* behavior the entire time! I knew the passing lane rule/theory long before I started driving so I have no tolerance for people who don't understand this or refuse to practice it.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Left lane riders are an absolute pain. Track that back to lots of misinformation and bad education about what the left lane is for.......passing others than are moving more slowly than you.