Window tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently bought a truck with factory tint but evidently the previous owner had another tint put on the windows making it too dark. I found out the hard way about it.
Joe do I go about removing the extra tint without damaging anything?
Is the factory tint built into the window?

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
spray the tint with soapy water...use a little dawn dish soap. That way as you carefully peel the tint, it will help remove the adhesive with it. That will make it easier to clean them windows off.

Factory tint is only 20%..the legal limit. I had my drivers side and passenger side tinted 20% as well, and the shop matched the color to the factory tinted windows.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
The factory tint is just color and has no properties other that that. There will be some heat rejection (and eye comfort) due to the darkness but there is no UV or IR blockage.

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
spray the tint with soapy water...use a little dawn dish soap. That way as you carefully peel the tint, it will help remove the adhesive with it. That will make it easier to clean them windows off.

Factory tint is only 20%..the legal limit. I had my drivers side and passenger side tinted 20% as well, and the shop matched the color to the factory tinted windows.

The factory tint is just color and has no properties other that that. There will be some heat rejection (and eye comfort) due to the darkness but there is no UV or IR blockage.

These two contradict each other. I would think 20% sounds correct? Never heard of any MFG just changing the color without blocking some level of UV light.

I'd like to tint the front roll up windows to match. Even though it's illegal in CA. I've gotten fix-it tickets in the past, but that was probably 30 years ago.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
These two contradict each other. I would think 20% sounds correct? Never heard of any MFG just changing the color without blocking some level of UV light.

I'd like to tint the front roll up windows to match. Even though it's illegal in CA. I've gotten fix-it tickets in the past, but that was probably 30 years ago.
any tint shop will tell you factory tint is only 20%. the glass factory puts the tint inside of the glass. when i had my truck done, we looked at several shades of tint to get the best match. i went with a "ceramic" tint at 20%. it's been 4 years now and i have zero problems with it.

as i said before...i only had to do the drivers window and passenger window...and it does block the sun's uv and heat.

brian42

Military
Reaction score

I do stand corrected in that UVB rays cannot penetrate glass at all, so it does protect against that because it's glass. I'll also amend my statement about IR - since it is darker it will attenuate some heat (IR) to the cab.

The rear windows are ~20%. It is "privacy glass" and is just pigmented glass so won't do much more than stated above.

I have had fix-it tickets in the past (also 30 years ago) for my Toyota Pickup that I bought in Florida with 10% on all side windows. That did not go over well in CA in 1995.

Nowadays everybody is running around with super dark tint on all the windows; so much so you can't see inside of a lot cars during the day...even through the windshield.

My '19 was one of the poor A/C performance trucks so went the tint route to help with the heat: 70% on the windshield, 50% on the front doors, and 70% on all the rear ones (to block out as many rays as I could). Made a big difference and never got a second look from Johnny Law.

Yes it's against the CA vehicle code (specifically only the top 4" of the windshield can be tinted and the front doors cannot be any darker than 70%) but I'm not too far off, especially compared to most on the road and it did not impair my vision at night.

Last edited:

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '94 came from another state that has more liberal tint rules than the state I live in, so it has very dark windows.

My inspection is due every March. For the 17 years I've owned it, I wait for a warm sunny day, and pull in the shop with the windows down. Tint does get checked during inspection in this state, but not if they don't see it.

Never been asked to roll them up yet.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine

i think the confusion stems from the fact that you said the windows are tinted over factory tint. You can still remove the added on tint with soapy water without harm to the factory tint.

i've helped my son tint quite a few windows in the past including house windows.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
even here in south kentucky the cops have window tint....20% on the front sides. 20% is the legal limit.

i've had darker tint on rear windows and it really makes it hard to see at night backing up.

Last edited:

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
even here in south kentucky the cops have window tint....20% on the front sides. 20% is the legal limit.

i've had darker tint on rear windows and it really males it hard to see at night backing up.

When I was 16, I put 5% on the front sides. Almost killed someone in a crosswalk at night. Got a fixit ticket shortly after and did lighter up front, probably 50% IIRC. Don't think I'd even want 20% up front.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
i think the confusion stems from the fact that you said the windows are tinted over factory tint. You can still remove the added on tint with soapy water without harm to the factory tint.

i've helped my son tint quite a few windows in the past including house windows.
The “factory tint” can’t be removed because it’s dyed glass and not film. The only way to remove it is to replace the glass with clear.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
We had the dealers add front glass tint to my 23 RAM and my wife’s 20 Lexus RX350 when we bought them. They matched the side, rear windows so I guess that’s around 20%. It makes for a far more comfortable ride in any sunny or hot weather which we have plenty of.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
We had the dealers add front glass tint to my 23 RAM and my wife’s 20 Lexus RX350 when we bought them. They matched the side, rear windows so I guess that’s around 20%. It makes for a far more comfortable ride in any sunny or hot weather which we have plenty of.
nice of them to do that. some dealers refuse to tint windows. I agree tho, it makes a big difference with that sun beating on you

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I had X-Pel ceramic 20% put all around and then 70% on the front windshield of my new Warlock.
The fronts at 20% are nice and still allow visibility without being too dark.

First time ever having the front windshield done, and now that I have it and feel the benefits of it, I'll neve go back to a bare front windshield. It was installed perfectly so there are no visible edges on the whole one-piece installation, it looks like nothing is on the front glass at all.

G/T jonny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
To clarify, the shade expressed in % is how much light is permitted through the Tint film. Any and all tint films will block over 99% of UV rays (protecting your skin and upholstery.)
A 70% film added to your factory glass is barely perceivable, but has the benefits of blocking UV and bonding the glass together in case it should break.
50% film adds a light tint, 35% gets into the privacy range and 20% is similar to factory side and rear windows on the RAM.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The state of Texas requires the tint to be no darker than 25% on the windshield and the side windows to the left and right of the driver. There are no restrictions for behind the driver.
I found out if you use a steamer, even a clothes steamer and heat the window with it and then gently pull the tint the glue stays on the tint and then there is nothing left to clean off of the window. The trick is to go slow pulling the tint off. If you rush the process you will leave adhesive behind.

Last edited:

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The state of Texas requires the tiny to be no darker than 25% on the windshield and the side windows to the left and right of the driver. There are no restrictions for behind the driver.
I found out if you use a steamer, even a clothes steamer and heat the window with it and then gently pull the tint the glue stays on the tint and then there is nothing left to clean off of the window. The trick is to go slow pulling the tint off. If you rush the process you will leave adhesive behind.
In Texas, no tint on the windshield below the AS-1 is legal. Above the AS-1 no darker than 25%.