Wish the 4th gens could have better spark plugs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
About that time to bite the bullet and get the plugs rotated out, at 59,600 miles. Luckily my local dealership honors the mopar coupons and gives veteran discount. I know I could do it myself but being I have an aftermarket warranty it is encouraged I have a "pro" do it. Plus I am a computer guy not a mechanic. Anyone else wish we had the 100k mile spark plugs? Think they are called iridium spark plug.

OP
OP
Craw

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
1 year ?! Damn lol. Sigh.... They said 358 without the coupon and veteran discount so...

$323 with 10% off and $288 with Veteran Discount. So $288. I know plugs only cost what like 80 bucks. But 1 I am lazy, 2 Mechanically ******** and 3 under aftermarket warranty. I cant complain last year they gave me an oil change and installed my in cabin filter mod for like 100 bucks WELL under what I was expecting. Also at another dealership I got away with murder with the OEM back up camera only costing me $414 heheh

OP
OP
Craw

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I am wondering if my MPG will go up, I use to get 12 city now I get 9.6 lol. Could be its also different gas in winter but unsure. I bought the truck with 37,000 so have been nervous about the plugs for some time.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just plunk the Iridiums in your pre-14. NGKs are $5.49 at Advance Auto Partes. Coil packs are the same, so no problem putting Iridiums in where your OEMs were copper. HEMI spark plug change is well documented here and on other HEMI related forums. You'll wear out a set of elbows taking out 16 coil-pack bolts and 16 plugs, and putting them back in. But with the correct tools, correct lubricant (both PB Blaster for the plugs and Molson Canadian for the taste buds), It's a couple hour job at most (and that includes trips to the fridge for cold beer and to the john for....well the other half of that process).

I replaced the coppers with iridiums on my '13 Challenger at 65K (more than twice the recommended interval), and even though it was running great on the old plugs, the difference with the new NGK iridiums was immediately noticeable. Even picked up 1.5 MPG without even trying.

Even with the purchase of a new torque wrench, and a can of PB Blaster...including the case of beer, I got away with under $150 on this.

OP
OP
Craw

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have heard people switching to iridium but maybe I am too trusting in dealers. I have called dealers from all over the country and they say the same thing about there may be no issues but it isn't recommended. Until I get out of this warranty I paid for which is at 97,000 miles I kinda have to follow the rules or it is voided sadly. I have a Torque wrench already for when I rotate tires but for some reason the idea of fiddling with the spark plugs makes me worried as it is my only vehicle. If this damn thing was a giant computer no problem! I need to make friends with a Ram Mechanic and fix all his Computer/Network problems as a trade lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just plunk the Iridiums in your pre-14. NGKs are $5.49 at Advance Auto Partes. Coil packs are the same, so no problem putting Iridiums in where your OEMs were copper. HEMI spark plug change is well documented here and on other HEMI related forums. You'll wear out a set of elbows taking out 16 coil-pack bolts and 16 plugs, and putting them back in. But with the correct tools, correct lubricant (both PB Blaster for the plugs and Molson Canadian for the taste buds), It's a couple hour job at most (and that includes trips to the fridge for cold beer and to the john for....well the other half of that process).

I replaced the coppers with iridiums on my '13 Challenger at 65K (more than twice the recommended interval), and even though it was running great on the old plugs, the difference with the new NGK iridiums was immediately noticeable. Even picked up 1.5 MPG without even trying.

Even with the purchase of a new torque wrench, and a can of PB Blaster...including the case of beer, I got away with under $150 on this.

Coil packs changed when they went to Irridium plugs,they got more windings and current output to fire the Irridiums.If you buy a new coilpack now,you get the upgraded version,but the original coils in his truck are probably the older lower output coils.They'll still fire the plugs,but are a little more prone to a misfire once the plugs get some miles on them.If you're not changing the coilpacks,tighten the gap up slightly if you switch to Irridiums in a truck originally equipped with copper plugs .Smaller plug gap is easier to get a spark across.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your computer skills may be good trading material--it never hurts to ask a couple of the tech's. As I always say, "Always give people the opportunity to say no". You have already almost doubled the mileage at which the plugs were suppose to be changed at, so it's apparent that proper maintenance is not your strong suit.
Jay

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes I wish I had the 100k mile plugs, but if you do your plug change the first time and put some anti seize on the threads, dielectric on the booty, it will be an easier job the next time. They say 30k, but a lot of guys take them off at 30k and they are still in good shape. Depends where you live and maybe stuff like what gas you use. If you change your own, you can kinda gauge of you need them changed at 30k or not. The problem I see is you didn't ask for the old plugs? That way you can see what shape they are in, plus verify they actually changed them, sorry I don't trust anyone after a shop charged me for a back brake job and didn't do it at all, I found out because I had another issue with the work so I had everything inspected. Sued and won, but that shop was a bunch of crooks. Also, if you do it yourself you can put each plug in a different cup or mark them. You can see if any carbon issues and what cylinder that came from. Plugs tell a story if you listen.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I wish I had the 100k mile plugs, but if you do your plug change the first time and put some anti seize on the threads, dielectric on the booty, it will be an easier job the next time. They say 30k, but a lot of guys take them off at 30k and they are still in good shape. Depends where you live and maybe stuff like what gas you use. If you change your own, you can kinda gauge of you need them changed at 30k or not. The problem I see is you didn't ask for the old plugs? That way you can see what shape they are in, plus verify they actually changed them, sorry I don't trust anyone after a shop charged me for a back brake job and didn't do it at all, I found out because I had another issue with the work so I had everything inspected. Sued and won, but that shop was a bunch of crooks. Also, if you do it yourself you can put each plug in a different cup or mark them. You can see if any carbon issues and what cylinder that came from. Plugs tell a story if you listen.
Dielectric on the booty? [emoji848] I'll have to ask her about that one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
probably work for that too

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swapped out my 2009 coils for 2014 ones and iridium plugs too. Working well so far :)

2009 QCRB 4WD - 4.56/Shorties/FMTB/Intake/Exhaust/6” on 35’s/lots more [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I just replaced the coils on my 11 with the 15 coils at 100k. Next is iridium plugs . Im at 106k miles and due for the 4th plug change at 120k. Ngk will be the plug. Anyone have a great part number for the iridium plug? I'm looking at NGK 92145.

Don Shilling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 345 ci
The plugs in my '09 Hemi were working fine, 22-23 mpg flat ground, but I changed them anyway at 100,000 along with the first brake pads.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've done a bit of looking into this. For the pre 2012 there is an oe iridium plug for the police package that is compatible with the factory coils and a 100,000 mile plug. Made by ngk. The mopar number I got was discontinued, but rock auto has the ngk 92145 listed as an oe replacement extended interval 100,000 mile plug for my 2011.

Last edited:

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done a bit of looking into this. For the pre 2012 there is an oe iridium plug for the police package that is compatible with the factory coils and a 100,000 mile plug. Made by ngk. The mopar number I got was discontinued, but rock auto has the ngk 92145 listed as an oe replacement extended interval 100,000 mile plug for my 2011.

Whats the plug number Rock auto has several. Are you guys using the Mopar coil packs when you change them? Mopar # 68238603AA

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Whats the plug number Rock auto has several. Are you guys using the Mopar coil packs when you change them? Mopar # 68238603AA
I haven't changed them, but they're due so I plan on it. Have no intention of changing the coil pack since its listed as oe replacement pre gapped at .044. NGK 92145

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BWL, is that is great info to know. I'm going to write that part number down, and store it in the truck.

I'm at 44,*** miles on my '11 right now. As long as it runs as good as it does now, and my MPG doesn't go down, I don't see a need to change them .

Like Don, my old '99 Dakota went 100,000 on the original plugs and pads.

Just thinking out loud, so to speak. But I wonder if a catch can helps plug longevity.

Last edited: