2006 1500 SLT Information Regarding Adding Fog Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MuddyJeep810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all. New here. Just purchased my first Dodge Ram over the weekend. It is a 2006 1500 SLT crew cab 4x4. I am interested in adding fog lights to my truck. I currently have the angled 'filler' bezel in the fog light location in my bumper. I found the factory wire harness on the drivers side that the factory fog light pig tail would plug into. I have read that the 2006+ needs to be programmed by a dealer to enable the fog light feature. I also read in my truck manual that if my truck were equipped with fog lights it would have a headlight switch that can be pushed in to turn the fogs on. I do not have that switch. My existing headlight switch only rotates, it does not push in, pull out, or indicate fog lights whatsoever on it. With that being said, when I turn my headlights or parking lights on the fog light on indicator symbol in the instrument cluster illuminates. This light goes out when I turn on my high beams.

I have a few questions for you guys.... It is my understanding that I need the pigtail to connect the factory harness to both fogs, fog lights with brackets (left and right), and I am presuming the bezel without the angled filler pieces to complete the installation up front. Is this correct?

Also, do I still need the headlight switch that has the fog light on/off capability to use my fog lights or does the fact that the indicator on the dash evidence enough that my current headlight switch will work just fine (assuming I never want to shut them off when the headlights or parking lights are on)?

Finally, seeing as the dash fog light indicator turns on and off as if fog lights are already connected does this mean I may be able to connect the fog lights and they will work without a dealer flashing the code into the computer?

Thanks in advance! I am really loving this truck so far!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not sure why the dash light is illuminating; it shouldn't even be getting power without that switch. At any rate, NORMALLY lol, you would need the harness, switch and to have the fog lights enabled by a dealer computer. Try the harness and switch first, if it works you're golden. If not then you need a Starscan (or equivalent) to enable them.

OP
OP
M

MuddyJeep810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking the same thing. I'm wondering if maybe the truck was originally equipped with fogs and maybe they swapped the front end out for a non fog version? It's strange to me that the dash light is on but the truck doesn't have the correct switch. I should be able to hook a test light up to it to see if the factory harness is getting power now. Is one wire power and the other wire ground?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You'll need the switch with the foglight function for it all to work. The indicator is there, of course, as there's no real reason to build different instrument clusters with and without it.

What makes it work is the switch to complete the power circuit and the code flash to tell the BCM the truck has foglights.

Your other assumptions are correct with respects to the parts needed.

OP
OP
M

MuddyJeep810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll need the switch with the foglight function for it all to work. The indicator is there, of course, as there's no real reason to build different instrument clusters with and without it.

What makes it work is the switch to complete the power circuit and the code flash to tell the BCM the truck has foglights.

Your other assumptions are correct with respects to the parts needed.

Is it normal for the instrument cluster fog light indicator to function as if the truck were equipped with fog lights? It seems to me that prior to enabling the fog light circuit in the BCM this light would not function.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't know why it would light up if there are no fog lights installed, no switch to turn them on and nothing connected to the harness.

I see you mentioned it as being in the cluster (they all have it) but I didn't see you mention it was or had lit up in your first post.

Maybe it's bleed through from some other portion of the cluster.

Is it lit up all the time?

OP
OP
M

MuddyJeep810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know why it would light up if there are no fog lights installed, no switch to turn them on and nothing connected to the harness.

I see you mentioned it as being in the cluster (they all have it) but I didn't see you mention it was or had lit up in your first post.

Maybe it's bleed through from some other portion of the cluster.

Is it lit up all the time?

No. It only lights up when I turn my parking lights or headlights on. It switches off when I switch to high beams. It functions exactly like a truck that is equipped and programmed to have fog lights. It boggles me how this is possible with a headlight switch that doesn't have the push/pull on/off fog light functionality like I read about in the owners manual. I looked up my Vin number on the Vin search website and there isn't anything listed about a factory fog light package.

OP
OP
M

MuddyJeep810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just an update for anybody with a similar situation, that wants to add fog lights to their truck...

I purchased a new or used (can't remember) headlight switch with the fog light push function and swapped it in to my truck. I then went to the junk yard and picked up a set of stock fog lamps.

Once installed they worked like a charm, except weirdly enough they never shut off when I turned on my high beams. I wasn't upset with that though.