After tranny fluid change, how long until it’s mixed up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRB357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just dropped the pan and replaced the filters on a 16 2500 5.7 4x4 187k. Old fluid pretty dark. I would like to get as much of that old fluid out. How many miles until I drain and refill? I have a fluid extractor that goes down the dip stick that makes it super easy. My truck is shifting better since I swapped out 7qts of old with new. Used the Wix filter w/ a metal thread fitting. Thanks for that info forum! Figured getting more old out and fresh fluid in it could get better. Not as smooth as I would like. Clunky on downshift to 2nd when coming to stop at red lights.

Oh and there was a screw laying in my drain pan. It was from valve body and I found it’s home. Any chance that would cause P0934 or P0868? I cleared code after the fluid/filters change and they have come back after 100+ miles.‍♂️IMG_4912.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CRB357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hahaha, I drove to Autozone to get a gallon of Valvoline ATF+4 and CEL is on. P0934

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably 2 minutes ...if that. Give it 3 ...for good measure :)

Fluid flow through a tranny is real fast. It takes about 16-20 seconds with the engine at idle to flush all the old fluid out of the torque converter. I've done it many times on a variety of vehicles over the years doing a fluid change/flush. So if it takes 20 seconds at the long end of the estimate to flush 4-5qts out of the torque converter, ...that would constitute ~3 cycles in one minute. So in a couple minutes it ought to be fully 'mixed'.

You might have to have it fully warmed for flow through the radiator (??). But there isn't more than a couple cups of fluid in the radiator.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh and there was a screw laying in my drain pan. It was from valve body and I found it’s home.

Good man (on putting the bolt back). If you took it to a shop for a trans fluid change, they'd put that bolt in their pan of shavings and try to convince you your transmission was shot (been there!).

After you cleared the codes (again)...do they still persist? Is there a tans fluid bypass valve on your trans cooling line/s? (#2 in link below). Have you checked that? If not, do a search for other posts ...it's been a source of problems on Rams. Could be the sensors (or wire connectors) are getting flaky. Is the engine running the 'right' temp? If those other things are good, you might have a trans shop, dealer (or do it yourself per the service manual) check pressures on it. It could be something got lodge between the valve body and plate leaking a bit of fluid. Just thinking out loud here. Does it seem to shift ok?

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The way some people (not me of course!) get all the fluid out after a change is 1) Do the filter/oil change per normal. 2) Add in about 1.5 extra qts, 3) remove fluid line at radiator. 4) Put (new) clear vinyl hose from feed line into white bucket (so you can see the fluid color). Have helper start vehicle and watch fluid fluid color. 5) You might need to shut off after 10-12 seconds and add in 2 qts of fluid (have fluid and funnel ready to do it quickly). 6) restart vehicle and have helper shut off when fluid transistions from muddy to 'clear' new fluid. The whole process goes quick...like less than 20 seconds. Never run 'dry'. It's not a job for a dufus or newbie to attempt. 7) Then top off as per normal.

Of course, I am not advocating this...just reporting what I've read others have done....

OP
OP
C

CRB357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info. I figured it would mix quick but had no idea.

So I pulled 3 more qts out yesterday then refilled w/ 3 qts. I drove about 5 miles to dealer to get a pressure sensor so I could swap it out. When I started up truck at dealer, the CEL P0934 was gone. I drove about 250 miles today pulling boat to go fishing. Still no CEL‍♂️. Tranny seems to be a little better after swapping 3 more qts. I have the new sensor in glove box. That downshift to 2nd or 1st is still kind of clanky when coming to a stop. I’ll pull another 3 qts out next week. Fluid is getting cleaner with each swap. So far that is 10 qts that have been removed and replaced with fresh stuff.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
See how it goes with the new fluid. Maybe you're making some progress.

If it persists, you might have the dealership look at it, or a tranny shop. Shift Solenoid flake-out is not uncommon. Or there could be another issue as mentioned above that can be resolved. Make sure there aren't any engine codes present.
:waytogo:

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sea foam. Makes one for transmissions. Worked pretty good for me. Just add it and drive it. DO NOT use regular sea foam. Will cook clutch’s. I used it on a low mile ford Aod that sat for a while & wouldn’t hit OD. Started shifting fine in less than 1mile. Also used on my ram 545rfe. Might help

OP
OP
C

CRB357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
See how it goes with the new fluid. Maybe you're making some progress.

If it persists, you might have the dealership look at it, or a tranny shop. Shift Solenoid flake-out is not uncommon. Or there could be another issue as mentioned above that can be resolved. Make sure there aren't any engine codes present.
:waytogo:
No other codes…….as of now anyway

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just dropped the pan and replaced the filters on a 16 2500 5.7 4x4 187k. Old fluid pretty dark. I would like to get as much of that old fluid out. How many miles until I drain and refill? I have a fluid extractor that goes down the dip stick that makes it super easy. My truck is shifting better since I swapped out 7qts of old with new. Used the Wix filter w/ a metal thread fitting. Thanks for that info forum! Figured getting more old out and fresh fluid in it could get better. Not as smooth as I would like. Clunky on downshift to 2nd when coming to stop at red lights.

Oh and there was a screw laying in my drain pan. It was from valve body and I found it’s home. Any chance that would cause P0934 or P0868? I cleared code after the fluid/filters change and they have come back after 100+ miles.‍♂️View attachment 542278
You don't indicate how many miles is on the vehicle or the fluid.

Has the transmission ever had the valvebody removed?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 110818 miles.

OP
OP
C

CRB357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You don't indicate how many miles is on the vehicle or the fluid.

Has the transmission ever had the valvebody removed?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 110818 miles.
It says 187k. I just bought it and have no idea about valve body being dropped. Dunno.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Sea foam. Makes one for transmissions. Worked pretty good for me. Just add it and drive it. DO NOT use regular sea foam. Will cook clutch’s. I used it on a low mile ford Aod that sat for a while & wouldn’t hit OD. Started shifting fine in less than 1mile. Also used on my ram 545rfe. Might help
While I understand the sentiment... do not put anything but the recommended fluid in these tranny's, period.

I would say to drop the pan and do a full gravity drain, overnight if possible, and then refill with fresh fluid and then drive. Ensure you follow the correct refill procedures, and fingers crossed that all operations are back to fantastic after this!

That's my $0.02 ;)

OP
OP
C

CRB357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I extracted 3 more qts and refilled yesterday. Up to 13 qts now. I have 3 more quarts of new fluid. P0934 came back too. I’m going to change the pressure sensor now. Probably do next week. I’ll update.