Blackout fog light options??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I need help! I've nearly finished blacking out all the trim on my 09 sport trimmed ram, and all I have left is the fog lights.

I just installed a set of black retro headlights done up by Jeremy's retro shop, (thanks buddy!) Now the fogs stick out like a sore thumb. I'm thinking about just having them tinted like I did with my tails, but I'd like to know if there are any other, or better options for darkening these things??

If anyone makes tinted covers, I haven't been able to find them.?.

Also, I will have to take off the bumper anyway to get the tint done, so I figure if I'm going to the trouble maybe there is some way to upgrade the fogs?? Would be nice if they were HID like the new heads, but I know next to nothing about this and need your guy's help!

Any tips or recomendations would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
B

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! I was kinda waiting until I finish these fog lights before I take pics! Haha.... truck just dosen't look right at the moment! :)

4XLGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Welcome! and what he said ^

EDIT: He being Dan aka The Assassin

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
i had mine professionally tinted
no film for me.
it will suck doing it on the curves w/o a heat gun

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Go with Lamin-x. Easy to apply and can be removed if you ever wanted to, plus it will provide protection against rock chips.

I have the "tint" shade on mine. If you want to black them out, go with the "gun smoke" color choice.

IMG_0420-1.jpg

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Welcome Brian!

Lamin-x all the way! If you lamin-x, no need to remove the sport bumper. HID them boogers! :D I happen to know a fella that can get you a kit for those too. :D:D

OP
OP
B

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome Brian!

Lamin-x all the way! If you lamin-x, no need to remove the sport bumper. HID them boogers! :D I happen to know a fella that can get you a kit for those too. :D:D

Hmm.... I looked, and I can't find any place that sells Lamin-x. And I'm not sure I trust my skills at self tinting.

How do you do it without removing the bumper? Do you jsut remove the fogs from underneath first?
My local tint guys said that the fogs are recessed with the edges of the lights partially blocked making it next to impossible to properly shape and trim, without either removing the bumper or the lights first???

...I am definately inerested in upgrading them to HID. So what are my options for that? Do I need to buy a whole new set of fogs, or is just swapping a bulb? ...and will I have to do a bunch of wiring with ballasts and a harness again??

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
check out Lamin-x Protective Films - Protect with Style

There are a few members with 4th gen sports that have put on lamin-x on the fogs. RaiderJay6, Bmrbrnsnrbrd and Kevin (few posts up) - I know none of those guys took the bumper off to do it. David (bmr) did it in 10 minutes.

For HIDs, let me triple check a few prices and I'll shoot them over in an email later today bud. I should have asked you about that when we talked about your heads - save on some shipping. (I have actually put fog kits on my "upgrades" sheet now........too little too late, I know).

Fogs are cake. Pull the bulb, mount the ballast. Plug, plug plug. done. Hardest part for me? Getting my fat belly under the front valance. Stupid 4th gens and that huge valance. I rolled it up on my ramps and did it. :D

OP
OP
B

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jeremy, sorry these two threads ended up merging, I was just hoping for some info on how to take the bumper off in that other thread. :)

Haven't had a chance to read my emails yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll want to do the HID upgrade on my fogs! Thanks!

-Couple questions to the guys who have Lamin-x'd their fogs already:

-Where do you buy this stuff? I can't seem to find it for sale on line.?

-How do you get it on there properly with the bumper being in the way and all??

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Lamin-x Protective Films - Protect with Style <---- click on it - that's a link that will take you to their website. They are a very small company that does all the cutting custom fit to your particular application. The only way to order is through their website online or you can call them and place an order.

The stuff is like a think plastic with adhesive on one side. To apply, it just requires a little water and then a little patience to get it adjusted just right. To get it in the fogs, you will have to do one side at a time. The stuff is very forgiving. You can pull it up and reapply numerous times until you get it to your liking.

OP
OP
B

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks! I'll check out that site soon as I get a chance!

I'd still love to hear any more tips on the how to do the application on these lights. Like what, if any, special tools or techniques you use to get it right?

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
No tools are needed - just your hands. They say on the instructions you can use a little water or just apply. Well the back is really sticky and will stick to anything it touches, so just be careful and don't rush it. I did use a little water, but other than that it's just apply and reapply until you get it. The Lamin-x will bend so you can get it in the fog light opening. Then from that point, start at one side, let a few inches stick down, look at it and adjust if needed.

It's not as difficult as it sounds. It just takes a little patience.

OP
OP
B

BryFry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool. Are these pre cut sheets the ones you are talking about?

Dodge Ram (2009, 2010, 2011) Fog Light Covers

Looks pretty good to me, and the price is a lot better than the $60 my local tint shop quoted me! Pluss they weren't even willing to try it without me removing my bumper first, so if you guys say this stuff is good, I'll give it a shot!

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
i'm just gonna post that i personally didnt like the film
60405_10150270471405335_558740334_14853931_7603935_n.jpg

but i loved the professional tint job
47224_10150270475810335_558740334_14854127_5152938_n.jpg

jusjay has my completely tinted set of everything but the headlights ask him how he likes the tint job

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Alex - to each their own. Yeah, I LOVE the look of a good tinted light, but in this case - its not worth removing the bumper to care for it. Its crazy.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Cool. Are these pre cut sheets the ones you are talking about?

Dodge Ram (2009, 2010, 2011) Fog Light Covers

Looks pretty good to me, and the price is a lot better than the $60 my local tint shop quoted me! Pluss they weren't even willing to try it without me removing my bumper first, so if you guys say this stuff is good, I'll give it a shot!

Yep those are the ones you want!

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Bryan, here is a picture of BigHorn 4 Life's truck. He has the "gunsmoke" shade on his heads and fogs. This is so you can get an idea how dark it will be.

Attachments

• big horn.jpg
    big horn.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 196

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BryFry...here's the deal:

A lot of people don't like a layover type of tint because it's a complete pain to use on compound curves, like the rounded fogs posted above. HOWEVER, our fogs are almost completely flat. Like Jeremy said, it took me 15 minutes from the time I went into the garage to the time I walked back out...both lights done.

What you want to do is:

Clean the lense thoroughly.
Use a spray bottle to mist the back of the Lamin-x with water after you peel the backing off.
Use the spray bottle to mist the fog thoroughly as well.
Lay the Lamin-x on the lense and, since you used water, you will be able to slide it around to get it in the right position.
Once you have it in the right spot, take a credit card wrapped in a microfiber towel to squeegee the remaining water out...it's not imperative to get every last drip out.
Now you're done...just let them dry and you'll be good to go.

I used the darker "Gun Smoke" and it looks amazing.

031511Photoshoot42.jpg

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Well David, from the way you described it, I didn't use enough water. Probably could have cut down the install in half. I think it took me about 10 min/side using almost no water.

And I thought all this time you had the lighter shade of tint on yours. haha

Bryan, follow David's instructions. You'll be better off.