Check those cabin filters!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You probably don't have a cabin filter on a 2015. I had a 2015 Laramie Eco diesel and it didn't have one from the factory. You can get and install one from genos garage. They are on line and specialize in parts for Ram!
Actually I do have a cabin filter, and have had one since the first month I bought my '15 Outdoorsman EcoD almost 5 years ago. I even bought the kit from Geno's :-D

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Stupid question if my 17'slt where would be at?
They're all in the same place, drop the lower glovebox drawer and look upon there. It directly above the fan motor. '17 usually came with the door and filter, especially the later built ones. If you don't have the for and filter, you can see where it goes.

OP
OP
joelmic

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
As a side note, my son took wife’s Jeep in for an oil change and despite me telling him to just get the oil change nothing more they dinged him $50 plus tax to change the cabin air filter. More than petty thievery dirty ********. Lol I have a filter in my shop that I hadn’t installed yet. Too (lazy) busy I guess.

I changed mine in the parking lot of Autozone with a car parked right next to me... 3 minutes tops!!!

Thievery dirty ******** is actually a compliment!!! :flame:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I had to do the CAF on my 2015 SLT ! Not too bad a job ! Tons of videos on You Tube and also on site here ! I do agree for years we never had them, and I never had a clogged heater or AC coil ! But IMO all depends where you live ! BUT after you see the crud the CAF catches it does have to help !
Do it or do not do it ,that is up to you :) But for 15$ a year it is cheap insurance and as the old saying goes Better to have it and not need it ,then need it and not have it lol

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RAM+cabin+air+filter+mod

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, as far as I know my 2014 RAM does NOT have a cabin filter. Wish it did.

My 2015 big horn did not come with one. I cut the opening, and used the cover I bought online (you can find the part number and get the lid on amazon).

To the comments about not needing filters, your are correct, you do not need it. You also do not need ac, heat, stereo, heated seats,... They are all not necessary, but they sure do make driving more comfortable.

I live in NY city area (Long Island) and spend a lot of time in bumper to bumper traffic. I drive 20k-30k miles per year in this area (I work 40 miles from home). I can tell a big difference between before I modified it to fit the filter and after. I also notice that the interior of my truck gets WAY less dusty requiring less cleaning.

If you look back at the filter on the first page, that is actual proof of why. All that dirt would have either been stuck in the AC system, or blown around into the cabin. On my Gen 2 1500, I had to replace the heater core twice (out of pocket). I am going to do everything I can to prevent having to do it on this truck.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Some of you guys must drive in pretty dirty conditions. My 2012 didn't even come with a cabin filter provision, and it seems fine after 160k miles. My family has older cars (80's and 90's) that never had a filter and don't have any problems. I think it's just another way to pry a few $$$ out of your wallet.
My 2012 Bighorn doesnt have one either-Ive seen videos on how to cut out to install one and then forgot all about it till now.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I seriously HATE how they made this filter housing. It's identical to the one I had in my old Silverado. If leaves and other large debris get in there when you pull out the filter that debris can and will fall into the fan below it. Then you've got a lot of buzzy noise until you take apart the whole assembly to clean out the fan. Bad engineering guys. Really bad. Make the filter door larger so you can pull out the filter along with any debris that may be sitting on top of it. It ain't rocket science RAM!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Open your windows and chuck those filters in the garbage.
It all a money sucking scam.

Now want to talk winter tires?

I'm ready to talk scams

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
16 - 1.jpg
The air filters work, the results are trapped in the filter when it's changed. The inside surfaces like the dash stay cleaner also.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Simple solution if you do not believe in them do not use them :O You are not forced to use one ! YES cars have run for years with out them and most had no issues ! BUT I have seen the crap my CAF catch's so I will continue to waste my $$ because I want to.

Last edited:

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque

Now want to talk winter tires?

I'm ready to talk scams

I've loved the idea since it's become more available. I also use "carbon" filters to help with certain allergens. Nobody is forcing you to do anything here. There's no need for you to do the same.

Also, if you've used proper winter tires, you'd know they are a big must have in some climates. If you've used cheap winter tires, I could see where you distrust them. YMMV.