low compression, what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
thanks. i never pulled the engine. using the same pistons. think i got wrong sized bearings
Ok. Bearing should be stamped STD for Standard size. Each set should be set in its rod, caps installed and torqued, then measured to check for proper clearence with the crank. This is done before install into the block. Sounds like you are a couple steps ahead without checking bearing clearence. Best of luck.

OP
OP
J

JURO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Sport.
Engine
1500 5.0 liter.
Ok. Bearing should be stamped STD for Standard size. Each set should be set in its rod, caps installed and torqued, then measured to check for proper clearence with the crank. This is done before install into the block. Sounds like you are a couple steps ahead without checking bearing clearence. Best of luck.
thanks

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
As seen here. STD. is Standard size.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813_205806_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230813_205806_Chrome.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 6

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
would the head gaskets still be good even after the heads were fastened down but not torqued to spec?
If you tightened down at all at this point I'd probably swap out the bearings one rod at a time and see what you got instead of the chance of the gasket being unusable. I hope you cleaned the mating surfaces well. You do not want any contamination on the block or heads. And use a razor to scrape it clean, NOT an abrasive that removes metals and potentially ruins the mating surface.

OP
OP
J

JURO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Sport.
Engine
1500 5.0 liter.
If you tightened down at all at this point I'd probably swap out the bearings one rod at a time and see what you got instead of the chance of the gasket being unusable. I hope you cleaned the mating surfaces well. You do not want any contamination on the block or heads. And use a razor to scrape it clean, NOT an abrasive that removes metals and potentially ruins the mating surface.
i used a clean cloth soaked in gasoline to clean & wipe all mating surfaces.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
still binding after I replaced all bearings with standard size, & made sure all was clean.
should i try undersize bearings?

Are you installing them correctly with the tang? You'll need to mic the crank and measure the assembled rods to see if you got the right bearings and propper clearances. Hard to see what you got going on over the internet.
So is it a particular rod that binds on the crank when it is torqued or each one will bind?
Are you sure it is binding? You need to get calipers and get some measurements. Do you have a local engine builder that could take a look? Like I said it's tough doing this on a keyboard.

OP
OP
J

JURO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Sport.
Engine
1500 5.0 liter.
a cylinder wall has a scratch on it, it was deep enough to catch my fingernail.
after i honed the cylinder, the scratch is still visible but now it feels smooth.
is it okay?