My truck is moaning :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you trust what the steeler did, it's on top of the intake plenum on passenger side, on the throttle body take the snorkel off and look inside they sell a cleaner to clean the throttle plate and areas, as @Wild one posted here it may be a vacuum noise from the bolts being loose on the intake plenum.

I will try and take a peek!

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I finally tried disconnecting the e fan, nice to know my truck can drive a long time without needing it. The 180 tstat kept it perfectly cool and coolant stayed at 85C to 89C.

But still moaning with it disconnected.

Next step is to dig into the intake plenum.

I've shown the video to my mechanic and also a couple guys at the dealer and they all just cross their eyes and say "no idea, we'll need to play with your truck".

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
So I finally tried disconnecting the e fan, nice to know my truck can drive a long time without needing it. The 180 tstat kept it perfectly cool and coolant stayed at 85C to 89C.

But still moaning with it disconnected.

Next step is to dig into the intake plenum.

I've shown the video to my mechanic and also a couple guys at the dealer and they all just cross their eyes and say "no idea, we'll need to play with your truck".

This "moaning sound" coincides at the time you added the remote oil filter relocation kit? PACbrake brand?

As bothersome as it seems to you, why not remove the oil filter relocation kit, for arguments sake and maybe a piece of mind, and see if that solves your issue?

... again, other than purchasing a good pair of earplugs or turning the volume up on the radio, I'm just kidding!

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This "moaning sound" coincides at the time you added the remote oil filter relocation kit? PACbrake brand?

As bothersome as it seems to you, why not remove the oil filter relocation kit, for arguments sake and maybe a piece of mind, and see if that solves your issue?

... again, other than purchasing a good pair of earplugs or turning the volume up on the radio, I'm just kidding!

And just because we need to know. :cool:

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have thought long and hard about removing it. The problem is I only have enough oil for my current setup (and it's already 1/3 down the dipstick as is) and this stuff is costly (HPL) so I don't want to just throw a quart out a few times in the process.

If I do remove it, I'd want to replace it with the dual filter like wild one's and I'm just not sure yet on that setup what's all involved, as far as I can see it requires custom hoses and brackets to fit it on our trucks? If so, I'd need to get that all sorted out first and ready to go so that I'm not wasting oil more than I need to.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I have thought long and hard about removing it. The problem is I only have enough oil for my current setup (and it's already 1/3 down the dipstick as is) and this stuff is costly (HPL) so I don't want to just throw a quart out a few times in the process.

If I do remove it, I'd want to replace it with the dual filter like wild one's and I'm just not sure yet on that setup what's all involved, as far as I can see it requires custom hoses and brackets to fit it on our trucks? If so, I'd need to get that all sorted out first and ready to go so that I'm not wasting oil more than I need to.

I've read here in the RAMforum, that a couple of feller's had issues with the PACbrake oil filter relocation kit, but nothing mentioned about strange sound(s).

Their issues were more related to minor leaks that could very easy be resolved, idk.

However, I had thought that that the PACbrake would be the perfect set up for my HEMI, but I'm more than likely going to put that on hold for now.

My only reason for wanting to install the oil filter relocation kit is for the ease of removing/reinstalling the oil filter, reducing the oily mess.

But, that's really not a thing anymore, I have a method I use for not spilling anything and it really doesn't take anymore time.

I'm curious if that oil filter relocation kit is to be the cause of your "noise" being that your "issue" has showed up during that time frame, idk...?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

If the hoses are close together,try zip tying a rag to each hose.If the noise is from the relocation kit,a couple rags tied to each hose should isolate them and muffle the noise

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My hoses are dead quiet,but i've also wrapped them with split loom covering and hockey tape then ziptied them together

Was all this extra tidy installation work just because you're so particular about how the underside of your truck looks or... :cool:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Maybe, it would be easier to follow Rick's example and apply some sound deadening materials instead of removing it for testing.

Split loom is easy to get at Princess Auto and hockey tape grows everywhere up here. :cool:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Rick, could that be @ramffml's oil filter relocation kit causing his noise issue?
To me it doesn't sound like it's his relocation kit,but if it started at the same time the kit went on,it's something to investigate,and try to isolate the hoses from the mix. Doesn't cost much to insulate the hoses,and it's a place to start