DIY: 2013 Ram add OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome write-up!!!
I'm also looking to do this upgrade soon but still unsure about the "custom harness" part of it. Hopefully someone that has done this can respond with some more details on it.
Thanks in advance!

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So do i order the custom harness or do i need to make it? Or am I just running wires from connectors and pinning them?
I just talkes to Dodge/Chrysler and they won't be able to add the camera for another 8 to 10 months which is ridiculous lmo.

Awesome write-up!!!
I'm also looking to do this upgrade soon but still unsure about the "custom harness" part of it. Hopefully someone that has done this can respond with some more details on it.
Thanks in advance!

The harnesses would be easy to make, problem is tracking down the factory pins.

Jeepguy has done all of the work and since he did all of the research I just tapped him for the harnesses.

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully someone can help, I just bought my 2013 SLT without the factory installed camera, part of the deal was that they throw in the factory camera. They did but installed it in the review mirror. Now when I shift into reverse, the review mirror camera comes on and so does a blue screen on the 5.0 Uconnect radio. Do you think its possible that I can switch it so that the camera comes on on the radio screen?

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully someone can help, I just bought my 2013 SLT without the factory installed camera, part of the deal was that they throw in the factory camera. They did but installed it in the review mirror. Now when I shift into reverse, the review mirror camera comes on and so does a blue screen on the 5.0 Uconnect radio. Do you think its possible that I can switch it so that the camera comes on on the radio screen?

No, that is why they do it with the mirror. You will need harnesses that don't exist unless you make them or buy them.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you have a video signal in the cab, it might be really easy to pull that signal to the radio. You'll need some pictures of the harness going to your mirror. I'll try to look at it after the 23rd.

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
If you have a video signal in the cab, it might be really easy to pull that signal to the radio. You'll need some pictures of the harness going to your mirror. I'll try to look at it after the 23rd.

The video signal is behind the right pop off thing on the dash. The piece between the dash and door to the right of the glovebox. Its 3 twisted wires. 1 is positive signal, 1 is negative signal, and the third is the shield wire.

Not sure where they hook into radio harness at but that's where to get the signal

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, I'll have a look as well in the next week or so.

dodgehemi0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is great thanks jeepguy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The video signal is behind the right pop off thing on the dash. The piece between the dash and door to the right of the glovebox. Its 3 twisted wires. 1 is positive signal, 1 is negative signal, and the third is the shield wire.

Not sure where they hook into radio harness at but that's where to get the signal

A picture would be more helpful.

Ks Whirly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gentlemen - -

Thank you for the write up and information about the rearview camera installation.

I too am interested in adding the rearview camera to my new 2013 Dodge Ram Bighorn with the 8.4 radio and display that we purchased on 8/29/2013.

This truck also has the factory-installed tailgate locking feature.

So far, I have ordered the OEM Camera and the "Y" tailgate harness, to pick-up the required 6 pins for the camera system.

In reviewing your write up, it appears that the 6 wires for the camera are not installed in the wiring bundle; consequently, the "Custom Harness" you describe.

If I am correct, where did you purchase this cable, and its part number.

Thanks again, nice project.

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I didn't take pics I forgot. But next time I'm working on the truck I can snap a few

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was just told today by my local chrysler dealer that the uConnect 5.0 RA2 is not compatible with a backup camera even though there are options for one in the radio settings?!?! When I bought the truck, I got the review camera put in after, unfortunately it is in the review mirror. To top it off, when they replace the mirror, they also disabled the handsfree since the mic is in the stock mirror. Now they're telling me I can only have either the backup camera or the handsfree, not both!! WTF????

Anyone have the backup camera working with the uConnect 5.0 RA2?

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the 5.0 and bought the custom harness from Jeepguy. I'm waiting on the other parts to come in and I'll be the guinea pig.

I would not be happy if my dealer took away my hands free. I'd rather look over my shoulder to backup

castires

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When are you expecting your other parts to arrive? I was chatting with Jeepguy, you must be the one he was referring too.

I guess I'll wait to see your outcome, fingers crossed for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hoping by Monday. Then I need to find the time to do the wiring and a trip to the dealer. Probably won't be a quick project for me. But I'm sure I'm probabaly the one Jeepguy was referring too.

castires

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm wondering if I should give it a go along with you. Then we could share any tips or whatever together along the way.

Does your radio have an option in settings for a camera? I saw a previous post about it, but I checked today and don't see it on mine.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm wondering if I should give it a go along with you. Then we could share any tips or whatever together along the way.

Does your radio have an option in settings for a camera? I saw a previous post about it, but I checked today and don't see it on mine.

The camera options won't show up in the radio until the truck is flashed. My 8.4 was the same way.

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the 5.0 and bought the custom harness from Jeepguy. I'm waiting on the other parts to come in and I'll be the guinea pig.

I would not be happy if my dealer took away my hands free. I'd rather look over my shoulder to backup

I should add that the uConnect 5.0 RA3 and RA4 radios do support the backup camera. Apprently they are working on a solution for the RA2 but no timeframe given. Do you know which version you have?

In the meantime, yes, they are removing the camera. Agreed, I would rather look over my shoulder to backup than go without the handsfree.

I look forward to your findings, fingers crossed as well for you!

castires

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How can you tell which version one has?

castires

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait I'm confused by your statement. You said the 5.0 RA3 and RA4 have support but the RA2 doesn't. Well the 5.0 is the RA2.... Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.