‘06 Cummins oil leak after blown front right tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Blown right front tire at 70 mph. Drove about 300 mph no problem. No oil pressure light. No warnings came on at all. A day later noticed massive amount of oil from bottom of oil pan the length of the underside. Dipstick below minimum. Dealer says they want to do a compression test thinking I have a blown engine. I don’t think so, but I’m not a mechanic. Thoughts? I have a very hard time believing I need to replace an engine with only 134k miles on it!
Update- Dodge tech says possible piston or seals leaking. Crankcase breather tube spits out oil. Breather filter blown out from excess pressure, sign of a blow by. So, I’m no mechanic I’ll admit. What am I looking at here? Rebuild? Remanufactured? Will an ‘04 or an ‘09 fit on my 2006 frame? Seems like those are “good” years. Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moose58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Update: Looks like it might be the breather hose filter that’s inside the valve cover. Horrible place to put it. Might be plugged. Ordering the part from Peterbuilt and installing tonight. Great neighbor came by after a 12 hour day and between him and his buddy on the phone they figured it out. His buddy says that filter hardly ever gets swapped out since it is inside that valve cover. Back pressure was causing the crankcase breather hose to blow by. 10 quarts blew out under the truck. What a mess!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum