16' Ram 2500 6.4 completely fell apart on me tranny/axel/electronics/brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbeTabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So my abs light and traction control light came on, at the same time my right front brake tried to lock up and was stuck grinding, it appears something happened in that wheel bearing by all the shredded metal around it and it was cockeyed, the axel/ wheel bearing/ something happened, my brake rotor was completely miss aligned and grinding all over the caliper. let me rewind a month ago.....

my truck won't engage 4th 5th or 6th.... in auto it gets to 4th and just revs like its in neutral, same as 5th 6th. It shifted just find 1-3 for over a thousand miles no problem, I had to set it to 3rd gear manually so it wouldn't shift into fourth, therefore not basically going into neutral, as soon as it would do that it would not downshift to 3rd without turning off and turning the truck back on. I replaced all the sensors to no avail. Now I can't drive the piece of crap at all. the truck ran great until I hit 50k I had a minor problem. Now at 140k everything is just going downhill fast. It's probable not even worth fixing at this point.

Some other weird thing that really pissed off my neighbor hood I lived in a couple years ago was my ALARM going off randomly all the time. And the truck constantly locking and ulocking....

Even weirder I had someone bust one of my windows out and the alarm never went off, also someone try with a rock 4 times leaving permanent scratches and the alarm did not go off. My self personally prying the door open when I locked myself out 3 times, alarm never went off on this thing. Just randomly at 2 am overnight, everyday. I used to say great things about ram but I think these trucks are programmed to go out at certain times.

Ive done a lot of research and it just seems all these SENSORS are cauisign ALL THESE PROBLEMS!

GET RID OF THE SENSORS!

zrock

Reaction score
well we are not into a 7 year old truck. the front wheel bearings would have shown signs of being bad prior to failing totally and when they do show that sign they can go fast. When the trans started having issues you should have stopped instead of continuing to drive and new sensors may have cured the problem but since you kept trying and trying to shift into the bad gears you smoked the clutches. I could be wrong but a OEM alarm does not have any type of glass break sensor so it would have never picked that up or the rocking of the truck, when you locked your keys in the truck the truck still seen the keys so it would have never triggered when the door was forced open. These are not like the aftermarket alarms that can monitor everything.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like you just need to get a new ABS board/module (probably...real common failure), change the wheel bearing, and whatever on the tranny (probably used would be the best bet). Or sell it real cheap as a "mechanic's special" and go get a different truck (probably a Toyota...is the usual path in a case like this).

Best of luck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Somebody should tell him how to spell Axle,lol

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it really an alarm or just a panic alarm? It may very well be the panic alarm going off. Could be the FOB is bad that is causing the random lock/unlock and alarm going off. My 2014 FOB did that. the little discs inside the FOB, that make contact with the circuit board fell off and caused the random loc/unlock and panic alarm. Replaced the outer FOB shell and all was well.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Transmission went into LIMP Mode
at 140,000 needs rebuild

The FOB(s) for the Ram is likely corroded, causing the Rams Horn to HONK, take the FOBs to a Locksmith that has Mobile Vans, that kind of locksmith carries all types of FOBs, if you have the Ram at the shop, or call for them to come to the Rams location, they can program the Ram if needed.

I can't help with the Braking System

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ABS and traction control light were obviously caused by the wheel bearing failure. Guarantee the code is related to the wheel speed sensor at that wheel. Basically when the wheel bearing fails that bad it takes out the wheel speed sensor on that wheel. In general having a wheel bearing issues at 140k is from normal wear and is common on any model of truck. I personally know of 2 different Chevy's and a Toyota that all lost front wheel bearings around the mileage.
For the transmission, not sure what to tell you there. It may have been a pretty simple fix originally but continuing to run it with issues just made it worse. Again, it had 140k miles so not exactly a new truck. Did you ever change the fluid in it? Did you ever even check the fluid level?
For the alarm, I have a previous Chevy that had the same issue with it going off randomly in the middle of the night. It was one of the door sensors. Basically the sensor was going bad and would randomly think a door was being opened. Besides for the alarm going off at night, sometimes when you were driving down the road the interior lights would come on and the dash would say door ajar.
I understand your frustration but simply don't see anything unusual or unique to Ram. Besides for the alarm I'm also not sure sensors were the issue. Sensors obviously had nothing to do with the wheel bearing failure, and the ABS lights were from the wheel bearing failure. You stated all the sensors were changed in the trans and still had issues, so the problems there weren't from sensors either.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Since this guy will never be back.... can we chalk this up to "lack of maintenance"?