2011 1500 5.7 Steering issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chri_s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At around 70mph my truck becomes unstable, as in almost swaying side to side feeling like im floating on waves is the only accurate way to describe it. Also have a lot of death wobble included only at around 50mph, 65, & 70. Haven't pushed past 70 because it becomes very sketchy to drive.
I've already replaced my upper and lower ball joints on the Passenger Front side, when it was lifted up we did the classic front to back shake method to test the ball joints. In doing so we also did the side to side & i felt a clunk almost, not smooth like it should be when turning the wheels side to side. Unsure of what to do if it could be anything in the steering column, tie rods, ect. Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it needs an alignment. Also is on 33x12.5 tires @ stock heigh im sure that has its own set of issues it brings to the equation.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Swaying side to side is usually more rear suspension oriented then front suspension. Being a 2011,you're probably due for new rear locating arms and track bar,as the bushings do wear out over time. The bushings dry rot / crack with age,and then the rear end can start moving around under the truck,and in laymans terms almost starts to steer the rear of the truck,which leads to a side to side sway motion.

OP
OP
C

Chri_s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, I'm looking to do a 6in lift, would that replace some of that with just a standard kit, or would that be something i can replace now & not have to worry about re-replacing later on?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Your on your own with the lift,i hate lifted trucks and won't have anything to do with them,lol. Hopefully you'll get answers from guys who do lifts regularly,as i sign off as soon as a lift is mentioned :Big Laugh:
You'll be better off posting in the lifted section,if you're planning on lifting it. If Quick Shifter answers,listen to him,and don't argue with his advice ;)

OP
OP
C

Chri_s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, either way i do appreciate the help you've given. Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well, either way i do appreciate the help you've given. Thanks
Everybody and their dog has a lifted truck where i live. I've never built or really liked a mainstream style lifted build that everybody else is doing,lol