ISSUE WITH STEERING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVPOWERMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello all,

I am brand new to the forum. Before posting I did some looking and around and it seems like a pretty cool site. What brought me here was a suggestion from a friend to try a forum about an issue Im having with my ram that no one can seem to figure out. Ive been to three dodge delarships and three "every man garages" and a self proclaimed ram expert and no one can seem to figure this out. SO here is the issue:

When I turn the steering wheel to the right, I hear two to four cracking sounds depending on how far right I go. When I turn the wheel back to neutral, I hear the same amount of cracks. You can somewhat feel it in the floor board just a little. This only happen when turning to the right, everything is normal when turning to the left. It wont do it when the truck is sitting still unless i pull up with the wheen turned to the right, put it in park. then turn the steering wheel back to neutral. It will do it then, but if I am sitting still and turn the wheel to the right it wont do it.

I have replaced the axle, and lower control arm (on the advise one of the dealerships) on the driver side (where the noise emmits from). checked the brake shield. dealerships said tie rods, ball joints, upper arms are all fine. Any help is appreciated and I look forward to talking ram brand with you all. Thanks!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Intermediate shafts, check rack mounts

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is a u-joint in your steering shaft ,these are known to bind up . This is something that you should consider.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1500 I assume? Does it have any lift? Large tires?

OP
OP
W

WVPOWERMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have not personally checked the intermediate shafts, but the two dealerships said that they checked the entire front end out and everything seemed fine. now whether or not they included the intermideiate shafts on that could be a different story.

Thank you for the input. @Brandon-w and @mrack

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
The shaft can feel fine but the needle bearings can bind in eachother under pressure and cause a popping. Seen it before. Usually the shaft binds before that but definately don't rule it out. You can take it off and move the joints around but that proves they're not binding unloads it doesn't prove they're not slightly binding under pressure. Been tempted to drill my caps out for grease zerks.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t trust many mechanics , there are some good ones but apparently you have not identified them yet. Dealers are known to bs.customers especially i

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you have a 4X4 check the strut top mount nuts. Loose mounts make a crack/pop noise.

I had wondered about that as well. Wife's old Impala did the same thing. Didn't hurt anything so we just left it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lot of good advice given here. Intermediate shafts make multiple bends and can bind a little and then go 'pop' when they unbind. There's an upper and a lower. HERE

I thought you said the 'upper' ball joints were deemed good. It might be worth a second look. Upper ball joints on these trucks seem to fail faster than lowers. But if you can feel it in the steering wheel, definitely check the steering shaft/s

Attachments

• 1714408943731.png
    1714408943731.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 12

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Depending on what the "crack" sounds like, this will seem crazy.

Do you have air suspension? I had an issue with cracking sounds while turning to the left and back again - usually only while moving. It took a LONG time to figure out that the liner in my driver's side front wheel well had bent outwards a little. The tire was catching on the liner when the truck was lowered to Entry/Exit level and the tires turned to the left. (The right side liner was where it was supposed to be so I never had any issue when turning to the right.)

When the truck was raised to Aero, Normal or Off-Road, there was no issue. It only happened when the truck was lowered all the way and when I was turning to the left with the vehicle moving (i.e. in a parking garage or something). I finally had a dealer rep that actually got under the vehicle and look at the liner. He said it was bent out and simply bent it back inward again. Since then I have very rarely had the sound happen. When I do, I get under the fender and bend the liner back into place and, voila, noise goes away for another 6+ months or more.

sottis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How about checking the most obvious thing - the steering rack.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all,

I am brand new to the forum. Before posting I did some looking and around and it seems like a pretty cool site. What brought me here was a suggestion from a friend to try a forum about an issue Im having with my ram that no one can seem to figure out. Ive been to three dodge delarships and three "every man garages" and a self proclaimed ram expert and no one can seem to figure this out. SO here is the issue:

When I turn the steering wheel to the right, I hear two to four cracking sounds depending on how far right I go. When I turn the wheel back to neutral, I hear the same amount of cracks. You can somewhat feel it in the floor board just a little. This only happen when turning to the right, everything is normal when turning to the left. It wont do it when the truck is sitting still unless i pull up with the wheen turned to the right, put it in park. then turn the steering wheel back to neutral. It will do it then, but if I am sitting still and turn the wheel to the right it wont do it.

I have replaced the axle, and lower control arm (on the advise one of the dealerships) on the driver side (where the noise emmits from). checked the brake shield. dealerships said tie rods, ball joints, upper arms are all fine. Any help is appreciated and I look forward to talking ram brand with you all. Thanks!
"It wont do it when the truck is sitting still unless i pull up with the wheen turned to the right, put it in park. then turn the steering wheel back to neutral. It will do it then, but if I am sitting still and turn the wheel to the right it wont do it."

There should be no play in the system that would allow pulling the steering wheel upwards (toward the driver) to have an effect. To me this suggest the issue is in the column itself.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 110455 miles.