2012 vs 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 12 for 8 years and put over 100k on it. My neighbor bought it off of me and he is still driving it. It is one of the last good trucks I truly believe Dodge made. Maintain it and run good fluids in it and it wont give you one ounce of problems.
I wonder when I read a comment like "One of the last good" ones, referring to cars, trucks, washing machines....et al.
If 2012 was the last of the good ones, then why have Rams sold so well in the 12 years since?

There is a slice of truth in the statement, though. My parents acquired a WW2 era chest freezer in about 1965. It was a "Philco" brand. (A subsidiary of FORD). My maternal grandparents had bought it new, and passed it down. It kicked the bucket in about 1985ish.

But I wouldn't go so far as to exclaim that it is one of the last good ones. It wasn't grounded AT ALL. This meant that if you were barefooted and opened it, you got a shock. Ditto for the fridge! We could open the lid on the washing machine during it's cycles.... not possible today, because some folks are dangerous around machinery!

It's durability was good. I wonder how far "planned obsolescence" had morphed at that time.

In 1999, my now grown daughter was in a horrific car crash that, according to the cops, should have killed her. The car was a 1994 Cavalier. When I saw the car, the driver's and passenger compartment was still intact. That was a major factor in keeping her alive. There were no airbags in Cavaliers (GM's J car) until the next year. Her next car had dual airbags... and she never had to test them out, thank goodness! The rest of the accident car looked like it had gone through a shredder.

Some of what has made such drastic changes in products has been influenced by consumer demands and safety germane to avoidable hazards. And don't forget watchdogs like Nader!

Whether it is a TV (Zenith) with a "hot" chassis, an ungrounded fridge or freezer, baby cribs that maim or kill, or car crashes, hazards abound. We mere mortals do our level best at avoiding said hazards and trying to being aware of as many as possible, so we can spend more time on this planet, posting on forums and grousing about whatever ails us ;).

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder when I read a comment like "One of the last good" ones, referring to cars, trucks, washing machines....et al.
If 2012 was the last of the good ones, then why have Rams sold so well in the 12 years since?

There is a slice of truth in the statement, though. My parents acquired a WW2 era chest freezer in about 1965. It was a "Philco" brand. (A subsidiary of FORD). My maternal grandparents had bought it new, and passed it down. It kicked the bucket in about 1985ish.

But I wouldn't go so far as to exclaim that it is one of the last good ones. It wasn't grounded AT ALL. This meant that if you were barefooted and opened it, you got a shock. Ditto for the fridge! We could open the lid on the washing machine during it's cycles.... not possible today, because some folks are dangerous around machinery!

It's durability was good. I wonder how far "planned obsolescence" had morphed at that time.

In 1999, my now grown daughter was in a horrific car crash that, according to the cops, should have killed her. The car was a 1994 Cavalier. When I saw the car, the driver's and passenger compartment was still intact. That was a major factor in keeping her alive. There were no airbags in Cavaliers (GM's J car) until the next year. Her next car had dual airbags... and she never had to test them out, thank goodness! The rest of the accident car looked like it had gone through a shredder.

Some of what has made such drastic changes in products has been influenced by consumer demands and safety germane to avoidable hazards. And don't forget watchdogs like Nader!

Whether it is a TV (Zenith) with a "hot" chassis, an ungrounded fridge or freezer, baby cribs that maim or kill, or car crashes, hazards abound. We mere mortals do our level best at avoiding said hazards and trying to being aware of as many as possible, so we can spend more time on this planet, posting on forums and grousing about whatever ails us ;).
What I meant was one of the last good Hemi era 4th gen trucks. It sure seemed like you saw a lot more issues with 13+ trucks and not nearly as much with 09-12 trucks.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree.... 2012 *is* the best yr! :happy3:

But in this case, in a rusty environment, I think the '18 makes a lot of sense. Just based on what the OP has written. Unless the '12 is from FL or somewhere down S. ..But then later he posted the truck was a 2014(??)...or was that a fat-finger?? IDK