2013 Big Horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezmoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the Vararam and also a throttle body from Moe's, Speedform throttle controller, C&L aggressive muffler, lowered the rear 2 or 3 inches, rebadged and installed an amplified antenna (it works great) on the inside of windshield because the car wash almost ripped off the oem antenna. I got really bad reception from those shorter plastic ones. I didn't want to have to remove the oem antenna every time I go through the car wash. I have been reading about how bad the 6 speed transmission is. Should I start saving and planning to replace the transmission or have it rebuilt?
1000001343.jpg
1000001347.jpg
1000001342.jpg
1000001345.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ezmoney

ezmoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there anything I can do to make the 6 speed transmission last longer, besides the way I drive it? Torque converter, shift kit, 4.10 gears, will any of these things help to prolong the life of a 6 speed transmission?

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You will probably not get any good feedback on your 6 speed on here. I also have the 6 speed (65RFE) that the only thing I don't like about it is what I call having a fake 3rd gear (2nd prime). If it was the 66RFE I wouldn't have a problem with it. Mine has 153,000 miles on it to date and I haven't had an issue with it so far. I drag race it about 3 times a year at a couple drag strips, I tow a travel trailer with it and treat it just like I have any of my vehicles I've had over the years. I always hear if you make over 400 HP it'll explode, mines pretty much stock. I personally just bought a new valve body that's supposed to correct some of the issues they have. I haven't installed it yet and may be a few more weeks before I do. Once again it hasn't given me any problems so I guess I'm hoping/trying to do some preventive maintenance on it (and man how that has backfired on me a few times over the years) LOL

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I installed the Vararam and also a throttle body from Moe's, Speedform throttle controller, C&L aggressive muffler, lowered the rear 2 or 3 inches, rebadged and installed an amplified antenna (it works great) on the inside of windshield because the car wash almost ripped off the oem antenna. I got really bad reception from those shorter plastic ones. I didn't want to have to remove the oem antenna every time I go through the car wash. I have been reading about how bad the 6 speed transmission is. Should I start saving and planning to replace the transmission or have it rebuilt?
View attachment 548112
View attachment 548113
View attachment 548114
View attachment 548115
Go onto Tuned Rams and High Performance Rams on facebook,and ask about your transmission.You might as well go onto the pages the hi-po guys hang out on,and ask that question

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
View attachment 548112
View attachment 548113
View attachment 548114
View attachment 548115
Nice looking truck you have by the way!

OP
OP
ezmoney

ezmoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I plan on a 6.4 intake swap in the future but can't afford it at the moment, so I ported my 5.7 manifold. It cost 0 dollars. I already installed a less restrictive muffler, Vararam, 87mm ported throttle body, and a throttle controller. I think they all work together like synergy. My truck runs and sounds great now. I haven't driven it much since porting the intake but the tires chirped at 30 mph yesterday, something my truck has never done and I think I need to turn the throttle controller down because screeching the tires unintentionally around town is not my goal. There is a lot of great information on this forum. It's helped a lot. The mods I plan in the future are headers, 6.4 intake, tune, Eaton trutrac differential.