2014 Ram 1500 coolant bypass valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastlane85395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Ok so it all started out with Rams stupid idea for a plastic oil cooler /filter housing which I had replaced at shop cost about $1200 well instead of upgrading to the all metal one they put in another plastic on that didnt even last 2 yrs. So of course it failed filled my radiator with oil made a hell of a mess . Well so i replaced myself with all metal one finally got all the oil out of system and believe it or not the radiator flush they sell at parts stores is crap . You want to flush it out good you use about a teaspoon of dawn dish soap and run it a couple days then dump , flush ,and refill . So then i started to hsve a problem with headlights one would go out then the other i would wiggle harness they would come back on. We all of a sudden i got a code for coolant bypass valve . So i replacrd it . Code wont clear . I followed wires from coolant bypass valve and the seem to share either s power or a ground from headlight . So what i am wondering is if this code is being triggerd by the faulty harness to headlights and how do i fix it?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so it all started out with Rams stupid idea for a plastic oil cooler /filter housing which I had replaced at shop cost about $1200 well instead of upgrading to the all metal one they put in another plastic on that didnt even last 2 yrs. So of course it failed filled my radiator with oil made a hell of a mess . Well so i replaced myself with all metal one finally got all the oil out of system and believe it or not the radiator flush they sell at parts stores is crap . You want to flush it out good you use about a teaspoon of dawn dish soap and run it a couple days then dump , flush ,and refill . So then i started to hsve a problem with headlights one would go out then the other i would wiggle harness they would come back on. We all of a sudden i got a code for coolant bypass valve . So i replacrd it . Code wont clear . I followed wires from coolant bypass valve and the seem to share either s power or a ground from headlight . So what i am wondering is if this code is being triggerd by the faulty harness to headlights and how do i fix it?

When you say coolant bypass valve are you talking about the three way valve that sits at the front of the passenger side engine bay down low and looks like a LP gas regulator with an electrical connection on the side of it? I’ve had two of those replaced under warranty. They are known to fail and set off the CEL and give various codes.

Don’t want to bring out the parts cannon and start replacing perfectly good equipment but they are known to go bad.