2016 Ram 1500- Good Pwr, No Crank, No start -Help pls!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S7V7N_7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BLUF: Truck will not start, think it may be related to Park indicator showing park, but can still turn wheel with key out and truck off. (Skip to #7 if you don't wana read all the previous troubleshooting)

I have a 2016 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi with just under 51k miles. Today I went to the dump no problems, started at home 2x (once to move truck to load and once to leave), turned off/on at dump no issue, stopped at autozone turned off/on no issue. Came home and parked the truck like normal. The only thing I did different was, after I put in park, I adjusted the front tires to be straight (cant remember if I did that prior to shutting off truck or after... think this may be related to the cause of it not starting)

Two hours after my morning dump run, I went to start truck and it would not start at all. Here were the symptoms/troubleshooting-
1) put key in and turned ignition on, dash lights/indicators came on like normal, AC, and radio (I also believe I heard the fuel pump activate). I turned the ignition to on and nothing happened, not clicking, no cranking... nothing. I tried a few times with no luck.
2) I also tried BOTH keys I have-no luck.
3) I also tried unlock and relock truck incase it was an anti-theft issue
4) I checked battery with multimeter and it was good. I looked at fuses and were good. I ended up taking battery out and putting on charger for 2hrs..even though I am positive the battery is good. still not starting
5) I researched the web/youtube and saw some fixes for a possible WIN module. I took that apart and it looked fine, no dust or dirt.
6) I also tried tapping on the started as recommended form a random youtube vid
7) I noticed while working on the WIN that I could turn the steering wheel... normally if I recall, the steering wheel will lock once truck is off... but I could turn the wheel with no power and key out. Even though when I put key in and turned it showed truck in P-Park

I am starting to think it has to do with the steering wheel being able to be turned and the truck showing park... does the truck think its not in park and won't start? does anyone know a way to trick the truck into going into park?

super bummed right now. I really appreciate you taking time to read my post and am all ears for suggestions.

thanks,

OP
OP
S

S7V7N_7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having this same problem... did you ever figure your issue out? @S7V7N_7

had it towed to my local mechanic. 1000$ later it runs. It was the starter. Don't I feel stupid.

Who would of known a 2016 Ram with 50k miles would need a new starter. Gotta love RAM reliability.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
had it towed to my local mechanic. 1000$ later it runs. It was the starter. Don't I feel stupid.

Who would of known a 2016 Ram with 50k miles would need a new starter. Gotta love RAM reliability.
Sometimes you have to forget all this new fangled stuff and go back to the basic troubleshooting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ttomasz