Weird thing happened today exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm driving threw the city and then I notice hey the trucks louder. Continue driving hit the hwy I'm thinking muffler has issue (2 years old) then my son says hey I hear a noise in turn off radio and I hear the pipe dragging. I pull over and my tip resonator pipe all the way to the dual out muffler is dragging on the ground and not connected to the muffler it's resting on axel.
We throw it in box and start driving and trucks alot louder and then 40km later again we hear it get even louder lol. We pull over and the driver side pipe is now not connected to the muffler so we put that into the box.

So 2 questions.
What would cause both pipes to break welds at the muffler.

2nd. Why is the truck so much louder with just the tips and resonator not there. The muffler is still connected. Sounds straight piped.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine did the same thing last year. The U bolts that connect the tailpipe to the muffler rusted away and disintegrated, and the pipe dropped onto the drive shaft.

It was a lot louder with one tailpipe off.

Luckily, the stainless tailpipe and Borla muffler were perfect, so all I had to replace was the u bolt.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here are a few thoughts

1) It's hard to say for sure...did you notice any of your truck's hangars or straps (in the rear) damaged/or no-good before? If exhaust is hanging down, it'll eventually crack somewhere.

2) Some cat thieves didn't mess with your truck did they?

3) There was a report on the news about the CCEG's ...Conniving California Exhaust Gnomes, going around at night and clanking on exhaust pipes. Hard to say if that's it, or what tools they use nowadays, but..ya can't rule it out I guess.

:laughing1:

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What would cause both pipes to break welds at the muffler.

1) One (or more) the the hangers is likely broken or if it's aftermarket then whoever did the work my have never installed them to begin with. Once one broke you lost part of you strength causing the other to fail as well.

2) Like @Ken226 said, if they are clamped then it could have been that or a weld that failed.

2nd. Why is the truck so much louder with just the tips and resonator not there. The muffler is still connected. Sounds straight piped.

Two fold. First is that the muffler isn't the only part that makes it more quiet. Every inch of pipe is helping to quiet it down, so when you lost 4ft of pipe it just got that much louder. Second is that the end of what's left of the exhaust is that much closer to you in the cabin. I recently went from a normal rear exit to a side exit near the back of the cab. While it is a bit louder standing next to it, it is MUCH louder inside with how much closer it is.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So aftermarket muffler. Factory tips and pipes. All the shop did was cut the pipes off the oem muffler and welded them back on to the aftermarket muffler.
The factory hangers for each pipe we're still there just not connected in the rubber grommets so pipes just hanging.

One tip dragged the pavement so scratched up but only on the bottom at least.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Length of the muffler install was off compared to stock so hangers were not seated correctly.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Length of the muffler install was off compared to stock so hangers were not seated correctly.
They added some pipe to the aftermarket mufflers due to this.
I got under the truck today and muffler is there nice and tight to the inlet pipe. Just weird that both pipes decided to eat dust at the same time haha. This shop wasnt cheap either so you would think they would of done a good job since thats all they do there is exhausts

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Price has no bearing on muffler shops, some do great work, some I think hijack a local crackhead and hand him a torch and a hammer.
years ago I had to redo a dual system myself as the big chain muffler shop butchered the job.