2017 Ram 1500 2wd 5.7, transmission has a "bump" when releasing the brake petal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericgray1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2017 Ram 1500 2wd 5.7
I bought my truck a few years ago. The symptom has pretty much happened since I got it and has not gotten better or worse.
The only way I can describe it...
While in Drive, and after coming to a complete stop, when I lift my foot off the brake petal the transmission does this "bump". It does not always happen every time I stop but as long as I am driving the truck it does happen at some point. It has never worsened. Pretty much stayed the same consistency the last few years. Its never bothered me enough to dig into it. Now it is just a matter of curiosity. No check engine light or warning lights concerning the transmission either.

Thanks for your input!

PS. This "bump" has been occurring long before I did my Rough Country Intake system.

Last edited:

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have personally never had this problem ,but have read where others have had this problem and the fix was grease the drive shaft slip at the trans

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have personally never had this problem ,but have read where others have had this problem and the fix was grease the drive shaft slip at the trans
+1 I came here to say the same. Don't know if you have a single piece driveshaft or two piece, but either way, lube those slip areas. Will most likely require the dropping of the driveshaft to properly do. Some units have grease zerks, but usually not on current vehicles. That's where I'd start.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will add also, if you're not familiar with that type of service, BE SURE TO CHOCK YOUR WHEELS and set emergency brake prior to removing driveshaft. You don't want to find out why while you're under there :) Also, mark your alignment orientation of shaft to yoke so that you can put it back in the same orientation. It's a good practice to put it back in the same orientation as was prior.

OP
OP
E

ericgray1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 I came here to say the same. Don't know if you have a single piece driveshaft or two piece, but either way, lube those slip areas. Will most likely require the dropping of the driveshaft to properly do. Some units have grease zerks, but usually not on current vehicles. That's where I'd start.
Ok, I will get up under the truck and take a look at this.

CBake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I will get up under the truck and take a look at this.
From your description, I believe I have the same issue. I recently bought a 2016 ram 1500 crew with the two piece rear drive shaft. My ONLY complaint on the truck is exactly what you’re experiencing. I’ve read through several threads here (sorry I don’t know enough to link, but search “driveshaft clunk”) and I also now believe it’s the driveshaft. I also initially thought transmission, then suspected the rear end, but I think it’s drive shaft.

I went to the dealer who sold to me, and they ultimately agree the drive shaft is the likely culprit…but OEM replacement drive shafts are back ordered. Another shop looked and confirmed not transmission issues, but said nothing is wrong AT ALL. It is way too pronounced in my opinion to be nothing.

I haven’t tried the lubrication approach several have advocated but i think I am going to. I am thinking about an aftermarket replacement too.
After driving the truck for about a month, I can almost force it to happen / predict it when will happen:
- if I come to a slow, complete stop, it happens nearly 100% of the time upon acceleration
- if I don’t come to a complete stop, I don’t think I have ever felt it during acceleration.
- if I brake firmly coming to complete stop, I can often force the “clunk” to happen on braking so I don’t feel on acceleration…. That’s not every time though.
- if I’m come to a complete stop on a down hill, it will sometimes happen when I release the brake, before I ever hit the accelerator. That’s why I’m pretty convinced it’s not trans related.

It’s annoying and feels problematic but both the shop and the dealer who looked at mine are saying it’s not an issue… or at least not an issue worth hurrying to fix. Personally, I’m thinking new drive shaft.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
From your description, I believe I have the same issue. I recently bought a 2016 ram 1500 crew with the two piece rear drive shaft. My ONLY complaint on the truck is exactly what you’re experiencing. I’ve read through several threads here (sorry I don’t know enough to link, but search “driveshaft clunk”) and I also now believe it’s the driveshaft. I also initially thought transmission, then suspected the rear end, but I think it’s drive shaft.

I went to the dealer who sold to me, and they ultimately agree the drive shaft is the likely culprit…but OEM replacement drive shafts are back ordered. Another shop looked and confirmed not transmission issues, but said nothing is wrong AT ALL. It is way too pronounced in my opinion to be nothing.

I haven’t tried the lubrication approach several have advocated but i think I am going to. I am thinking about an aftermarket replacement too.
After driving the truck for about a month, I can almost force it to happen / predict it when will happen:
- if I come to a slow, complete stop, it happens nearly 100% of the time upon acceleration
- if I don’t come to a complete stop, I don’t think I have ever felt it during acceleration.
- if I brake firmly coming to complete stop, I can often force the “clunk” to happen on braking so I don’t feel on acceleration…. That’s not every time though.
- if I’m come to a complete stop on a down hill, it will sometimes happen when I release the brake, before I ever hit the accelerator. That’s why I’m pretty convinced it’s not trans related.

It’s annoying and feels problematic but both the shop and the dealer who looked at mine are saying it’s not an issue… or at least not an issue worth hurrying to fix. Personally, I’m thinking new drive shaft.
Use a graphite based anti-seaze to lube the splines on the slip joint,it works better and lasts longer then grease