2018 Ram ecodiesel accelerator lag issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankmurr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a 2018 Ram ecodiesel and recently it started experiencing a distinct lag time between the time I step on the accelerator and the response of the engine. This occurs when I am turning from one street to another. It feels like the transmission is in a higher gear and it takes about a second before it responds. If I have given it a decent amount of pedal, then suddenly it will lurch forward as if it suddenly shifted down to a lower gear. I do not have a check engine light and it seems to be getting worse daily. I do not have the same issue when starting from a full stop. Please post any similar issues and the fix if you were able to find one.

OP
OP
F

Frankmurr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So far I have cleaned the Mass air flow sensor, Had the local dealer update the Electronic Power Module and run a bottle of Techron Diesel injector through it. Much better, but still not working as it did three months ago when I purchased it. I have almost 200 people read my post and not one reply. Am I the only one with this issue?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
IMHO to clean up injectors & combustion chamber I would use Archoil 6400D along with hooking to a loaded trailer and driving it none stop for a few hours

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Sounds like turbo lag. All the Cummins and most diesels have it to one degree or another.
My 2016 6.7 has it most pronounced when I have coasted for a bit on the highway and then go to accelerate. You can try a Banks Pedal Monster to help with the pedal feel. However, it will not reduce the time it takes for the turbo to spool up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Frankmurr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Thanks for the replys. I was on the phone with a service rep this morning and turbo lag was the best guess. My concern is that 3 months ago, the response was immediate.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Turbo lag doesn't just start. It is an inherent in the design. No explanation for why you are just now noticing it.

mcginner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Have the fuel pressure checked, make sure your in tank pump is good.
Should be 70 psi if I remember correctly.