2019+ RAM HD Frame vs 2017+ Ford HD frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgefan1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hello,

after years of looking i pretty much gave up on a heavier Ram (or Ford) chassis like 4500/5500, since they are just way to rare over here.

So i guess a Ram 3500 or Ford F-350 (SRW) would be the best basis for an offroad overlander (i dont like the weak engiens of most european alternatives and old Unimog are way to slow, while new ones are way to expensive and wide). GMs are not so interesting since they dont have a solid axle in the front no more.

Now i know the Ford got the beefier front axles and the Ram the stronger rear (talking SRW of course), but what is really interesting to me are the differences in the frame design, IF those are true.

Because i got the measurements of the Ford HD frame design that is still in use from an owner and its pretty damn imressive, with the frame rails beeing massive 240x90x4.5mm (0.94x0.35x 0.18) in the most stressed mid-section.

Compared to that the RAMs data i found in sheets sound a bit small, with only 190x80x4mm (0.75x0.31x0.16) Can anyone who owns such a rig say something about the truth of that?

Of course i know there are also other facors like crossmember designe, steel quality etc. but this would be such a massive difference in the height of the rails, that it really makes me wonder how Ram can keep up in terms of towing and payload?

I mean a smaller front axle can be upgraded, but the frame is not to be touched by regulations over here.

Kind regards,

Marcus

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
It may have been an older article I saw, but from what I understand, the Ram's frames are hydroformed from 50KSI steel and that there are more cross members (8 cross members)

50 ksi steel, or 50 kilopounds per square inch, is a high-strength, low-alloy steel with a minimum yield strength of 50,000 pounds per square inch (psi) in both tension and compression. It also has a minimum tensile strength of 65 ksi. KSI measures the tensile strength of steel, which is the maximum amount of axial stress a material can withstand before breaking.

The frame of the RAM may not be as big as the Ford's dimensions, but it sounds like it is lighter and more than likely as strong if not stronger.

OP
OP
D

Dodgefan1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yeah this video is from the old times when Ford used open C channel frames. But 2017+ they also switched from 36PSI to 50k PSI and used hydroforming too.

OP
OP
D

Dodgefan1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hm ok so i guess Ford got the stronger rails then, since if there isnt something we are overlooking, the size difference would make to big of a difference.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a 2016 F350 single rear wheel, regular cab, long bed truck that I did a fair amount of off-road travel with, sometimes on difficult trails. It had a small suspension lift and oversized tires, and I had installed a Detroit locker in the rear differential, so it actually worked fairly well. The frame flexed so badly that the front of the bed dented the rear of the cab on both sides. And I broke a fiberglass shell I had on the bed by flexing the shell so badly.

Go ahead and buy the Ford, but a Ram is a better truck.

OP
OP
D

Dodgefan1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well yeah the older frame was fairly flexible, but i was wondering about the 2017+ Ford HDs which are also fully boxed.