2020 Ram Bighorn 4x2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ragarm33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased the truck used a month ago and the drivers seat it appears to be causing shoulder and neck pain. I have the 5-seating Bighorn with the console so base bucket seats I believe. I have tried every combination of settings on the seat to no avail. I have purchased seat cushions both for the seat and the back. I have let out air and running the tires at 36 psi just to see if a better ride would help. The truck drives good. My wife and son have no problem when they drive it. The family Suburban does not hurt my shoulders/neck nor does my Son's Honda Civic. I am looking for help and relief.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has to be how you're sitting. There are three separate switches to adjust the seat - depending on trim level - and also another switch to control your pedal position (on the steering column), and then a lever to control the steering wheel tilt. Shoulder/neck pain is caused by improper angle of your head while viewing the instrument cluster or having to move it constantly to see the cluster, or bad angle of the seat (usually too far back). When you make adjustments, do it without additional cushions or anything else - you want to adjust the seat first.

1) Adjust seat back so that it is as straight up/down as possible, so that your shoulders are directly over or slightly behind your hips. This can be uncomfortable at first, but keeping your shoulders as close to being directly above your hips will help eventually.
2) Adjust the seat height so that when you look straight ahead, you see only the top of your dash, but can move your eyes down and see the instrument gauge cluster - without tilting your head down.
3) Now - if your truck is equipped with 8-way adjustment on the seat, bring the front of the seat up/down a little, and the back up/down a little, then readjust the seat back - again, trying to maintain a shoulders directly above or slightly behind your hips. The point of this is to support the thighs and buttocks, while maintaining proper posture, and at the same time not putting too much pressure on your knees, buttocks, or lower lumbar.
4) Adjust your steering wheel to where it is comfortable. You will probably NOT be able to see the top of the cluster (turn signals, and a couple of other indicators - but this is fine.) Ideally your elbows should be slightly in front of your body while your hands are at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions on the steering wheel.
5) Slide your seat forward/back so that your feet just reach the pedals while at the same time maintaining 4) above - you might need to play with these two points until you are comfortable.
6) If your pedals are adjustable, combine with 4) and 5) above: you want your feet to be able to reach the pedals, with your legs at a comfortable angle, but NOT have to draw your knees up, while your heel is resting on the floor. When you push the pedals with the ball of your foot, it should be a simple rotation motion at the ankle.
7) Lastly, if you have lumbar adjustment, you'll need to pump it up from time to time to provide support to the lower back (It's an adjustable air pillow).

The biggest thing is to maintain your shoulders above your hips as much as possible, with your elbows slightly forward while your hands rest on the steering wheel, and minimize movement of your head while shifting between viewing the road and the instrument cluster.

If your seat has memory, set it by pushing the center button on the memory switch, then push the 1 (or 2). If someone adjusts your seat and you need to get back to your setting, just push 1 (or 2) the next time you start your truck, before you begin driving.

It can take a while to get used to this - but it will help.

OP
OP
R

ragarm33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will give it a go and appreciate the response. I sit the same way in the other vehicles and no issues. Different vehicles, different seats, different controls but no pain. So, when i sit in those and adjust the seat to my comfort and drive no issues. I can go out and just sit in the truck and my pain starts without even starting or driving the truck. I know this sounds weird. I did drive the truck for a test drive twice and the second time was for 25 minutes. I told the salesman i nee to be sure. I guess no pain because the irritation level was not reached? My commute to work is 45 minutes so i think the repetitive irritation has my shoulders/neck just sore. I appreciate the reply and will give it a a go but i have tried sitting more straight up with the seat back right against my back...more straight up with a little tilt back as you are describing. No joy. This is weird because i have lower back issue and my lower back is just fine...it is the upper torso shoulders/neck that become painful. I am looking for after market options for seats?

OP
OP
R

ragarm33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should ask if anyone else finds the basic bucket seats in the bighorn to be stiff and uncomfortable? Your remedy?

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am pretty sure they are the same seats they just replace the center seat with a console.my ram seats are very comfortable.how many miles on the truck ?seat foam could be broken down especially if a big fella had the truck before.