24/1500 classic oil catch worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevsRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi everyone I’ve had the truck for a year now. Been somewhat quiet on the forums lately as life get us busy and away from our hobbies . Been reading and seeing a lot of oil catch can installs . Are they worth it on our Hemi5.7 engine and does anyone have pic and the before and after thought ?
Looking for feed back and recommendation if any

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone I’ve had the truck for a year now. Been somewhat quiet on the forums lately as life get us busy and away from our hobbies . Been reading and seeing a lot of oil catch can installs . Are they worth it on our Hemi5.7 engine and does anyone have pic and the before and after thought ?
I think they are worth it and I know its a unpopular opinion. Mine I have to emty every 2k miles by then its 3/4 full. I use a billet technology catch can

OP
OP
KevsRam23

KevsRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think they are worth it and I know its an unpopular opinion. Mine I have to emty every 2k miles by then its 3/4 full. I use a billet technology catch can
Thanks I was reading up a bunch and found this one on AT

J&L 3.0 Oil Separator; Black Anodized; Passenger Side​

Looks promising for what it is. Just never thought about it before and more and more in reading it sound like they are good to have. So would you say your emptying it about half way down your to your oil change bases on your miles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Looks promising for what it is. Just never thought about it before and more and more in reading it sound like they are good to have. So would you say your emptying it about half way down your to your oil change bases on your miles.
Look for one that uses a drain valve instead.I perfer Moroso cans,but they're a bit pricey.

This is the same can on Amazon.ca,even though it says Mustang

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yes its a little less then half I change my oil every 5k miles and emty the catch can every 2k miles. Its funny on my 5.7l challenger I only have to empty it every 5k miles and its not even half full. Im sure the brand does not matter. For me it can not hurt anything. I just like billet technology ones. The one I have now is one I removed off the challenger that I traded in for my Ram.

OP
OP
KevsRam23

KevsRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys I’ll keep shopping and see what other chime in with :)

I would prefer black if at all for future part ;) a little less noticeable in the engine area for when I take it in for service hahah

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the Moroso but I can not say that one is better than another, I will only say that I'm glad I installed one.

My 2014 has 110,000 miles on it. I installed my catch can about 2k miles after the last oil change, and then checked it 2k miles later right before the next oil change. It was about 1/2 full of crap that would have gone in to my intake/throttlebody if the can didn't stop it.

I'm already about 500 miles into my current oil change. I plan to check again at about the 2000 mile point. I posted pics here somewhere a couple weeks ago.

OP
OP
KevsRam23

KevsRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My truck has 19k km on it and hitting it year mark in a couple weeks but I want to give it the pampered treatment of long life. So this topic came up and. Searching for option. Would love to see the installed pics

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My truck has 19k km on it and hitting it year mark in a couple weeks but I want to give it the pampered treatment of long life. So this topic came up and. Searching for option. Would love to see the installed pics
The farther away you mount it from engine heat,the better they work.The Moroso can be mounted to the rad bolts.If you want black,it's easy enough to paint it.

Attachments

• IMG_3987.JPG
    IMG_3987.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3992.JPG
    IMG_3992.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I have UPR catch can from Site Vendor . He gave very good price, shipped it to Canada.

I added Drain Kit. They have different brands, send @Nick@GotExhaust a message see what price/items he has.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We recommend the UPR catch can. That is the one I run on my personal vehicle. If you would like a quote on one message me with your address and I can provide a quote with shipping to Canada.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Look for one that uses a drain valve instead.I perfer Moroso cans,but they're a bit pricey.

This is the same can on Amazon.ca,even though it says Mustang

I had this one on the 2017 Rebel I used to own. Now it's sitting on a shelf in my garage because it wasn't made for a 5th gen and I was too lazy to figure out how to mount it. LOL So I bought a Mishimoto CC made for a 5th gen. I did pull the valve off the Moroso and installed it in the Mishimoto. I empty it few months. I know it's not needed on a Hemi but I'm glad that crud isn't going through the intake.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had purchased one for my 2016 1500. This truck I had purchased used back in 10/19. One day while driving down the highway my truck let out a massive cloud of smoke out of the exhaust, so much so I was convinced that the engine suffered a massive failure and started pulling over. But the truck wasn't performing any different or losing power and I kept going. What happened was that a build up of carbon had accumulated on my exhaust valves from the oil that was ingested in the intake with the stock system and broke off and cooked in my cat, making the smoke. The amount of cooked oil on my throttle body butterfly was very notable. After cleaning the throttle body and installing a nice billet $43 CC from eBay, I've never had a reoccurrence. Also my TB is spotless and my valves stems are spotless (had to redo exhaust manifolds so I checked them). I empty approx 3-4 ounces out on every oil change. I am a believer in them helping keep from the TB through the intake manifold to my valves clean.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240806-214539.png
    Screenshot_20240806-214539.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 6

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
When I got my truck tuned the tuner highly recommended installing a catch can, I check it a couple times between oil changes, never over 1/2 full.

Attachments

• IMG_9400.jpeg
    IMG_9400.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9450.jpeg
    IMG_9450.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 16

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
By the way ..

In a post above, it was mentioned that a Black Catch Can was preferred, so the Dealership would not notice it.

Air / Oil Separators used to be on almost every vehicle made,
they are now called Catch Cans

Catch Cans are Emissions Legal, because they are an Improvement in the Current system, better Fuel Mileage & Cleaner Exhaust.

The Carburetor or Throttle Bodies were never meant for Oil to pass through them

OP
OP
KevsRam23

KevsRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We recommend the UPR catch can. That is the one I run on my personal vehicle. If you would like a quote on one message me with your address and I can provide a quote with shipping to Canada.

Thanks will do I’ll send you a msg shortly to see!

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I think they are worth it and I know its a unpopular opinion. Mine I have to empty every 2k miles by then its 3/4 full. I use a billet technology catch can
Agreed, this is an invaluable maintenance item for our engines.

I too, use a BT oil catch can, and like it for easy access and service. Their "Z" bracket makes it very user friendly.

@Mb7640 - perhaps I'm incorrect, but being 3/4 full every 2k miles seems a bit much, in my opinion.

I've had a BT can on my 19' (purchased new then), and now my new 23'.

Currently, I just emptied out my can with 13,000Km's of use going through it, and it wasn't that full.

On my 19' I would empty it after the third oil change (say 15,000Km's to 18,000Km's of use between cleanings) and it still wouldn't be that full.

Nonetheless, just seeing what is collected and NOT going back into our engines is proof enough for me that the oil catch can is a worthy maintenance item to install on ones engine.