24/1500 classic oil catch worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed, this is an invaluable maintenance item for our engines.

I too, use a BT oil catch can, and like it for easy access and service. Their "Z" bracket makes it very user friendly.

@Mb7640 - perhaps I'm incorrect, but being 3/4 full every 2k miles seems a bit much, in my opinion.

I've had a BT can on my 19' (purchased new then), and now my new 23'.

Currently, I just emptied out my can with 13,000Km's of use going through it, and it wasn't that full.

On my 19' I would empty it after the third oil change (say 15,000Km's to 18,000Km's of use between cleanings) and it still wouldn't be that full.

Nonetheless, just seeing what is collected and NOT going back into our engines is proof enough for me that the oil catch can is a worthy maintenance item to install on ones engine.
I agree it seems like a lot but the truck has no issues. It has been doing it since day 1 with 10 miles on it. I dont really worry about it I just empty it every 2k miles. I figured being a 5.7l it would be the same as the challenger 5.7l which I had to empty every 5k miles. I am just glad I have it. I agree with the z bracket makes it very easy to empty

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I agree it seems like a lot but the truck has no issues. It has been doing it since day 1 with 10 miles on it. I dont really worry about it I just empty it every 2k miles. I figured being a 5.7l it would be the same as the challenger 5.7l which I had to empty every 5k miles. I am just glad I have it. I agree with the z bracket makes it very easy to empty
Agreed, and Brother, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
While I can appreciate all these fancy catch cans, I bought an inexpensive version that will do the job, AFAIK, and it cost less than $40.

The hose they included is crappy but I'm sure I have something better.

If the tube is on the outlet side of things,i'd be worried about it still sucking crap back into the intake

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the tube is on the outlet side of things,i'd be worried about it still sucking crap back into the intake

It came with floppy limp tubing not full of holes and I have no intention of using it for the CC anyway. :cool:

I was thinking of trying out fuel line hose because I have lots lying around from building stage bottle kits for scuba.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It came with floppy limp tubing not full of holes and I have no intention of using it for the CC anyway. :cool:

I was thinking of trying out fuel line hose because I have lots lying around from building stage bottle kits for scuba.

Keep an eye on the hose to make sure it's not collsaping when it's hot,as long as it's decent quality hose it'll work though.
Actually after looking it over closer,it might not be all that bad,especially for the price

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Keep an eye on the hose to make sure it's not collsaping when it's hot,as long as it's decent quality hose it'll work though.
Actually after looking it over closer,it might not be all that bad,especially for the price
I bought a similar one for my F150. It was about double the price of that one but came with much better hose, which came cut to length and included Ford's funky push on fasteners. It catches quite a lot of crud. But it's got over 120k miles on the clock so not really unexpected. Even so I only have to empty it every six months when I change the oil. But I do like that it has a dip stick so I can easily keep an eye on it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I figured for the price, I could use my own tubing or buy some fancy tubing and still be ahead of the game. As mentioned, I have at least 15' of quality name-brand fuel line from CTC, if it fits OK.

I bought a similar one for my F150. It was about double the price of that one but came with much better hose, which came cut to length and included Ford's funky push on fasteners. It catches quite a lot of crud. But it's got over 120k miles on the clock so not really unexpected. Even so I only have to empty it every six months when I change the oil. But I do like that it has a dip stick so I can easily keep an eye on it.

The DIP stick feature was a selling point for me too. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevsRam23

KevsRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Agreed, this is an invaluable maintenance item for our engines.

I too, use a BT oil catch can, and like it for easy access and service. Their "Z" bracket makes it very user friendly.

@Mb7640 - perhaps I'm incorrect, but being 3/4 full every 2k miles seems a bit much, in my opinion.

I've had a BT can on my 19' (purchased new then), and now my new 23'.

Currently, I just emptied out my can with 13,000Km's of use going through it, and it wasn't that full.

On my 19' I would empty it after the third oil change (say 15,000Km's to 18,000Km's of use between cleanings) and it still wouldn't be that full.

Nonetheless, just seeing what is collected and NOT going back into our engines is proof enough for me that the oil catch can is a worthy maintenance item to install on ones engine.
Can you send a pic of your install

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Can you send a pic of your install
I purchased the Billet Technology full package with their premium hoses, color matched hose end caps, and black fittings. This one was on my 19' which was a Hydro Pearl Blue color, hence the color of it, but, I wasn't losing it with my trade it in, so it's on my new truck now.

I also installed a K&N breather filter as well, removing the plastic tube from the breather to the upper airbox lid cover.
Capped that with a Dorman vacuum cap, removed the charcoal filter pad thingy under the lid cover, and then did the 6.4 lower airbox and air intake horn upgrade, and use the 6.4 air filter, too.

I also have the Legmaker crossover mid-tube kit. Yes, for some bling, but more so because it also really cleans up the air going to the throttle body with its 4" carbon fiber tube and silicone bits. It comes with the IAT extension to relocate the IAT to the air intake horn.

Attachments

• 20240809_093455.jpg
    20240809_093455.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240809_093508.jpg
    20240809_093508.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240809_093516.jpg
    20240809_093516.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240809_093524.jpg
    20240809_093524.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240809_093534.jpg
    20240809_093534.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240809_093543.jpg
    20240809_093543.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a couple pics of my Mishimoto when it was installed on the 2021 Limited I used to own.
That's the same one I have, but I've not yet installed the drain plug. Did it come with the rubber cap? I don't recall.seeing one in the drain kit I bought from them.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
That's the same one I have, but I've not yet installed the drain plug. Did it come with the rubber cap? I don't recall.seeing one in the drain kit I bought from them.
No, I didn't buy the Mishimoto drain kit. I pulled the valve (including rubber cap) off of the Moroso CC and installed it on the Mishimoto.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No, I didn't buy the Mishimoto drain kit. I pulled the valve (including rubber cap) off of the Moroso CC and installed it on the Mishimoto.
If you swap out the 90 drain for a straight drain,then you can stick a hose on it so it'll drain under the truck into a catch pan Mike.That's what i've done to my 3 Moroso cans.It's not a big deal on the trucks,but on the cars,it's makes draining them alot nicer.I don't know why they don't come with both a straight fitting and a 90,for what Moroso charges for the cans,they should come with both style of drain fittings

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
If you swap out the 90 drain for a straight drain,then you can stick a hose on it so it'll drain under the truck into a catch pan Mike.That's what i've done to my 3 Moroso cans.It's not a big deal on the trucks,but on the cars,it's makes draining them alot nicer.I don't know why they don't come with both a straight fitting and a 90,for what Moroso charges for the cans,they should come with both style of drain fittings
I considered doing that, but it’s easy enough to drain it into a disposable coffee cup from above LOL.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what the Mishimoto drain plug is, straight down with hose. Not sure why I bought it as I could have just gone to Menards and gotten some fittings and hose.

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Forgive the dumb question, but where is this oil coming from? Is this pcv that is fed back into the intake manifold?
Assume these are being added to 5.7 hemis?