3.6 water in transmission after new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steiblerm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently had to swap out the engine in 2017 ram 3.6 the engine runs very well, but I noticed the transmission was making a weird noise so I pulled out the filler plug and white oil came out so I'm assuming the water I put in the radiator was mixing into transmission. Does anybody know how something like that could even happen?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I recently had to swap out the engine in 2017 ram 3.6 the engine runs very well, but I noticed the transmission was making a weird noise so I pulled out the filler plug and white oil came out so I'm assuming the water I put in the radiator was mixing into transmission. Does anybody know how something like that could even happen?
Look at the thermal management unit (aka: coolant heater) on the side of the transmission,as it's the only thing that can send coolant into the transmission

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I will check it out. Can I by pass it?
You can pull the coolant hoses off it,and "T" them together then drain the coolant out of the heater. The 3.6's use a differant coolant heater then the 5.7's use,and it has a rep of leaking coolant into the transmission.
There was a guy on one of the facebook pages yelling about it just a day or 2 ago,he was on his 4th coolant heater on his 3.6's transmission.
The hoses are a bit of a pain to get at,you'll want a pair of the proper hose clamp pliars to get at the clamps to remove them.
This style of pliars is what i use on newer hose clamps that are a pain to get at.

OP
OP
S

Steiblerm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you! So I would T the red and blue lines? Do you think that's where water is getting in the transmission?