33” tire reprogram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have no idea how to use this or how to get one the AlphaOBD

There are a few other less expensive options if you're only looking to change tire sizes for speedo accuracy but nothing as powerful as AlfaOBD software that only costs $50.

There will be other costs for an interface (Bluetooth or usb) and security bypass cable, regardless of which software solution you choose.

I prefer to use a Windows laptop for reliability when making changes to my truck but many others use an Android phone or tablet.

And I prefer a hardline USB interface for stability, reliability, speed, and safely when altering the operations of truck modules but many users prefer to spend more $ for a Bluetooth solution.

You might choose to save $20 on the cost of the software app, if you're satisfied with the limitations of the less useful app.

And, if you can't be bothered with a DIY solution, you can likely find a tire shop or aftermarket parts store that you can pay to make these changes.

When I fine tuned my wheel size using AlfaOBD, I tweaked the settings a few time for a precise adjustment. It was very easy to complete.

I appreciate accuracy for measurements and my speedo calibration and in today's world, doubt there are many stores that would make such an effort.

If you decide that you would prefer to make your own adjustments, there are many members here who can assist you in learning your preferred method.

To learn a bit more about AlfaOBD, checkout the following thread;

BTW, I have no affiliation with AlfaOBD, only a happy user and fan. :cool:

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RAMdriver, it says "supports 2013 to 2018" does that mean that my 2011 can't use it?

OP
OP
21SilverRam

21SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are a few other less expensive options if you're only looking to change tire sizes for speedo accuracy but nothing as powerful as AlfaOBD software that only costs $50.

There will be other costs for an interface (Bluetooth or usb) and security bypass cable, regardless of which software solution you choose.

I prefer to use a Windows laptop for reliability when making changes to my truck but many others use an Android phone or tablet.

And I prefer a hardline USB interface for stability, reliability, speed, and safely when altering the operations of truck modules but many users prefer to spend more $ for a Bluetooth solution.

You might choose to save $20 on the cost of the software app, if you're satisfied with the limitations of the less useful app.

And, if you can't be bothered with a DIY solution, you can likely find a tire shop or aftermarket parts store that you can pay to make these changes.

When I fine tuned my wheel size using AlfaOBD, I tweaked the settings a few time for a precise adjustment. It was very easy to complete.

I appreciate accuracy for measurements and my speedo calibration and in today's world, doubt there are many stores that would make such an effort.

If you decide that you would prefer to make your own adjustments, there are many members here who can assist you in learning your preferred method.

To learn a bit more about AlfaOBD, checkout the following thread;

BTW, I have no affiliation with AlfaOBD, only a happy user and fan. :cool:

Thank for your help!
Take care,
Matt

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
RAMdriver, it says "supports 2013 to 2018" does that mean that my 2011 can't use it?
AlfaOBD can be used on earlier years but is not as capable.

Bocaloco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up buying the Procal to adjust my tire size. On my 2024.
The problem I have now though is the new wheels and tires came with aftermarket TPMS’ and the truck isn’t picking them up. The dealer wants $500 to have them scanned and fixed. F THAT! So now I drive around with all 6 wheels showing no tire pressure. Annoying as hell, but I’m not paying $500, and independent shops said they can’t do them.

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 275/60r20(33") as stock on my '19 classic. My speed/odom was off with that size. It is correct when I went up to 305/55R20(33.2). I now run 275/65/20(34.1)and speed ometer is about 1.5mi slower than actual speed at 60. The truck feels like it should have come with the 275/65r20s from the factory.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, the online tire size calculators are only a guesstimate.

The tire manufacturer's spec is better.

The best method to calibrate the speedo is using AlfaOBD with an old standalone GPS and a calculator.

It all depends on how well your medication is working or not working, for the importance of the accuracy.

What's the point of a speedo if it's only close to the true velocity. :cool:

Formally get this as I spent weeks trying to get mine dialed in with alfaODB going from stock to a 34.5

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have no idea how to use this or how to get one the AlphaOBD
Then probably best to find someone who knows what they are doing. One time when I made adjustment, I had what felt like no power steering. Pretty sure it was an abs issue as the setting hadn’t taken.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

As crash68 mentioned, you still have options to change with a 2011 Ram truck using AlfaOBD, just not as many.

Your best bet would be to spend time exploring the thread linked to determine if those options are of interest.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank for your help!
Take care,
Matt

You're most welcome.

Feel free to ask any questions about the process of using AlfaOBD, there are many members here with lots of experience who can assist you.

One of the best security bypass cables is made by Kaodtech, a member here.

I prefer to use a Windows laptop and a hardline USB interface for speed, security, and reliability. When making changes to the brain of my truck, I'm taking serious precautions.

Many users successfully use an Android phone or tablet with a wireless interface connection. I haven't heard too many horror stories, but my past career in Telecom prevents me from using or endorsing this methodology. :cool:

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up buying the Procal to adjust my tire size. On my 2024.
The problem I have now though is the new wheels and tires came with aftermarket TPMS’ and the truck isn’t picking them up. The dealer wants $500 to have them scanned and fixed. F THAT! So now I drive around with all 6 wheels showing no tire pressure. Annoying as hell, but I’m not paying $500, and independent shops said they can’t do them.

If the dealer wants $500 for 10 minutes of work, they're thieves and I would never give them another moment of my time.

Many years ago I had the same fun with my Tundra. I finally found an aftermarket parts shop that did the TPMS activation for $20 or $30.

There are many TPMS reader/relearn tools available for much less than $500.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 275/60r20(33") as stock on my '19 classic. My speed/odom was off with that size. It is correct when I went up to 305/55R20(33.2). I now run 275/65/20(34.1)and speed ometer is about 1.5mi slower than actual speed at 60. The truck feels like it should have come with the 275/65r20s from the factory.

Just because my truck came with a specific brand of 275/65/20 tires does not translate to that same size of tire from another manufacturer having the same circumference size, they're all a bit different.

It is the circumference size that will impact the speedometer/odometer, nothing else.

There are many different apps available to calibrate to different-sized tires but you will also require a security bypass cable for 2018+ Ram vehicles.

I used a standalone GPS with AlfaOBD to calibrate my speedometer/odometer and had it nailed after a few tweaks. I had already purchased AlfaOBD to make other changes to my truck.

Or, you can contact an aftermarket tire or parts store and pay them to make the changes.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Formally get this as I spent weeks trying to get mine dialed in with alfaODB going from stock to a 34.5

I scanned through the many default sizes listed in AlfaOBD, chose the closest size to my tires, and then took a drive with the standalone GPS.

When you go to the circumference size again in AlfaOBD, it lists the size in millimetres.

Next, I calculated the percentage of error using a calculator, modified the circumference size by that amount twice and had it nailed.

Then probably best to find someone who knows what they are doing. One time when I made adjustment, I had what felt like no power steering. Pretty sure it was an abs issue as the setting hadn’t taken.

If you read the warning in the tire size calibration area, you may have to run the ABS initialization procedure.

AlfaOBD tire size ABS warning.jpg

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I scanned through the many default sizes listed in AlfaOBD, chose the closest size to my tires, and then took a drive with the standalone GPS.

When you go to the circumference size again in AlfaOBD, it lists the size in millimetres.

Next, I calculated the percentage of error using a calculator, modified the circumference size by that amount twice and had it nailed.

If you read the warning in the tire size calibration area, you may have to run the ABS initialization procedure.

View attachment 542477

Possibly but I have a 15 and it seems some have to do the extra step and some don’t. I shut it off and started and it was gone, no more feeling like I had no power steering.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 542477

I ended up asking some guys what they had done and got me in the ballpark.