3rd gen 5.7 hemi to 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been thinking about swapping in the 3rd gen 5.7 into my 2nd gen. All the threads I have read through are basically just before and after pictures and video and are not real informative on the actual swap. I am fully aware there will need to be rewiring done, that doesn't bother me at all. I have done over 20 swaps from 4 cylinders to big blocks with my first dating back to when I was 16, I'm 25 now. With that said I would say I'm pretty set mechanically and experience wise.

I'm mainly looking for info as to if it is a direct bolt in or if not which mounts I would need to use from either generation. Also if anyone has a pinout for the 3rd gen pcm/ecm/ecu as well as the 2nd gen. I plan on using the 3rd gen harness so I am not screwing around with plugs and whatnot and plan to wire my 2nd gen cab harness inline with the 3rd gen harness. And then later on throwing in a 3rd gen cluster as well. That's after everything is done though, my primary focus is getting it swapped in and I can figure out the wiring on my own.
Questions, comments, concerns, advice.. lets hear it! I need to get this build rollin!

*And on a side note, if you're interested in making extra money for your own build click the link in my sig. That is what is funding this project haha no joke. DO NOT comment on this thread about it though because it would be counterproductive to what I am trying to get figured out for myself, rather, PM me if you have questions about it*

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You might contact the member on here 98Hemi Ram. He has a 5.7 in his 98 Ram Sport.

OP
OP
98_ram

98_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright cool thanks!

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey man I got your pm and am happy to help out however I can I'll PM you a link to my build thread since it's on a different forum and can't post it here.

Your truck being a 4x4 might make the motor mounts different. I know the Hemi mounts are different between the 4x4's and 2wds. Can't remember on the 2nd gens though since I don't access to a 4x4 to check on.

Anyways I used the stock 2wd Hemi mounts and surprisingly they fell perfectly into the frame mounts on my 98!! Now the motor sat way to high and un-level the TB would've hit the firewall so we took a grinder and made the notches deeper to level out the motor and give it clearance up top.

Couple pics to kind of show what I mean.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392953509.793981.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392953577.928396.jpg

As for tranny mount the stock 98 mount worked on the newer 545rfe trans and needed no modifications at all.

As far the gauges go pick up a set out of an 01-02 Dakota since they run on the same bus system as the Hemi PCM and will fit directly into your dash without cutting anything!! You will need to do some rewiring of the connectors that plug into the gauges but it's not that bad once you get to it under the dash lol.

Thought I had a pic of the 2 clusters side by side but it must be on the other computer.

Also the gas pedal will need to be changed up since the Hemi's use a drive by wire pedal and no cables. Me and my grandpa did a bunch of trial and error with some scrap steal to build a custom mount for the pedal and getting sitting comfortably. Then we bolted it to the firewall

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392954270.620800.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392954288.339170.jpg

As far as pinouts and the major wiring goes I won't be much help there since I farmed that out to Chris and the guys at hotwireauto.com they were great to deal with and took my 98's original harness and added all the Hemi stuff into it. Any questions I ran into installing it and they were very helpful setting me on the right track.

When I got the harness back it was about 95% plug and play. This wasn't all that cheap but definitely saved me a lot of headaches which I thought was worth the price.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff and if you've got anymore questions just let me know. I do have a bunch of pics to if you are looking for anything specific let me know and I'll see what I can find.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Well there ya Go! Outstanding!