4WD High backing up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500Hoosier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 MHEV
I have a 2021 Ram Big Horn. When I have the transmission set to 4WD High it feels likes the brakes are being applied when backing up. I went to a vacant lot, stopped my truck and then put the transmission in reverse and started to back up, in just a second or two I could feel the truck kind of strain to continue the reversed speed. If I take my foot off the gas the truck comes to a stop. I switch to 4WD Auto this does not happen. If I'm backing up in 4WD High and turn my steering wheel it sounds like the tires are gripping the pavement and then releasing in an on and off pattern. Again, only happens in 4WD High?
Appreciate your advice in advance.
Jim

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2021 Ram Big Horn. When I have the transmission set to 4WD High it feels likes the brakes are being applied when backing up. I went to a vacant lot, stopped my truck and then put the transmission in reverse and started to back up, in just a second or two I could feel the truck kind of strain to continue the reversed speed. If I take my foot off the gas the truck comes to a stop. I switch to 4WD Auto this does not happen. If I'm backing up in 4WD High and turn my steering wheel it sounds like the tires are gripping the pavement and then releasing in an on and off pattern. Again, only happens in 4WD High?
Appreciate your advice in advance.
Jim
Truck operates like a 2 wheel drive in 4 auto,until it senses tire slip,it doesn't have that option in 4 hi,so it acts more like a 4X4.Hopefully you aren't doing this on dry pavement,as you can damage things if you are.
As RamDiver stated seatbelt on/door closed when in gear,otherwise the truck will want to go into meltdown mode on you,lol

OP
OP

1500Hoosier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 MHEV
I am on pavement. I had to use 4WD High two weeks ago in Colorado because of snow. I don't go "4 wheeling", never go off road.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am on pavement. I had to use 4WD High two weeks ago in Colorado because of snow. I don't go "4 wheeling", never go off road.

That's what Auto is designed for.

If you use 4WD under those conditions and the front is hopping, that is causing severe driveline torsion and is apt to trash your transfer case and a few other driveline components.

OP
OP

1500Hoosier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 MHEV
Well, I feel like a BOOB... I'm reading on line that you should only use 4WD High should only be used on icy or wet conditions and NEVER on dry pavement. I left Colorado last week, it was raining and turned to ice, I lost traction and went sideways on the highway. I turned on 4WD for about 30 minutes. I'm reading that I should have the truck in 2WD most of the time. If it starts to rain or snow switch to 4WD Auto. Use 4WD high only off road or in slippery conditions under 35 MPH.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what Auto is designed for.

If you use 4WD under those conditions and the front is hopping, that is causing severe driveline torsion and is apt to trash your transfer case and a few other driveline components.

^^^ DITTO ^^^.. Will hop, bind, do all sorts of weird stuff on dry pavement. Why "I" exercise my 4WD once every couple of months about 100 feet total straight line. If U r backing up and it is totally binding and just comes to a stop, and U R only going a "short", I mean "SHORT" distance, then something not right. But if U backing and turning, yeah it will bind hard and almost stop. When it has rained a lot, I use 4WD high to put trailer in garage, but trailer is only 50-100 feet from garage. But that is just my circumstances, and terraced land that holds water, and my truck will just spin in 2WD trying to push a 2,150 lb trailer down than up a slight embankment.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I feel like a BOOB... I'm reading on line that you should only use 4WD High should only be used on icy or wet conditions and NEVER on dry pavement. I left Colorado last week, it was raining and turned to ice, I lost traction and went sideways on the highway. I turned on 4WD for about 30 minutes. I'm reading that I should have the truck in 2WD most of the time. If it starts to rain or snow switch to 4WD Auto. Use 4WD high only off road or in slippery conditions under 35 MPH.
YUP. The 1500's do not have mechanical clutches, they have electric operated clutch packs, totally different animal from old time 4WD systems.

ADDED: Unless U just moving a few feet to check operation occasionally, stay outta 4WD unless conditions really dictate. And gonna state the obvious 4WD does nothing for stopping on ice, just helps U to get Forward momentum. But U still got a 6,000 lb brick sliding on ice, lol.

All above IMHO only.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no speed limit for 4WD High (Unless there was some change to the trannys beyond my 5th Gen 2019). But if the conditions are that bad that U R operating on a highway in 4WD HI, not think I would be in a hurry. (BEEN a while since I drove in snow/ice except for the freak snowstorm here in Feb 2021). There is for 4WD low, unless U got something different for 2021. Depending upon your vehicle, U have either a 48-11 or 48-12 BW transfer case.

4WD LOW
Four-Wheel Drive Low Range — This range provides low
speed four-wheel drive. It maximizes torque (increased
torque over 4WD HIGH) to the front driveshaft; allowing
front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. This
range provides additional traction and maximum pulling
power for loose, slippery road surfaces only. Do not exceed
25 mph (40 km/h) in this range.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It's just something we all had to learn.

I live in a rural area where they don't plow too soon after big snow dumps. I don't have the 4WD Auto feature on my truck but won't hesitate to drive at 50-60 mph on the highway in 4WD with 6-8" of snow.

If the roadway has been plowed and does have a small amount of traction, sometimes the only solution is to SLOW down. :cool:

If you have the 4WD Auto feature, you're much better off but again, if you have it in Auto and you're occasionally losing traction, the obvious solution is to slow down a bit.

If you're travelling in a straight line, sometimes you can get away with 4WD during intermittent traction conditions but anything more than an ever-so-slight curve might cause driveline torsion and stress parts.

You will learn to recognize the feeling of the steering being loaded in curves, especially while backing up and know that it's time for Auto 4WD or 2WD and a slower rate of travel.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's just something we all had to learn.

I live in a rural area where they don't plow too soon after big snow dumps. I don't have the 4WD Auto feature on my truck but won't hesitate to drive at 50-60 mph on the highway in 4WD with 6-8" of snow.

If the roadway has been plowed and does have a small amount of traction, sometimes the only solution is to SLOW down. :cool:

If you have the 4WD Auto feature, you're much better off but again, if you have it in Auto and you're occasionally losing traction, the obvious solution is to slow down a bit.

If you're travelling in a straight line, sometimes you can get away with 4WD during intermittent traction conditions but anything more than an ever-so-slight curve might cause driveline torsion and stress parts.

You will learn to recognize the feeling of the steering being loaded in curves, especially while backing up and know that it's time for Auto 4WD or 2WD and a slower rate of travel.

Middle of Texas. Sir, wat's a plow???????

My snow blower:

MY SNOW BLOWER.JPG