5.7 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Broken - Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpath91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse with this one, but I have a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with 90k miles that has a broken exhaust manifold bolt on the passenger side. I'm planning on fixing it but have a few questions.

Would it be best to have the existing manifold machined flat (assuming it's warped since a bolt is broken), then put a new gasket and new bolts back in? If so, any recommendations on gaskets or hardware? I've heard Remflex gaskets can help prevent this issue going forward but am not familiar with them. Or would buying a new manifold be better? I'd like to keep it stock (no headers) since I have a warranty on it that prohibits modifications.

Since the passenger side warped, would it be best to pull the driver's side manifold and do the same thing while the bolts are still intact? I'm leaning toward the machining route since I would think the metal would be "settled" after going through so many heating/cooling cycles, and it should be less prone to warping in the future. My hunch is that if I fix the passenger side that is broken and do the driver's side before it breaks, I shouldn't have to worry about this issue for the rest of the truck's life.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This topic has been beaten to death on here. Do a search and you will find a ton of info already discussed and the answers to all your questions. Diamler should of recalled these pos manifolds.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's beaten to death. Cliff notes : Plane the existing manifold flat with belt sander. New bolts. Remflex gasket.
As to your question on drivers side... it is harder to get at and I would leave it alone if not broken.

OP
OP
C

cpath91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I realize it’s a redundant question but technology changes pretty quickly and I wasn’t sure if there were any other products out there to make things easier. I’ll likely do the Remflex/machine method on both sides to be done with it for good. Thanks everyone for the advise.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Spray down fasteners with a good penetrating agent, take your time removing bolts from the heads so you minimize damaging the threads . Closest to back are the hardest to unthread .