95 Ram 1500 Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tracykt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Hi, I have a 1995 Ram 1500 5.9 V8 with a 46rh transmission and it started to have issues shifting from 50-60 mph and would act like it couldn't choose a gear. But I took it to a shop to examine and they told me it's shot but now it's shifting completely fine. Any ideas?? Is is broken or is it fine? I'm totally confused now. I've driven it over 5 miles and it's shifted fine even going up steep hills. I just want someone's opinion on this.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I'd take it to a shop that knows and rebuilds those transmissions. Can't diag it here with limited info and not seeing it for myself. It could be a valve body issue, governor issue, TV cable issue, ect. It may have debris (clutch material) that gave them indication it needs to come apart and rebuilt.

OP
OP
T

tracykt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
I took it to a shop and they told me it was destroyed and needs to be rebuilt. Yet it's driving fine. They also lied and said my engine was bad.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Well then obviously find a different shop!!!. Also, I posted the full service manual for the 95, 96 Ram on here. Have a look at it, has real detailed info on the trans and diagnosis. Download it to your own computer so you have it permanently.